Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flared Trousers (1930's/40's)?

DCMark

New in Town
I recently won a 1940, J.L. Taylor, 3-piece, double-breasted suit on Ebay with flared, cuffed trousers. I had never heard of these from this era before. Can anyone enlighten me on their popularity, rareness, etc.? Did they totally disappear before coming back in the sixties? Thanks!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Wow, a belt-back with wide-legged trousers!?!?! That's a nice find. If you get a chance please post some pictures in the "show us your suits" thread. Welcome to the lounge.

DCMark

New in Town
Thanks for the welcome!

I will be sure to post some pics. I got my first vintage suit (white tie and tails) back in the early 80's but have recently gone on a binge since I need suits for work. We'll see what kind of reaction I get.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've seen 30s/40s trousers with 12" bottoms but never flared. none of the illustrations in those catalogues (linked above) show flared trousers either... catalogues often exaggerated things to make a point. the trousers are WIDE. there's a page in Sear's 1933 catalogue which shows trousers you'd swear were flared, but reading the description shows that they are 11" at the bottom, the standard 'wide' leg of the day.

DCMark

New in Town
Maybe that's the explanation, although in the picture they sure look flared and that's also what the description says. Hopefully I'll have them soon and will post a pic and measurements.

Edward

Bartender
Could be how the bottoms are cut, too. I've had trews that were cut slightly higher at the front than the back of the leg, to give a cleaner break over the shoe (especially common on vintage formal daywear). From some angles that can suggest a flare where there is none. That and some folks I think nowadays simply apply the term 'flares' to any wide legged trousers.

Flared trousers were popular? Like HBK, i've never seen 30s/40s trousers with serious flare, from any country. I recently had a pair of French trousers narrowed. they were ridiculous - 11 3/4 inches across the cuffs. That's about an inch longer than my feet!! But they weren't flared - just as wide at the knee as at the cuff.

Look at this: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23806

They were very popular in Britain from the mid 20's to the mid 40's, they were pretty popular in America, but not as much as there.

Feraud

Bartender
Flared trousers were popular? Like HBK, i've never seen 30s/40s trousers with serious flare, from any country. I recently had a pair of French trousers narrowed. they were ridiculous - 11 3/4 inches across the cuffs. That's about an inch longer than my feet!! But they weren't flared - just as wide at the knee as at the cuff.

That and some folks I think nowadays simply apply the term 'flares' to any wide legged trousers.

i've seen 30s/40s trousers with 12" bottoms but never flared. none of the illustrations in those catalogues (linked above) show flared trousers either... catalogues often exaggerated things to make a point. the trousers are WIDE. there's a page in Sear's 1933 catalogue which shows trousers you'd swear were flared, but reading the description shows that they are 11" at the bottom, the standard 'wide' leg of the day.

Agreed on all points.

I like this new multi-quote function..

DCMark

New in Town
Well, I got the suit today and looks like the trousers are not really "flared" after all - they are straight all the way down, so I guess it was like Edward said - they are just wide legged. It's still a nice suit. A little small in the belly so I'm hoping it can be let-out a bit. If not it will probably end-up in the classifieds here. Thanks for all the info, guys!

Derek WC

Banned
Flared trousers were popular? Like HBK, i've never seen 30s/40s trousers with serious flare, from any country.

Well, my vocabulary is kind of messed up trouser-wise. So a pair of pants can be wide at the cuff, but just be straight legged, thus not being flared at the end, or being narrower above the knee and being wider around the cuff, thus being flared. Is this correct? If so, than Flared pants were not very popular, with the possible exception of the navy.

Last edited:

DCMark

New in Town
... than Flared pants were not very popular, with the possible exception of the navy.
Those weren't flares, those were bell-bottoms! (Says the retired sailor, one of whose biggest gripes about my ex-wife is that she tossed-out my uncle's WW2 tailor-made, gabardine, jumper & bell-bottoms with a golden anchor embroidered inside the jumper. Grrr....)

Derek WC

Banned
Those weren't flares, those were bell-bottoms! (Says the retired sailor, one of whose biggest gripes about my ex-wife is that she tossed-out my uncle's WW2 tailor-made, gabardine, jumper & bell-bottoms with a golden anchor embroidered inside the jumper. Grrr....)

Well, I did say that my vocabulary was messed up. Wonder why she did that?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I disagree. Flared bell bottom trousers were popular in the United States during the 1930s. I have seen and own original 1930s slacks with a wide drop from the knee down, as well as a those with a visible bell at the cuff.

It's the visible bell shape that I've seen no examples of (I couldn't find your pic in the link you posted earlier). Straight down from the knee, yes, but flaring out at the cuff? I've never seen any.

I believe you've seen them resortes, so clearly they exist. Are they as horrid as the 1970s flares?

bk

LuckyKat

Practically Family
I own a pair of original flaired collegiate trousers:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?2104-College-wardrobe/page14

The flair is subtle, but the cuffs are, in fact, wider than the knee. I also own a pair of original 30's 22 inch cuffs trouser, and 24 inch cuff trousers.

Hey Nick...I saw in the past thread that you have TWO pairs of flaired trousers...you wanna sell or trade one pair? Email me or call me if you're looking for something imparticular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred