Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flash your Zippo lighter here

Doc Ephraim

New in Town
1941 zippo replica

Some of the guys over at COW turned me on to this. I thought you guys might be interested... Zippo is making a replica of their 1941 model lighter: accurate number of barrels on the hinge, fewer holes on the wind shield, more accurate historical corners and profile. Kind of cool, and it can be had cheap.

lighter.jpg

The lighter can be purchased real cheap here...
http://www.lightersales.com/chrome_classics.htm

LNBright

New in Town
Last night I popped by the local tobacconist. He's ordered a few of them, and has my name on one.... they should be in by the week's end, so, I should have one in-hand soon.

-Leslie

LNBright

New in Town
Oh, I'd fogot to update....

I have a 1941 now. I've painted it twice, and still haven't been happy with my job yet. So, round three is looming.

I thought about it, trying to figure out an easier way than epoxy, so, I thought, why not use something like Krylon, since it's designed to paint on metal. They've got the right color, IMHO, and it's easy enough to use and affordable. But.....

It keeps flaking off. When I peel the masking tape off of the sides, invariably, some of it will chip off along the sides.

The color is great, it goes on smooth, it looks like it'd be great, if, if I could keep it from chipping at the edges. Once it chips, though, you can catch it and lift, and peel the whole sheet of paint off of it.

Anyway, once I successfully paint it, I'll post a pic... 'til then, it's just like the afore-posted pic above.... :)

-L

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I went to a 1945 New years party at a friends house. Everybody was dressed period, the house was from the 20's and the car out front was a 1938 Cadillac.

I decided I'd be cool and pull out my 1941 replica lighter to light a friends cigarette when he upstaged me a pulled out the original deal with his fathers name engraved on it.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Yep, I agree. They look nice, but for a non Smoker, they just don't work out well. I've got one with my Indiana Jones stuff, but it is just a display piece. I tried carrying it for a while, but got totally frustrated with it. Everytime I found some reason to use it and pulled it out.... the fuel had dried up and it wouldn't work.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Imahomer said:
Yep, I agree. They look nice, but for a non Smoker, they just don't work out well. I've got one with my Indiana Jones stuff, but it is just a display piece. I tried carrying it for a while, but got totally frustrated with it. Everytime I found some reason to use it and pulled it out.... the fuel had dried up and it wouldn't work.
I've noticed the same thing...I thought I maybe wasn't putting enough fluid in the lighter. I'm glad it's not just me. I kinda wish I could put a flashlight in there instead.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Interseting...I did not know you could interchange parts, maybe I could make a costum designed zippo and use its parts or keep it the way it is because I like the gun metal finish.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Old_Hat said:
When I noticed that Zippo had changed their "Indy Clover" lighter from silkscreened paint (that scratched and flaked) to baked-on enamel, I ordered one on impulse.
I don't think Zippo currently makes either...you must be thinking of Relic Raider over at Indygear's forum...he has an awesome enamel like badge you can buy to put on your lighter.
http://home.earthlink.net/~relic_raider2004/white_off_white.jpg

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Well, I think the reason he may not post prices is that his price may change based on what price he can get his lighters for. But don't quote me on that. Indy Magnoli doesn't post prices either, so I think that is sometimes a preference of the seller.

Actually I'd imagine that RR's lighter is not screen accurate as the original didn't have a badge, but his lighter badges are the most beautiful I've ever seen with the embedded clover. Exquisite work! He can even do other color combinations other than the standard white and green version.

The one that is a Zippo made as I understand is one that they no longer make, so if you find one on Ebay, it's most likely not currently being made. Not trying dispute that they never made one, just that I don't think they are currently making them anymore, which was why I put "currently" in in my post. But if they are still being mass produced these days by Zippo, someone please correct me and let me know.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Old_Hat said:
Certainly, a seller sets the rules and can do anything he wants, take it or leave it... and some craftsmen, in particular, seem to get an ego boost out of making their customers jump through hoops to get their wares. Call it the Soup Nazi Syndrome. You run accross that a lot among custom knifemakers, for instance.

Not showing prices at all just sort of reminds me of some computer show/sales and other "bazaar" type events where some of the vendors don't post prices, because they base the price they demand on what they think you can afford, or whether they like you, or know you. Not entirely professional or businesslike. But maybe that's just me.

Actually, I believe the reason that these prop makers do not list prices is for legal reasons. In fact, on Indy Magnoli's and Relic Raider's sites, they never say that these items are for sale, just that they are items they made for themselves. If a guy posted prices the filmmakers would probably bust them for selling unlicensed merchandise. Sure, the filmmakers know they are selling these props (if they are aware of them at all) but this is just an extra bit of precaution. Call it plausible deniability. Actually, the only "hoop" you need to jump through is sending an email to these guys. I've done it and have received a response by the next day.

Old Hat, you seem very cynical towards the Indy crowd. Have they offended you in some way?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo