Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flash your Zippo lighter here

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Well!!

Quote by OLD HAT

Not showing prices at all just sort of reminds me of some computer show/sales and other "bazaar" type events where some of the vendors don't post prices, because they base the price they demand on what they think you can afford, or whether they like you, or know you. Not entirely professional or businesslike. But maybe that's just me.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

"But maybe that's just me."

As far as Indy gear i believe its for legal reasons. They sure can't see what you look like thru a email so they don't have a way to size you up.

Write them you will have a answer in a few short hours.

thegmanifesto

New in Town
Cigarettes and Zippos

Cigarettes obviously are demonized in our society. However, nothing feels better that being dressed extremely sharp and lighting up a cigarette with a Zippo. Does anyone else agree that a cigarette and Zippo can add the finishing touches on an outfit?

MPM
The Guide to Getting More Out of Life
http://www.thegmanifesto.com

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I don't care for cigs myself but it does look very era.

Wmport14.jpg

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I own three Zippos. I no longer carry them, they've been replaced by a '30s art deco Evans with a push/flip-up type trigger. I find that due to the screw-type fill closure and flip cover, the fuel takes weeks to evaporate instead of days. You don't have to flip off the lid to light it, either.

I don't smoke and never will, but I carry a lighter just because I do need a flame source occasionally and in the circles I move in, I am asked for a light often.

02.jpg

Makes me think of my dad. Out came the plastic cigarette pack holder, slip open the little sider door, tip oyt a butt and ching the sound of the zippo opening. A with of some wierd naptha smell from the lighter fluid usually Ronson. Seinfeld talks of a similar thing, my dad always had to smoke while doing stuff, like moving furniture.

I detest cigarrettes, as a kid in NY both my parents smoked Camel no filters and in the winter we couldn't open the windows in the car. Within a short period of time the air was blue gray and I was trying to breath thru my coat sleeve. No matter how cool it looks my dad and every friends dad that smoke died because of their smoking habit if they smoked cigarettes. Emphezema is not a fun way to go either.

Now, you want to smoke cigars? I am in, I like Cubans first then Nicarauguan, then Dominican then Hondurans, but I don't smoke them all the time, more of a special occassion thing.

Marty M.

Vendor
Although I'm not a smoker, I do think that there's a certin cool style that I've seen some smokers pull off well. Can you imagine Bogart as a non-smoker. I shudder at the thought. And yes, a vintage "Vargas Girl" Zippo would be my lighter of choice for lighting up a heater.

Baggers

Practically Family
My, my, bring up smoking and somebody tries to hijack the thread by weighing in on its evils. If you don't smoke and think it's a filthy habit, then ignore the thread and move on. You have a perfect right to request that someone refrain from smoking in your immediate vicinity if they don't ask your permission before lighting up, but that's about it. Go beyond that point and you are being rude.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic:

I have four Zippos. One is the current style, another a 1941 repro, and two are 1937 Vintage models that I recently picked up. One of those is a "Lucky Lighter" repro and the other is a brushed brass model that I carry as my current daily user. I also have a modern Dunhill Sports lift arm with a brown crocodile covering that I use when I want an even more retro or "continental" effect. I've been told that the Dunhill is a fake, but if it is, it's a well made fake with a nice heft and which works flawlessly. Like Wingnut's Evans lighter the fuel takes forever to evaporate out of it when compared to the Zippos, but that distinctive "clink" sound when you flip open a Zippo is just too cool for words. When I use it, I just use a simple one handed flick of the thumb to open it, another to light, and a third to close it before returning it to the pocket. No fancy tricks. Simple and stylish. Same for the Dunhill. anything more and you're showing off, in my opinion. ;)

Cheers!

Baggers said:
My, my, bring up smoking and somebody tries to hijack the thread by weighing in on its evils. If you don't smoke and think it's a filthy habit, then ignore the thread and move on. You have a perfect right to request that someone refrain from smoking in your immediate vicinity if they don't ask your permission before lighting up, but that's about it. Go beyond that point and you are being rude.
Question: if you knew someone was driving home, and they had to cross a bridge and you heard it was washed out, would it be rude to warn them?

Ahem, thread is about how cigarettes and zippos LOOK, not the politics/ethics of smoking. Observation Lounge for that, guys. I would be stunned if this isn't covered over there.

I forgot to say anything about zippos in my previous post. I use matches, but only because i find it difficult to control the lighting of my cigars with a lighter (any type) and it's pretty much impossible for me to light my pipe with a lighter without burning my fingers (i'm quite new to my pipe). Zippos are really cool, though.

My grandad also used matches for his pipes. He had pipes strategically placed so he'd never be far from one. There was one with a special holder stuck to the inside driver's side door of his car. He had a zippo that noone was allowed to touch in his cabinet that held all the stuff he'd collected. Ahhhh, nostalgia.

bk

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Like the Baron, I smoke only the occassional pipe or cigar, and also like the Baron, I only use wooden matches. I have a Zippo, but it impairs the flavour of the cigar, and it is unweildy for the lighting of pipes.

I smoke only in the gentleman's club in my backyard (my wife calls it the garage, but what does she know anyway), so I tend to offend no-one but the spiders.

General Attire and Accouterments would be better than Suits.

I preffer a butane lighter for cigars, the lighter fluid from a zippo seems to taint the cigar.

For pipes, wasn't there a different design specific to pipes for a better position of the flame for lighting?

I do also use wooden matches and occasional a big sliver of ceder from a box for lighting too.

Zippos are pretty cool, they were developed from a German design around WW1 I think. The market is astonding, there are so many "collectable" zippos.

Now if you want some interesting cigarettes go check out the ones offered by Nat Sherman http://www.natsherman.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters