Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flash your Zippo lighter here

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
The Zippo lighters are one of the best lighters made today. They have a lifetime guarantee and are wind resistant. Since they do use lighter fluid, they will leave a slight taste, residue to your cigar or pipe, but not anything that's unbearable. They do sell torch inserts for Zippos that seem to work pretty well. We've carried them for a while and haven't had any complaints. The brand we carry is the Z-Plus. Zippo released they're own version of a torch-type lighter last year. Unfortunately they had problems with them not working consistently and there was no adjustment for the flame. We had several of them brought back for issues. We contacted Zippo and I believe that they recalled them all and have recently (like the past month or so) put them out again. We haven't gotten any in this time around and not sure if we will, but if I hear anything good, bad or otherwise, I'll let you guys know.

Naphtali

Practically Family
Zippo's design does not appear to be tight enough on its hinged top cover to avoid evaporation of lighter fluid -- that is fluid migrates from reservoir via the wick? How long will a standard Zippo maintain fluid level? Or what is rate of evaporation?

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Naphtali said:
Zippo's design does not appear to be tight enough on its hinged top cover to avoid evaporation of lighter fluid -- that is fluid migrates from reservoir via the wick? How long will a standard Zippo maintain fluid level? Or what is rate of evaporation?

That's very true, I have quite a few lighters and can't say that I've used the same Zippo for several days straight, but I seem to remember possibly going 3 days before having to refill. You're usage has a lot to do with it also, if you smoke a pack or more a day, I'm sure you'll got through more fluid than someone that's just a casual smoker. Hope this helps.

DUKE NUKEM

One of the Regulars
some of the guys over at cow turned me on to this.

lighter.jpg

the lighter can be purchased real cheap here...
http://www.lightersales.com/chrome_classics.htm

cow?

alsendk

A-List Customer
One of the true icons from US ....among so many: Levi`s ...Ford....aso.
But one especially comes to my mind...the ZIPPO lighter.
The Zippo lighter was the one my school mates were using, lighting up their very first cigarette in the corner of the school yard. Both the cigarette and the Zippos borrowed from daddys belongings of course.
The Zippo always have been very present in Denmark, along with Ronson lighters, but the Zippo was cheaper to buy, and therefore became the no. 1 lighter here.

The story about the Zippo just briefly:

Company history
Zippo plant, ca. 1930-1945

George G. Blaisdell founded Zippo Manufacturing Company in 1932, and produced the first Zippo lighter in early 1933, being inspired by an Austrian cigarette lighter of similar design. It got its name because Blaisdell liked the sound of the word "zipper" and "zippo" sounded more modern. On March 3, 1936, patent was granted for the Zippo lighter.

Zippo lighters became popular in the United States military, especially during World War II — when, as the company's Web site says, Zippo "ceased production of lighters for consumer markets and dedicated all manufacturing to the U.S. military." The Zippo at that time was made of brass, but as this commodity was unobtainable due to the war, Zippo used steel during the war years. While the Zippo Manufacturing Company never had an official contract with the military, soldiers and armed forces personnel insisted that Base exchange (BX) and Post exchange (PX) stores carry this sought-after lighter. While it had previously been common to have Zippos with authorized badges, unit crests and division insignia, it became popular among the American soldiers of the Vietnam War, to get their Zippos engraved with personal mottos. These lighters are now sought after collectors items and popular souvenirs for visitors to Vietnam.

After World War II, the Zippo lighter became increasingly used in advertising by companies large and small through the 1960s. Many of the early advertising Zippo lighters are works of art painted by hand, and as technology has evolved, so has the design and finish of the Zippo lighter. The basic mechanism of the Zippo lighter has remained unchanged.

I have never started smoking, and therefore never have carried any lighter or matches, but just recently I found my mothers beautyfully carved venetian Zippo lighter, and after filling it with Zippo gas it works fine.
MamasZippi.jpg
[/IMG]

Let us see your Zippo lighter....New, old, worn out, or customized, and let`s hear the story about it, where you got it, and for how long etc.
The Zippo lighter is a true american icon, but it has spread out to the whole world, so loungers from even the most remote areas knows about the Zippo, and probably have one.
Tell your Zippo story here.
Allan
ZippoMichelangelo.jpg
[/IMG]
zippo.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
ZippoChildren-Buying-Lighter-Advertising--60203.jpg
[/IMG]

I didn`t know that the Zippo lighter had already been flashed by my honoured fellow loungers.
I was putting in ZIPPO as a search word, and got no results, so I believed it to be my brilliant idea to be the first to bring it up,but no,It has been up here- running for years ....blushing.
anyway, I love my newly purchased 1984 Zippo intensly, and like the old advertising pages for Zippo lighters as well

injunjack

One of the Regulars
14 pages and so few pics...

I've been using only Zippos since I was 16 when my dad brought one for me from NYC. 32 years and over dozen zippos...some of them still in boxes unused ;-) bought them while in service in Lebanon. Gotta take some pics, tonight if I have time... Have lost only 2 in that timeframe...
and for the taste of gasoline...It's just a matter of taste...something lit with something else than Zippo, doesn't just taste right.

alsendk

A-List Customer
Pics are always most welcome injunjack.
Some Zippo users in here find it annoying to be able to taste gasoline when lighting up a cigar or a cigarette. I wouldn`t know, being a non smoker myself, but I like the Zippo for being an icon, and a trustworthy partner in the camping life which i love to be a part of every summer.

tatooedgirlwithzippo.jpg
[/IMG]

alsendk

A-List Customer
Mario, it`s a real beauty, and in Brass too?
Yes, the old original ones,with the outside hinge, they carried these diagonal slashes too, but they also was more square and slightly taller...will try to post a picture of these first models, but this present model of yours is prettiest in my opinion, I like the warm brass colour a lot.

vintage_zippo_lighter_ad.jpg
[/IMG]

alsendk

A-List Customer
I actually just bought this 12 set of Zippo lighters with USA military markings.
Haven`t seen these military Zippos before, though there is a lot out there.
A little strange it is, that they come with german letters also
Do you have an explanation for this Mario....could it be a name for a US airforce base situated in Germany ? but then there are the marine lighters also? it really puzzles me.

zippoformartin.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo