Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flask Question

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
If your flask is made of the common 18/8 variety of stainless, (18% chrome, 8% nickel) it should be non-reactive with most everything but the strongest of acids. Alcoholic beverages should not be bothered at all by good stainless without too many impurities. I have doubts about Chinese made stainless though as it can sometimes contain impurities in the form of other undesirable metals such as lead and other heavy metals. :eek:

Bustercat

A-List Customer
It shouldn't affect the taste.
At least, I haven't had an issue with a flask ruining the taste.

But cocktail shakers? I've taken to using aluminum since EVERY steel one i've tried, at a variety of price points, ruins the taste of the drink.

bwildered

New in Town
I recently dug out my flask, it has been years since I used it. Although it has a "stainless steel" tag on the bottom, it was considerably tarnished. I used some silver polish on it, and it shined right up.
The occaision of the resurrection was a golf tournament I was attending, and I wanted to take some schnapps. I am afraid I don't normally drink hard liquor, although in my younger day I would occaisionally take a shot of whiskey.
These days my flask travels to events where I can share my liquor, usually cinnamon schnapps. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone's sensiblities, if so, I apologize for my lack of culture.
When I received it as a present, I had no idea of how to clean it after use. Since it has such a small neck, I rinse it out a couple of time, and then fill it with hot water and let it sit overnight. I then empty it, let it air dry, and store it until the next time. I would appreciate knowing how other people clean their flasks.
Gracias,

Bwild

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
bwildered said:
I recently dug out my flask, it has been years since I used it. Although it has a "stainless steel" tag on the bottom, it was considerably tarnished. I used some silver polish on it, and it shined right up.
The occaision of the resurrection was a golf tournament I was attending, and I wanted to take some schnapps. I am afraid I don't normally drink hard liquor, although in my younger day I would occaisionally take a shot of whiskey.
These days my flask travels to events where I can share my liquor, usually cinnamon schnapps. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone's sensiblities, if so, I apologize for my lack of culture.
When I received it as a present, I had no idea of how to clean it after use. Since it has such a small neck, I rinse it out a couple of time, and then fill it with hot water and let it sit overnight. I then empty it, let it air dry, and store it until the next time. I would appreciate knowing how other people clean their flasks.
Gracias,

Bwild

Test tube brushes are what I use. You can get some mighty small bristled ones with long twisted wire handles.
de nada

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy