Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

flat front pants

Harry Lime

Suspended
Were flat front pants in style in the '20's and 30's?

Yes. Flat front pants were the prevalent style of the '20's, often pegged. Very popular throughout the '30's as well.

Harry

Wild Root

Gone Home
Most suits I find from the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s are flat front. Most of my pants from the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s are flat front and you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll also find a lot of flat front pants from 1942-1945 because of the war. Flat front pants were the standard before the 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s. I enjoy a good pair of flat fronts but, prefer the deep pleats with the drape shape.

=WR=

PS. this is more of a "General Attire" topic.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Ghos7a55assin said:
I'm on the thin side, so I actually like my pants without pleats. i have a pair of 30's pants with cuffs but without pleats. Military stuff was always unpleated.

You're on the thin side? No, you are thin!;)

Military uniforms always had no pleats yes but, during WWII there were some high ranking Officers and Generals that had custom pants made with pleats. Look at some photos of General Macarthur! He had pleats in most photos I have seen of him like so:

ac01732.jpg

I prefer pleats my self, they give more of an art deco drape and also allow room to grow after eating a big meal!;)

=WR=

Wild Root

Gone Home
Macarthur?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s hat was a regular US General's khaki visor cap with the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìScrambled Eggs?¢‚Ǩ? just without the retaining rim in the top. So, in fact it was a crusher. The other caps in the photo are regular Officer visor caps.

=WR=

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
alwayz?

Ghos7a55assin said:
I'm on the thin side, so I actually like my pants without pleats. i have a pair of 30's pants with cuffs but without pleats. Military stuff was always unpleated.

Actually the trousers for the Mountain troops & the FSSF were pleated ski pants. In training, they were serge wool, 3 button waistband, stirruped, pleated, zippered on fly & pockets. In combat, they were cotton, but still zippered & pleated , and amended to two button waistband & cargo pockets.

WPG sells a repro.

I'm on the thin side too ;) I've worn flat front trousers all my life. I had an aversion to pleated front trousers because i thought they would accentuate my shortness (my legs are too short for the torso). Boy, was i wrong! I now love the look of pleated trousers on me. I maybe even prefer it to flat front these days. I guess i just had to get used to it.

bk

Wild Root

Gone Home
For me pleats are tops! I love the way they make me look. But, only the high waisted vintage type that is. Modern pleated pants look ill on most men I see today. They just don't drape right!

I enjoy a good flat front pair as long as they fit right! They also give much more of an early look too! So, when I want to go out looking like 1929 to
1934, I wear flat fronts.

I don't have to many pairs of flats but, they're special to me and I love them as I love me pleated beauties!

When people say: Oh, I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m too short for pleated pants or Double breasted suits or what not; I then ask them why is it that most pleated pants and suits I find are for short men! Yeah, this stuff is just that good!

=WR=

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner