Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Flight Jacket for Motorcycle use?

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Hi everyone,
I'm so happy to have discovered this place! I'm pondering my first replica flight jacket. I've got an old G-1 and some old Schott and Bates Leather MC jackets, but until recently I've never had the funds to give any serious consideration to a quality replica. I live in Minnesota, and usually ride my bike as long as the streets stay dry. I wouldn't be using the jacket exclusively for motorcycling, but it would help fill a hole in my wardrobe and therefore be easier to justify a greater investment. I'm interested in something along the lines of a B-2 or Irvin. I'd like to hear from people who have experience motorcycling in the cold (20-30F) in jackets of this sort. Both those jackets look to me like they could present some arm freedom problems and also problems working with conventional gauntlet-style winter gloves. I'm not looking for the perfect winter motorcycle jacket (I eschew synthetic fiber and most modern "styles" of all-weather MC jacket), I'm just looking for something authentically vintage that will be somewhat practical and warmer than my G-1. Also, I won't need to be in a crotch-rocket racing crouch, I've got an old cafe racer with a somewhat upright riding position. An ANJ-4 might be a more practical option, but I'm not sure I'm sold on the look of one. Really curious to get some thoughts.
Thanks in advance!

renor27

One of the Regulars
Vintage style motorcycle jacket

I wear a Belstaff Trailmaster oil cloth jacket been around for ever but hear that Belstaff has stopped or is going to stop making them.Being on a '64 BMW with sidecar am very up right in how I sit on the bike not bent over like a cafe bike but the Belstaffs are long and fit a heavy sweater under it in the winter am plenty warm riding in northern NV. Have a lighter leather jacket for the summer months.
You might want to looks @ some of the German police coats from the 1950's longer then a cafe jacket and many were doubled breasted.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Sheepskin

Thanks for the input, guys (and for the bike compliment, Martinis at 8--she's a custom Honda cb 750). Though I do kind of dig the Belstaff jacket--and did see a couple online still--I am still hoping to hear whether sheepskin is plausible. Am I nuts to consider motorcycling in an Irvin? It looks like people did it historically, I'm just curious how comfortable it was.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Hi there, and welcome to my first post!

Some of the best traditionally-cut motorcycle wear is ex-European police wear, the German items being particularly authentic and good quality. It differs from other motorcycle clothing by being more generously cut and longer in the back. East German police coats are superb, having a very Golden Age boxy cut with collar, zip and tough, tough leather. The finest riding outfit I've had the privilege to own was ex Dutch army. High waist, short leg jodhpur breeches and long jacket in sage green. Beautiful quality. Finding the correct cut of long riding boot is getting very difficult now though.

As for Irvins on a motorcycle, I have always found them to be too cumbersome for comfort. They are also rather too warm for anyone south of the arctic circle, and the cut of the cuff ensures an ample supply of cooling breeze up the forearm, although this can be cured with a pair of Swedish leather gauntlets. I only use mine on my rather industrial sidecar rig (never on my 1954 BMW). For the flying jacket look without the stiffness of an irvin, the mechanics' D1 shearling is the chioce. Made from much lighter (and originally often shoddy, so a repro could be a good choice) sheepskin, these are also a closer cut and just the job for motorcycling.

Hope I've been of help.

renor27

One of the Regulars
The German Police jackets

I have one of the German police jackets from the late 1940's early 1950's.
German police jackets post war are cut on the 1930's style but to be different from the Nazis are GREEN not Black.
Mines ( a size 48 long ) is a little small for me but is a cool looking jacket double breasted and very heavy. I do not wear it much due to it being small . Might part with it if there is some one who it will fit and who would enjoy it, want it to go to a good home.
David

mister7

Familiar Face
I think this guy could use a flight jacket!

robbieknievelgrandcanyonjump.jpg

RIP to his dad, Evel. American legend.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Thanks!

renor27 said:
I have one of the German police jackets from the late 1940's early 1950's.
German police jackets post war are cut on the 1930's style but to be different from the Nazis are GREEN not Black.
Mines ( a size 48 long ) is a little small for me but is a cool looking jacket double breasted and very heavy. I do not wear it much due to it being small . Might part with it if there is some one who it will fit and who would enjoy it, want it to go to a good home.
David

Wow, thanks for the info and advice, guys. I've lived in germany, speak german, and a big fan of most things Deutsch. I have seen the more recent and 70s era Polizei leathers, but am not familiar with the old ones. They sound cool, I'll have to do some looking around. As to your coat, Renor27, I'd love to give it a good home, but I'm more a size 44, 5'10" on the stocky side. Not much long about me.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
boyorastroboy said:
Wow, thanks for the info and advice, guys. I've lived in germany, speak german, and a big fan of most things Deutsch. I have seen the more recent and 70s era Polizei leathers, but am not familiar with the old ones. They sound cool, I'll have to do some looking around. As to your coat, Renor27, I'd love to give it a good home, but I'm more a size 44, 5'10" on the stocky side. Not much long about me.

Ich auch! Im Aschaffenburg (ob der Main), zwitschen Frankfurt und Wurzburg. Drei yahren stationert.

The East German cloth coats were gray if I recall, and the West German ones were green as stated above. However, the West German Kripo (Kriminal Polizei detectives) wore long black leather coats. These looked really cool.

I also love Germany and all the other Germanic countries, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg also being at the top of my list. In fact I am listening to Radio Liechtenstein right now on the internet.

M8

Interbak

One of the Regulars
I have ridden in an Irvin replica, and it's not my first choice. They're pretty heavy and restrictive. I was riding a '68 Norton P11A desert scrambler and you sit straight up on this bike (think Kawi KLR as a modern equivalent). I don't think it would be a great idea on a cafe racer, even a mild one. Imagine trying to check your blind spot over your shoulder with that big collar in the way. Personally I like my Hein Gericke Dakar for cold weather. I just ordered a B6 from USA, it should be here in a about a week. The fur is half as thick as a B3, and the action back should give more freedom of movement. I'll let you know how it turns out when it arrives.

Brian

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Hi, I would highly recommend the Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy wax cotton jacket. Belstaff are now re-making these with the CE armour in the shoulders and elbows. You can order them from TPC Distribution on 01422 202444.

I have just bought one of these new Belstaffs for my girlfriend. Although not cheap (£300) they are excellent quality and will not look out of place on any older/classic motorcycle.

As for sheepskin jacekts I wouldn't recommend them for motorcycling as sheepskin is not very robust in terms of sliding down roads! Also, if you are unfortunate enough to get caught in the rain, they stay wet for a long time. Plus there is the difficulty of wearing gloves over the cuffs etc.

I have myself worn a sheepskin jacket on my motorbikes although they are very warm they don't offer very much in the way of protection.

Hope this helps.

Cheerio for now,
James

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Thanks again, gentlemen. I think you've convinced me that an Irvin is probably not a good way to go (for motorcycling at least). I do find both the german police coats and the Belstaff very intriguing. Anyone have any pictures of the police coats? Google image search hasn't gotten me very far yet.
James, that Belstaff you recommended is very attractive indeed. Anyone have any recommendations on getting my hands on one here in the states (distributors or websites folks have had good experiences with)? TPC Distribution doesn't seem to have an easily-findable website and I'm a little reluctant to add international call charges to international shipping if I don't have to.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
boyorastroboy said:
Thanks again, gentlemen. I think you've convinced me that an Irvin is probably not a good way to go (for motorcycling at least). I do find both the german police coats and the Belstaff very intriguing. Anyone have any pictures of the police coats? Google image search hasn't gotten me very far yet.

Yes, surprisingly difficult to find a pic!

This is close, but not quite!

510.jpg

This is one, but a rotten pic!
476.jpg

Copper

One of the Regulars
May I just second the admiration for your cafe racer!

What year is it?

I am restoring a '71 CB750 that I acquired recently. I was tempted to do a cafe racer restoration on it, but it was all so wonderfully original under the late 70's dubious 'upgrades' (fairings and backrests and whatnot), that I am just doing a mostly OEM tidy up on it.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Copper said:
May I just second the admiration for your cafe racer!

What year is it?

I am restoring a '71 CB750 that I acquired recently. I was tempted to do a cafe racer restoration on it, but it was all so wonderfully original under the late 70's dubious 'upgrades' (fairings and backrests and whatnot), that I am just doing a mostly OEM tidy up on it.

Glad you like the bike. With so much positive response, I decided to animate my avatar to give people a little more of an idea what she looks like. She's a 1976 CB750F, with an earlier K front end (which I think are much more attractive), as well as some other odds and ends customizations. I had to spend about 3 years knee-deep in not-even-remotely roadworthy pieces of motorcycle, but it was all worth it in the end. She might not be as gorgeous as some of the Brit bikes that she was built to emulate back in the day, but she goes like hell, is a piece of cake to find parts for, and most importantly every inch is MINE--exactly as I dreamt her.
Good luck with yours. Just go with your gut, they're pretty stock and not-so-stock.

boyorastroboy said:
...I decided to animate my avatar...
How did you sneak that past the system? I got an alert message when I tried to upload a moon pitcher.
Nothing to kibbitz on flight jackets besides interested in same - Vanson Swedish dispatch (obsolete) or Darien Yellow for me at the moment, though have been beating around town in old trench coats. The BMW riders turn up their noses! Hah!
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=23691&highlight=vanson
Very nice cafe bike! Took my New Years Eve Ride with the So Cal Norton Club to the Angeles Crest, NYD to the Rock Store yesterday - Ed & Vern are well.

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
RondoHatton said:
How did you sneak that past the system? I got an alert message when I tried to upload a moon pitcher.

Might be because I'm hosting the .gif on my own site? I dunno, never got any error messages... I bought a What Price Glory Irvin a couple weeks back--decided to get one despite its not being practical for the bike, which it would not be! It has been damn warm and great to have here in MN, though (-15 windchill today).
I've decided to concentrate my efforts and remaining resources on acquiring a Belstaff Classic Tourist Trophy as James was recommending earlier (wax cotton with armor). I think they're a nice combination of classic, attractive, and extremely practical for long voyages here in the midwest. Sadly, they currently seem to be totally impossible to obtain in the U.S., but I'm working a couple angles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn