Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Florsheim Shoes

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
I picked up a pair of Florsheim punch cap-toes similar to the Lexington but without the rubber inset in the leather sole. They aren't terriffic shoes, but I've seen (and owned :eek: ) worse. They appear to have stitched rather than cemented soles, or else have excellent faux stitching. I'm voting for the latter, unfortunately. I picked them up for $74.00 (regularly $90.00) at the mall. I don't plan to wear these very often, maybe once or twice a month. I wouldn't wear them in the rain, and would avoid wet spots on the ground like the plague. How long should I expect these to last (ballpark)?

Also; I know that people have used rubbing alchohol to strip the plasticky finish off of Bass Weejuns, but I'm a bit hesitant to do this with these. If anyone can offer advice regarding this problem, I'd appreciate it.

ortega76

Practically Family
I have a pair of Stacy Adams Madison shoes and a pair of Florsheim shoes that I wear fairly often (say once a week or so) and I've had them for about six years. For about four years, the two were worn only on Sundays or for similar occasions.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
ortega76 said:
I have a pair of Stacy Adams Madison shoes and a pair of Florsheim shoes that I wear fairly often (say once a week or so) and I've had them for about six years. For about four years, the two were worn only on Sundays or for similar occasions.

Thanks, you have helped to quell my buyer's remorse.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
They're most likely made with corrected grain leather so you're pretty much stuck with the sheen.

As for wear, there are so many variables involved (an individuals weight, their stride/gait, daily mileage, weather and surface conditions,etc...) that it's difficult for me to project what a shoe's useful life will be for you. That said, applying Topy and heel/toe taps to the soles will extend the useful life substantially.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Tomasso said:
They're most likely made with corrected grain leather so you're pretty much stuck with the sheen.

As for wear, there are so many variables involved (an individuals weight, their stride/gait, daily mileage, weather and surface conditions,etc...) that it's difficult for me to project what a shoe's useful life will be for you. That said, applying Topy and heel/toe taps to the soles will extend the useful life substantially.

I'll pass on the Topy's but taps are a given. After looking them over again, they aren't so bad. After several rounds of leather lotion and Kiwi wax polish, they look pretty alright. I realize that all I've done is built up alot of polish, but at least they don't look as plasticky.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I think I own your exact shoes, they're my only pair of leather-soled dress shoes at the moment. Mine have held up quite nicely to approximately weekly use for two or three years. In fact, I like them so well I'm always surprised by how poorly everyone thinks of "Floor Shines."

All I can say is that there must be some darned nice alternatives out there.

-Dave

ortega76

Practically Family
David Conwill said:
I think I own your exact shoes, they're my only pair of leather-soled dress shoes at the moment. Mine have held up quite nicely to approximately weekly use for two or three years. In fact, I like them so well I'm always surprised by how poorly everyone thinks of "Floor Shines."

All I can say is that there must be some darned nice alternatives out there.

-Dave

I have some Allen Edmunds which I love. I was stuck in Florsheim and Stacy Adams for Catholic school so I just got used to them and tend to wear them a lot more than some of my other shoes. Darn you, Sister Carol!

CopperNY

A-List Customer
just bought the same captoes this weekend. JCP had Florsheims on sale for $130 for two pairs.

has anyone tried the paint remover / nail polish remover to tone down the shine? results?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
CopperNY said:
has anyone tried the paint remover / nail polish remover to tone down the shine? results?
From post #4 above:

Tomasso said:

CopperNY

A-List Customer
ah well. i was hoping....

had an idea in the meantime though. might try some jeweler's rouge on an old shine rag. should dull, without obviously scratching.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
"G%*#!&$ Florsheim shoe!"

I too bought a pair of there a couple months ago. While they are not super high quality, they are decent shoes. The leather is a bit thin and stiff but they broke in quickly. The uber sheen tones down with some wearing as well.

Not as good as AE or some other companies out there (and it shows in the price) but they are decent shoes for anyone on a budget.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
thunderw21 said:
"G%*#!&$ Florsheim shoe!"

I too bought a pair of there a couple months ago. While they are not super high quality, they are decent shoes. The leather is a bit thin and stiff but they broke in quickly. The uber sheen tones down with some wearing as well.

Not as good as AE or some other companies out there (and it shows in the price) but they are decent shoes for anyone on a budget.

I've always wanted to see that movie but never seem to get around to it. Good to know that the shine wears down after time. I'm in the process of breaking them in now; I've walked in the creases, roughed the sole up a bit (haven't been outside with em' yet, but the time is coming,) etc..

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
My father has a pair of Florsheims in horsehide that he bought 42 years ago which are still going strong.

I have two pairs of Florsheims that I bought ten years ago and which are still going strong.

I have another pair that I bought four years ago which died last year.

What does that tell you about the declining quality of Florsheim shoes...?

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
leathersoleiv1.jpg

I can't for the life of me tell if the stitching is real or fake. Any ideas on how to tell?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic