Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fly On The Wall...

Chas

One Too Many
If you could hang out for a single event, what would it have been? For me, it would have been the cutting contest between Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young. But pics speak volumes. A near runner-up for me would have been this highly informal jam session: Artie Shaw, Chick Webb and Duke Ellington.
ChickWebbArtieShawandDukeEllington1.jpg

AC0849.0000002.jpg

Looks like everybody had some fun.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'd love to be on the set of some old time radio shows and movies. I love the meager collection of bloopers I've seen and heard from these entertainment mediums and would love to have more.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I would love to have been an unseen observer at the secret meetings in the underground network of offices beneath DC when representatives from the leading nations met and signed the unconstitutional treaties at the end of WWI that set in motion the theft of our national liberties and --

Is this the irrational world-wide conspiracy rant thread? I'm sorry- I'll pay better attention next time-

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Chas said:
Fascinating pics. Chick Webb just has a bass drum, snare and on cymbal. Interesting crowd as well. Some faces that almost seem familiar. The big guy in the dark suit looming over Webb looks like the owner of the place or something like that. And the guy with the 35 mm camera. Who's he? And the guy with the big smile next to him. Everybody's smiling hugely. Yes, what a moment.
The second shot shows just how small Chick Webb was. I'm pretty sure they're both standing. Webb had TB in his bones, which is an extremely debilitating disease, and which ended his life at the age of 39, as I recall. A tough little man, tho.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I would like to know: Was it indigestion or was it a bullet?

What really happened on William Randolph Hearst yatch that day in 1924?

There were many guests including Charlie Chaplin, for a birthday party in honor of Tom Ince - a pioneer producer- silent film director . Well Tom died that day. The official version...and I'm quoting..."Tom glutted himself to death and died of accute indegestion..." the other version..." jelaous Wiliam Randolph Hearst believed her lover Marion Davies and Chaplin had slipped off together and were later discovered in flagrante on the lower deck, Hearst run for his revolver. In the confusion, Ince, not Chaplin took the bullet in his brain".

There was no inquest into the death and Mr Hearst provided Tom Ince's widow with a trust fund for life ..... everything hush hush...

Loved to have been a fly on the wall that day on the yatch ;)

Miss Dizzy Dame

Familiar Face
HadleyH said:
I would like to know: Was it indigestion or was it a bullet?

What really happened on William Randolph Hearst yatch that day in 1924?

There were many guests including Charlie Chaplin, for a birthday party in honor of Tom Ince - a pioneer producer- silent film director . Well Tom died that day. The official version...and I'm quoting..."Tom glutted himself to death and died of accute indegestion..." the other version..." jelaous Wiliam Randolph Hearst believed her lover Marion Davies and Chaplin had slipped off together and were later discovered in flagrante on the lower deck, Hearst run for his revolver. In the confusion, Ince, not Chaplin took the bullet in his brain".

There was no inquest into the death and Mr Hearst provided Tom Ince's widow with a trust fund for life ..... everything hush hush...

Loved to have been a fly on the wall that day on the yatch ;)

Me too! Speaking of Charles Chaplin,I would have loved to see him in person filming!

JimWagner

Practically Family
January 16, 1938, Carnegie Hall, to hear Benny Goodman, Gene Krupa, Harry James, et al perform "Sing, Sing, Sing" live.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wouldn't mind being in the control room at CBS Studio One in New York on the night of October 30, 1938.

orson_welles_1938.jpg

That Welles, what will he try next?

I also wouldn't mind being in the stands at Sportsman's Park in St. Louis on the afternoon of August 19, 1951.

EGrawphoto.jpg

Some things have to be seen to be believed.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
December 25, 1934. Santa Anita, CA. Opening day of the Santa Anita Racetrack.

And then, again, in 1937, watching the filming of the Marx Brothers' "A Day at the Races." Especially the scene where the Brothers redirect parking traffic onto the track. I would have loved to have gotten a close-up look at the Rolls Royce Groucho hops onto the running board of.

Lee

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24