Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Folding double cuff shirts for storage

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
I've always wondered if there is a specific answer for that.

Basically, when you iron a shirt with double cuffs you end with the problem of dealing with a pair of cuffs that need to stay round as possible and, when folding, you don't want to make them develop two creases which follow the sleeve creases. But this happens if you don't want to wring the sleeves and cause a lot of wrinkles in the forearm.

Do you have a solution for that? I never hang my shirts, they would take too much space.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What a question! Personally, I hang my shirts. Yet, they take up so much space that --in my closet-- they are packed together like sardines and upon removal they must be ironed. So, every Sunday I take out 5 shirts, iron them, and then hang them on a rod in the guest room with plenty of space between them. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a closet and of having a guest room too, for that matter. I must reorganize my life one of these days.

Regarding double cuffs (or French cuffs as I learned to call them), they are so rare here that they cause a stir among the interns and newly hired youngsters. "what are those?" "What are they called?" "where do you buy them?" "Are you a time traveler?" (just joking about that last one). I think they are fast dying out. For me they are usually a special occasion thing or something I wear when I need to give my mood a boost. But once you've gone there, normal barrel cuffs just seem so pedestrian and boring.

Mathematicus

A-List Customer
I don't see any problem wearing double cuffs at work. I do it almost every day and no one notices. Plus I think they look better in a jacket's sleeve - they fill it up nicely, if you know what I mean.
But I don't have the space to hang them all, so I need a clean way to fold them without having the cuffs crushed or the sleeves wrinkled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner