Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear for Winter

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Forgive me if this topic has been covered before. We're supposed to get a little bit of snow later this evening in my area and it got me thinking. Does anyone know where I can find some vintage-inspired winter boots to wear with dresses? I watched "A Christmas Story" (it's set in the 1940s) tonight and noticed all the ankle boots with fur tops. I've got some nice practical winter boots to shovel snow with, but I'd like to have a pair to wear with skirts and dresses. I think a few months ago, somebody here found a pair of vintage ones on eBay, but I couldn't find any today.

And did a lady where her boots all day or bring her shoes to change in? I remember having a "shoe bag" in grade school to put my regular shoes in to change into after I got to school.

If I could find a pair of black, possibly fur-lined, but definitely fur-topped pair of ankle boots with a bit of a low heel, I'd be a happy woman indeed!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Hi bonnie jean, yes i am in the same boat. I know this topic was covered briefly in the "cute vintage-y shoes" thread, because i went off topic. i was given a link http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6007691/0~2376778~2372808~6007659~6007691 although the price is a bit steep for my budget.

There is also a "Snow boots" thread, where we posted boots we have or pics of cute boots we would like to have.

I personally have a pair of L.L.Bean duck boots, which are not exactly sexy, but they do keep me toasty.I too am on the look out out for something a bit more vinyage inspired.I want something with faux fur tops.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
BonnieJean said:
And did a lady where her boots all day or bring her shoes to change in? I remember having a "shoe bag" in grade school to put my regular shoes in to change into after I got to school.

Generally, the classic rubber fur-topped winter boots were actually overshoes -- you'd just pull them on over your regular shoes, wear them to where you were going, and then take them off once you got there. They usually had a zipper or a fold-over button flap closing that opened wide to make it easy to get them on and off.

The whole idea of overshoes for women seems to have gone completely extinct -- they still show up in men's styles, but it's been many years since I saw them on sale for women, and even longer since they came in cute heeled styles. One of the repro-vintage-shoe manufacturers really needs to hop on this idea and get out a line of them!

maisie

Practically Family
I managed to get a black lace up pair with a fur trim off ebay a few years ago quite cheaply, so just keep looking! The only thing is they are so cute and in such nice condition i just don't want to wear them!!

birdiepie

New in Town
I still see ladies overshoes for sale in shoe repair shops here in NYC. They're not ornamental or particularlly attractive in any way, just functional rubber booties that slip on over your shoes. My mother has a pair, though I've never seen her wear them.

This season many designers have come out with "booties" a lot of which are very reminicent of vintage winter boots!

If only these were minus the studs and were trimmed in fur:

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19056012/c/3.html

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Honey Doll,
Those boots are darn cute. If the heels were half their height, I'd probably buy them. The shoe manufacturers are getting closer to the vintage look I love.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Footwear for winter?

Hi girls!
I was wondering what shoes you use for late fall/winter.
I have some pretty pewter oxfords, but they would only work on a rainless fall-day.
I still want to get trough the cold months in style - so I need a bit of inspiration!
(I especialy need something that would look good with dresses too.)

Thanks. :D

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Personally, I think oxfords are warm enough for most winter days, if you wear thick wool stockings with them.

But for those really cold days, I like 20's style lace up boots (sans zipper!). I got some really nice and comfortable ones from Kurt Geiger last year, black with a stacked grey wooden heel and white laces. Chie Mihara also makes some nice vintage looking lace up boots. Examples:

8ca6_1.JPG

2813248701_991366992c_o.jpg

Or fur-topped boots, mmm:

NMX05BG_mn.jpg

You could also get ankle booties, they go slightly further up than oxfords, so they keep your ankles warm as well, but still very elegant and suitable for skirts. Something like galoshes:

588-3.jpg

Or for a more casual and cool look, something like this (I would die for boots like these!):

2813280195_ff17170aff.jpg

You might also find some good info in this thread.

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
Personally, I think oxfords are warm enough for most winter days, if you wear thick wool stockings with them.

But for those really cold days, I like 20's style lace up boots (sans zipper!). I got some really nice and comfortable ones from Kurt Geiger last year, black with a stacked grey wooden heel and white laces. Chie Mihara also makes some nice vintage looking lace up boots. Examples:

8ca6_1.JPG

NMX05BG_mn.jpg

You could also get ankle booties, they go slightly further up than oxfords, so they keep your ankles warm as well, but still very elegant and suitable for skirts. Something like galoshes:

588-3.jpg

Or for a more casual and cool look, something like this (I would die for boots like these!):

My oxfords are leather and suede, so I'll need to find a strong rain/snow-proofspray then.
Wow, thank you so much for the links/pics! :)
They remind me of these theatreshoes I've been eyeing:
19d97b11.jpg

or
80d9d700.jpg

:eek:fftopic: - It was so fun meeting you friday! :D

Adding a link for the shoes if ayones interested:
http://dancegymshop.com/productList.aspx?topicID=19&display=Andre/Teater/Specielle

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:
19d97b11.jpg

:eek:fftopic: - It was so fun meeting you friday! :D

Those top ones are cute! Schuh currently has these boots, they are not exactly what I'm looking for but some of the other ladies might like them.

I'm looking for some nice warm ankle boots myself, will tip you if I find any. And oh yeah, no suede for rainy/snowy winter days! You have to buy some plain leather oxfords.

And likewise, I hope you enjoyed the party!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
Laura Chase said:
Those top ones are cute! Schuh currently has these boots, they are not exactly what I'm looking for but some of the other ladies might like them.

I'm looking for some nice warm ankle boots myself, will tip you if I find any. And oh yeah, no suede for rainy/snowy winter days! You have to buy some plain leather oxfords.

And likewise, I hope you enjoyed the party!
Gah, those are cute too. :eek:
Ohhh the lounge is not good for my wallet. lol
Yes, please PM me if you find some!

I did. It was super fun! :D
Our whole intro-week has been great.
I am SO excited for classes to start. :eusa_clap

(Oh and FYI - Lottabody is available in Banadir Shop on Griffenfeldsade for 45 kr. :D)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Tinseltown said:
Gah, those are cute too. :eek:
Ohhh the lounge is not good for my wallet. lol
Yes, please PM me if you find some!

I did. It was super fun! :D
Our whole intro-week has been great.
I am SO excited for classes to start. :eusa_clap

(Oh and FYI - Lottabody is available in Banadir Shop on Griffenfeldsade for 45 kr. :D)

Clean up your mailbox, I'm trying to PM you. ;)

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Hey check out the Fluevog web site for some funky boots, and shoes, of course..
They are on the expensive side but they do go on sale from time to time..
http://www.fluevog.com/

mackenzie

Familiar Face
Laura Chase said:

8ca6_1.JPG

NMX05BG_mn.jpg

588-3.jpg

Where can I get the grey boots? I love them!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner