Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear for Winter

mackenzie

Familiar Face
I just looked at the site, there is some nice stuff there, but those grey boots are just perfect. oh well, good thing it doesn't snow here anyways....

JupitersDarling

One of the Regulars
I've been looking arond since this thread reminded me I need some winter boots for living in western PA this winter, and I found La Canadienne has some cuuuute boots with round louis-type 1.5 inch heels- it's the line with names starting with a T (Trish, Tahra, Tula, etc). They have zippers, not lace-ups (alas!), but they're waterproof.

I really wanted a pair of these ('trish'- unforch they are a last winter model and hard to find)
1396-471172-d.jpg

Others (not La Canadienne):
Type Z: "Zaven" not so great for snow, no laces, but kinda retro-y
1396-478666-d.jpg

J-41: 'Pacific' Not at all period, but I looove the way these look! You could use scotch-gard to weatherproof the suede bits.
10942-652998-d.jpg

R

Red_Lipstick

I'd love to buy galoshes, they look so cute in old catalogues... anyone know where to get them in London? Or maybe online (with shipping to Europe!)

And does any of you use overshoes? What's your opinion of them?

Inky

One Too Many
Vintage Boots

I did try to search for this but i do not have good search voodoo in this forum so if there is already a thread on this, just let me know :)

Anyway, I was wondering what style of boot a lady might have worn in the winter during WWII to the mid 1950's? I love boots but don't want to buy any modern ones this season - it has to be vintage styled or actual vintage (the odds of that for my size 10B feet are doubtful, hahaha).

Thanks in advance, ladies of the Lounge!

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
I just saw a pair at an antique store here in Portland - in a 7B (I'm a 9.5 to 10 as well.) They have the classic heel, and if you can picture a closed-toed high-vamp shoe in velvet ... then add a little height to make it cover the ankle, that is about the style. They lace up. I'm sure they are from the early - mid 40's. REALLY cute. $95, though, which I supposed wouldn't be a bad price if you could fit 'em!

I actually go there frequently, and if I think of it, next time I will bring my camera and take a photo.

Emer

One of the Regulars
I don't share well with others

Just so you know, I always swear that I'm going to keep stores to myself, but truly, that would be wrong of me. How about these?

LDS07332.jpg

I think they're adorable, not too badly priced (just under $100) and they also come in brown. Here's the website: click me

I'm so bad at judging eras, so this may not be what you're looking for, but this site has some fabulous shoes!

epr25

Practically Family
9fa2_3.JPG

I guess these are a little much but they pop up on ebay all the time. Usually they are more boot like and not cut so low in the front as these are.

Blondie

Practically Family
Inky, it depends how period perfect u want to be........
I for one love old biker boots or old 40's mens work boots with jeans in winter ! I am a 10 1/2 in womens shoes.

Josephine

One Too Many
Texasgirl has a Montgomery Wards catalog from 193something, she said if there were any request for certain items she could scan them, try PM'ing her and see if her catalog has any boots in it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've merged this into an excellent previous thread on the subject, which links to yet another.

Depending on how dressy your look will be, what you might want are heeled rubber overshoes -- they look very much like what epr35 posted, only with a hollow rubber heel, and intended to be worn over your regular dress shoes. For low heels, most women wore what we grew up calling "rubbers" -- a simple rubber overshoe that just stretches over your regular shoe.

The good news is that low-heeled rubbers are still available -- Tingley makes them, and I swear by them. Don't wear leather shoes out in the snow and rain without them. The bad news is that the high heeled rubber overshoes haven't been made by anyone since the '70s, and we are at the mercy of eBay. I found a pair in my size years ago, and have been keeping them going with inner-tube patches over the holes and rips.

Inky

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
Oh Fleur, I really adore those last ones in brown and with white wool!

Thank you for merging the thread, Lizzie - I have dreadful luck with the search here, just so much info!

I love these boots Fleur - those would be perfect. It really doesn't get that cold here on the central coast of California, but it does get wet and my feet are always cold these days.

I'm on the hunt!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Josephine said:
Texasgirl has a Montgomery Wards catalog from 193something, she said if there were any request for certain items she could scan them, try PM'ing her and see if her catalog has any boots in it.

Sure, I'll check and see if there's anything! Here are my boots, they have a NRA tag so 33-35. Of course they are just on display since my calves are not like those of a 13 yr old :)

b547_3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav