Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Footwear for Winter

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
LizzieMaine said:
I'm curious about epr25's boots too -- if they aren't overshoes, I don't think I've ever seen anything like them. There are lots of styles of women's work, chore, and riding boots from the 30s and 40s, but I don't think I've ever seen a dress pair dating to the era that wasn't intended to be worn over regular street shoes. Maybe they were a custom item designed to be worn with a fur-trimmed dress? In any event, they're quite beautiful.

As far as the insert inside the overshoe heel goes, was it a solid piece, or a plastic shell? Reason I ask that is you'll sometimes find a plastic liner inside the heel of overshoes dating to the 50s and 60s -- it was intended as protection against stiletto heels, which would cut thru the rubber and ruin the overshoe in just one wearing without some sort of protection.

I wasn't sure what or who to quote on this, but I'm thinking those shoes are actually more modern. They're really cute and they totally have a vintage look to them, though. Something that makes me think later is the wider opening at the top and the shape of the heel on the inside. Maybe if epr25 could post a pic of the label we'd get a better idea :)

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
I appreciate your sympathy about the 40s ankle boots, ladies. :) I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Aurora, I love your winter boots! Especially the scalloped gingerbread details are very sweet. I don't know when to date them either, but the heels look late 60s? They had lots of great winter boots in the 60s.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Any advice?

I need some help regarding a lovely little pair of 40's furred over-boots I've got my eye on.
How do you go about sizing the boots?
Should I go by my foot measurements or a half size up? I'd hate to get the and not have the fit. That seems to happen too often with me.

Sunny

One Too Many
Odalisque said:
I need some help regarding a lovely little pair of 40's furred over-boots I've got my eye on.
How do you go about sizing the boots?
Should I go by my foot measurements or a half size up? I'd hate to get the and not have the fit. That seems to happen too often with me.
I know what you mean! It really is a guessing game. If there's a size on them, that should be accurate. Over-boots should be sized to fit over most shoes of that size. So my size 9 galoshes are definitely too big for my bare feet, but fit over both modern size 9 pumps and vintage size 9 1/2. If there's no given size, measure the outside of your shoes to get an average and make sure the inside of the overboots is no shorter. That's as good as it gets, I'm afraid.

Josephine

One Too Many
This isn't a particular snow boot/overshoe question, but I hope I can get some opinions. I have a pair of black "riding" boots, but I'm thinking of getting these:

kneehighboots.jpg

Mainly to have a pair of brown boots. I think I'm on a spending spree though, as I'm not sure why I need a pair of brown boots in addition to my black ones. What colors would I wear them with, etc? [huh]

crwritt

One Too Many
Brown would go with all of the warmer colors, sage green, tan and brown, rust colors, yellow. dark chocolate brown goes nicely with turquoise. If you never wear green or tan, if you prefer all of the cooler colors, black would be more all purpose for you.

Josephine

One Too Many
crwritt said:
Brown would go with all of the warmer colors, sage green, tan and brown, rust colors, yellow. dark chocolate brown goes nicely with turquoise. If you never wear green or tan, if you prefer all of the cooler colors, black would be more all purpose for you.

Thank you. :) I like the cooler colors- blue, green, purple, but I do like subdued warm colors. I'll keep an eye out for more of a chocolate brown boot.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
ok so my solution though not at all vintage is to wear my rubber rain boots then right before I have to go inside I slip the boots off and put my pretty shoes on unless they are suede then I wear the boots inside and change in there. it works really well even though it's a bit goofy looking

MissHannah

One Too Many
Winter footwear

I've been trying to find a pair of this style boot or similar for the winter for the last few years:

Picture3-16.png

A lot of eldery women wear them in this country - my grandmother used to - but I cannot find out where to get them new. Secondhand pairs come up on Ebay every now and then but it always seems to be when I've got no money!

So where do elderly british women go to buy their winter boots?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I know this doesn't help you for something local, but there are a couple similar products available through amerimark.com:

051382.jpg

051109.jpg

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Can someone please explain to me the logic of suede as a winter fabric, when you have to brush suede every time it gets wet?

Drappa

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Can someone please explain to me the logic of suede as a winter fabric, when you have to brush suede every time it gets wet?
I think it depends on how the suede or leather has been treated. I have several pairs of well worn suede boots that have gotten wet a lot and never had any water damage, and I have leather winter boots that got wet and were ruined with watermarks after one outing in the snow and despite being pre-treated.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I think they're probably more for keeping warm than dry? I wear black suede boots in the winter, though, and they haven't been ruined by rain or snow... yet. Grey suede doesn't seem so practical though.

MissHannah

One Too Many
Thanks Fleur - those are spot on! Only available in size 3.5, 7.5 and 8 though. But I'm hoping they'll do another model for this winter coming. And I'll keep searching ebay too. I missed out on a pair for about £8 last year.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Fleur De Guerre said:
I think they're probably more for keeping warm than dry? I wear black suede boots in the winter, though, and they haven't been ruined by rain or snow... yet. Grey suede doesn't seem so practical though.

I have a pair of grey suede boots (which are neither elegant nor vintage-y) which I've had for years now, have probably never cleaned, look nearly pristine and still feel very "suede-y". It's almost as if Gunther von Hagens has had a go at them...:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael