Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For once vintage in a positive way on TV

Louise Anne

Suspended
For once vintage in a positive way on TV
A friend on another forum feature in this clip and given my permission to post it here!, what I like about it that is that it brings the positive side out to wearing vintage , and look at the fabulous outfits been modelled.

Some times I feel TV articles can make out your a little odd collecting and wearing vintage, this is the opposite!

[video]http://video.citytv.com/video/detail/1212951384001.000000/vintage-clothing--october-11/[/video]

You will have to put up with a very short advert first .

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
This clip was preceded by a trailer for the remake of Footloose and for one wild second I thought that it was the clip you're trying to share with us. Needless to say I thought you'd lost your mind!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Ugh, I hate CityTV, especially Breakfast Television. They're targeting an audience with an IQ of 12.

But I will concede that it is nice to have a positive look :)

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I always cringe when things like this come on TV in the UK because they tend to make out that the lady wearing them is slightly freaky
"Oh you collect vintage" WHY every one else wears proper clothes etc,
instead of showing how vintage can be worn or how nice it looks on.

I do not watch the adds on these clips out of principle becuse I choose to watch the clip or not, and feel the advert should not be forced on me so haveI not a clue or interest of what it's about as I not see it.

lareine

A-List Customer
Strangely enough, I didn't see an advert when I watched this earlier, apart from the ad at the start with the ladies talking that seemed to be part of the show. Maybe they didn't have anything applicable to New Zealand :)

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
I would've enjoyed the video more if the models didn't look like they'd rather be anywhere else in the world. Especially the first gal. I chalked it up to inexperience.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
I loved the clothes and liked that they said it so positively, however... the thing that irked me just a hair was when they asked about outfit 2 when would you wear this? The answer... to the office or for the evening. I say how about wearing it about town! It's a wonderful ensemble that needs to be seen by more then just the co-workers and nightlife! :) Viva Las Vintage!!

Louise Anne

Suspended
The lady featured in this thread has supported me over the years, I contacted her before hand asking if she minded me posting this in forum and she said that she did not mind and kindly agreed seaming excited about it.
:eeek: Well I now am now well embarresed and wish I had not.:eeek:

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I don't think anyone has said anything that bad about the clip, Paul. Just discussion, which is surely why you posted it?

My comment was just a little joke after C-Dot's comment about TV programming. These things are never that deep on daytime telly! It's for the masses and not those who are more into their subject like many here.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Just curious, but you don't think that vintage is portrayed positively on TV? How so?

Say no more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042702/Time-Warp-Wives-Meet-women-really-live-past.html

They don't display the comments anymore, but it was relentless and cruel. If you run a couple Google searches, you'll find blog entries about them where it gets really horrific. Interestingly enough, people are so much more kind to their male counterpart, not just in the comments but in the tone of the article.

Last edited:

Louise Anne

Suspended
I think I rest my case looking at the links C-Dot put up.

Lots of people collect very odd things and I feel that's seen as been ok even if not to every one taste becuse they can be put away and stored and that person gets on with a 9 to 5 life , 2.5 kids and all that.

Not just collecting but wearing your collection and having a 40's or 50's look is seen differently by the media and makes a really nice human interest story but they got to spice it up a little. That goes into the area of Comments when you dress vintage.

Drappa

One Too Many
I'm sure the Daily Mail link got nasty comments not because these people dress vintage or collect things, but because every one of them was glorifying strict gender roles and the article made them sound holier than though - ie. my marriage is so much better because he works and I don't, I always look perfect and the house is clean, things were all better and less violent back when, etc. Sorry to say, but what a load of c%^*! It might have been editing, but the readers can't know that for sure, and of course that puts people's backs up.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It might have been editing, but the readers can't know that for sure, and of course that puts people's backs up.

I think that women dressing in full vintage attire, though, regardless of her lifestyle, brings on these connotations. Because if you like the clothes, you of course like the imperfections of the era too.

Drappa

One Too Many
I think that women dressing in full vintage attire, though, regardless of her lifestyle, brings on these connotations. Because if you like the clothes, you of course like the imperfections of the era too.

Possibly, but you don't have to prove people right, and they may be surprised. All the vintage girls I know in real life are quite self-sufficient, and many are feminists. The women interviewed there didn't just dress like it because they love those eras, but sounded like they were hiding from the world and life.
I don't think articles like that which focus on that particular kind of vintage woman are in any way representative of the vintage community, and that is where the problem lies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot