Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Gentleman / Ladies of slighter stature.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Here, my fine folk, is a thread for all of us who are vertically disinclined, the not so tall drink of water, the Bogarted, the... short.

I wanted to have a place where us folk (let's say five feet eight inches and under) could come and discuss all manner of things that befall us.

Here we can gripe about the sizes of modern clothing, the tragedy of buying vintage that proves to big to tailor or maybe just the things you want that don't com in your size.

Also perhaps some discussion on famous people who were smaller sized could be discussed. Bogart anyone?

And by no means should anyone of a taller disposition be unincluded in our discussion, join in my taller friends, join in!

So let's hear it folks, what's on your mind?

As for me? I've been ruminating lately on the length of coats being proportioned to someone of my height (5' 6".) Mostly I wear a 3/4 length coat, as I prefer the look of the length coat to my size.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I'm not short, I'm fun-sized! :)

I, too, am four feet, eighteen inches in height, and I share your pain. Finding trousers with a 27-inch inseam is nigh on impossible.

Brad

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'm not slight of height, just slight of weight. Like Atterbury Dodd, I'm also 5'10" and I have trouble finding shirts and coats that fit right because I'm so thin. To get sleeves the right length, I have to put up with a body that's all but falling off me. Pants are no problem. Belts tend to be. I'm almost always adding holes halfway up. Wrist watches never fit. I'd need to buy ladies' watches to fit my dainty wrists - not likely to happen.

Wolfen

One of the Regulars
I'm fairly tall (6'2") but extremely skinny (weight approx 135lbs). My pant size is 30" waist 34" inseem. Cant find that anywhere. I have had a few suit finds on the bay with pants that fit or that have enough fabric to let out but its very rare. Most 30" waist pants have max 32" inseem and that is just too short.

I'm not slight of height, just slight of weight. Like Atterbury Dodd, I'm also 5'10" and I have trouble finding shirts and coats that fit right because I'm so thin. To get sleeves the right length, I have to put up with a body that's all but falling off me. Pants are no problem. Belts tend to be. I'm almost always adding holes halfway up. Wrist watches never fit. I'd need to buy ladies' watches to fit my dainty wrists - not likely to happen.

I am right behind you on the shirt/watch problem. I wear vests (waistcoats) to hide all of the extra shirt fabric. Gave up on watches years ago. Pocket watches kind of go along with wearing a vest though so thats nice.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I can't take credit for it, as I heard it from someone else, but it was so good I just had to appropriate it for myself.

Brad

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
'Good things come in small packages' ....

Its challenging (and amusing) for me having to measure up a gentleman that is 6'4" tall. I quite often need the help of a small stool, being only 5' feet myself. I can duck under the rain .... :D

You gentlemen are perfectly sized. :cool:

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Thanks Paisley for the links, we need more links to other threads!

So an interesting thought involving my height. I live in a house built in 1904, and I noticed this morning that the staircase to the bedrooms is rather steep and has such low height at the entrance to the staircase, it would be rather difficult for anyone over six foot to walk up... they would smack their head. I marveled at this, the house is like a time capsule for whoever built it, it says they were of a smaller height... I'm going to look into its history more.

Last edited:

mimesis2nemesis

One of the Regulars
Yeah, being both small and skinny is not so bad (5'4", 110 lbs), I can go to places most guys never even knew existed! ;). My only issue is with clothing... I've yet to find an OTR suit that fits me... Good thing for me is that I know some brands that seem to fit me perfectly. But as for Leather Jackets, My absolute Favorite piece of Clothing... that's another story...

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Paisley for the links, we need more links to other threads!

So an interesting thought involving my height. I live in a house built in 1904, and I noticed this morning that the staircase to the bedrooms is rather steep and has such low height at the entrance to the staircase, it would be rather difficult for anyone over six foot to walk up... they would smack their head. I marveled at this, the house is like a time capsule for whoever built it, it says they were of a smaller height... I'm going to look into its history more.

I left the cupboard doors over the staircase slightly open and bumped into them. I'm 5'-4".

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Although I don't really have the right to chime in (6'6"ish), I am slight of build. Having a 38 inch chest makes it very difficult to find things that fit, as I have very long arms, even for my height. Trousers are similarly difficult (32/36, and I am also extremely short-waisted). I have to say, the current trend from slim fit and skinny clothes is great for me, because what is made to be tight on someone my height normally is not obscenely baggy on me.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Do any of the hard-to-fit men here make their own clothes?

I don't make my own clothes, but my mother has sewn a couple waistcoats for me. I do modify things like hems and such, but I am not quite good enough to make my own clothes yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails