Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Gentleman / Ladies of slighter stature.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Thanks Paisley for the links, we need more links to other threads!

So an interesting thought involving my height. I live in a house built in 1904, and I noticed this morning that the staircase to the bedrooms is rather steep and has such low height at the entrance to the staircase, it would be rather difficult for anyone over six foot to walk up... they would smack their head. I marveled at this, the house is like a time capsule for whoever built it, it says they were of a smaller height... I'm going to look into its history more.
In the first house I owned built in 1915 the stair case was a real head knocker for those over 5'10". It was very amusing to watch a room mates boyfriend who was 6'4" descend the stairs. the downfall was you couldn't even get a full sized box spring up the stairs.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I think the ladies in the powder room have discussed this but.... I will revive it here. Do you often get comments about you height. Such as... I often will have people suddenly realize that I am only 5'1" tall much later into knowing me. They will one day out of the blue just say you really are short aren't you. Must be my big personality that fools em.;)

I've actually had people take me for over 6' from photos, but then find out in person that I actually only have enough stature to look Paisley in the eyes, assuming she's not wearing heels and I haven't had the "Aggression Inhibitor Overload 2-inch Height Gain" triggered... and then there's the angle of being built like a trial-size version of FL member Big Man except in the shoulders.

Disgusting as it is, short of custom work the only place I've found with slacks that fit me is *gag*Wal*hack*Mart*barf*. At least other vendors stock 2-pocket khaki longsleeve shirts... now if only they'd make 'em with an 18"-19" neck and 32-33" sleeve.

Last edited:

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
lders.

Disgusting as it is, short of custom work the only place I've found with slacks that fit me is *gag*Wal*hack*Mart*barf*. A
Totally off topic but I think I could write a book about all the reasons I hate walmart. I rarely visit one and this last weekend I went in because of a supposed good deal that did not exist and I remember even more reasons why I hate the Evil Wal Empire!!!

PastimeSteve

One of the Regulars
As posted on my Facebook page, a quote from the great Paco Ravini -- "Your stature as a man is measured much like the tasty ravioli -- not by the size of the shell, but by the quality of the stuffing."

Foofoogal

Banned
I am 5 and 3/4 but think I am 8 feet tall. Always gets me in trouble.

Land-Of-Lakes Gal. Maybe we overcompensate with our personality.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I am five feet not a single inch more... people tend to greet me with things like "you're so small" no, really? I hadn't noticed.

Women about five-two or five-three tend to be particularly gleeful about it. Joy of not being the shortest in the room, I think.

Skirts are forgiving, to a point. Many short flirty skirts are retro and not nearly so short on me. Pants often just don't work at all - and some of my best pairs were actually capris. :(

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I'm 5' 6". I actually find that it's easier for me to find well fitting vintage stuff*. My main problem is finding properly fitting, modern, off the peg shirts. I have to buy "medium" because I have a 39" chest, 15 1/2 collar, and a 32" waist. When I buy shirts (or jackets for that matter) which fit me in the chest, they invariably drown me in length, and fit like a bell tent at the tails.

I don't think I'm really short enough to attract any comments, but that might change. I've recently started dating a very nice lady who is about 1/2 an inch taller than I am - 2 inches when she has on her heels! Luckily this doesn't bother either of us. She's very glamourous and elegant anyway, so i just feel like Cuddly Dudley Moore when we're out on the town. :D

* With the exception of hats - I take a 61. My head is like an orange on a toothpick! I've only found one vintage hat which fits me. Lucky for me it's a beauty.

Last edited:

HannahJane

Familiar Face
I'm just over 5ft (by 1/4 of an inch :D ) and I often get comments about my height. Normally it's things like "You're not very tall are you?" or the ever funny, "Did you know you're quite short?" I'm never sure how to reply to this sort of thing so I normally go for a sarcastic "Gosh, really? I must have shrunk in the rain!"

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Gentlemen, please...now you can say that there's a few women on this site for which height is not a deciding factor for...let's say companionship. I'm roughly 5'8", and I've dated fellas that were both taller or shorter than me - the only person that's had a problem with it is them. I admit, I do give them fair warning if I'm going to wear heels when I'm out with them, but I figure that's only fair - what guy wants to be greeted at the door by an Amazon? lol

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I admit, I do give them fair warning if I'm going to wear heels when I'm out with them, but I figure that's only fair - what guy wants to be greeted at the door by an Amazon? lol

I have to admit, I have mostly ended up with girls at least a full foot shorter than me.

Femme Fatale

New in Town
Gentlemen, please...now you can say that there's a few women on this site for which height is not a deciding factor for...let's say companionship. I'm roughly 5'8", and I've dated fellas that were both taller or shorter than me - the only person that's had a problem with it is them. I admit, I do give them fair warning if I'm going to wear heels when I'm out with them, but I figure that's only fair - what guy wants to be greeted at the door by an Amazon? lol

I have to agree on that one height doesn't bother me at all. I'm 5'10 and I adore my heels so on any given day i'm a good 6'1-6'2. Usually when i meet a guy generally the first question I get is " Does my height bother you?" When you're a woman close to 6 feet you learn to forget about needing to feel tiny around men. I haven't had that feeling since the 5th grade lol

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I'm also on the other end of the spectrum. 6'4" with gorilla arms. I absolutely can not wear an off the rack suit because my 48 or 50L that fits well up top makes me feel quite skinny in the waist. Being that I have about a 10" drop between chest and waist it makes finding deals difficult. Shirts and sweaters are also equally frustrating. I can not but a dress shirt at a Brooks brothers outlet because they only go to 36" in length and I take a 38". Sweaters have the be purchased in either XLT or XXL, but I tend to shy away from XXL because they swallow me whole. Another issue is finding vintage or good deals on shoes. I take anywhere from a 12-13 depending on the last but I'm more suited to 12.5 and a well fitting shoe for a good price say on ebay or on clearance is almost nonexistent for me. I also understand about significant others, I have dated from 5'11" down to 5' and my wife is 5'3". I did like being with a taller girl it was nice and we complemented each other well and it also helped we both played sports. My step mom is tall 5'10" and always complained that all the tall guys liked short girls when she was growing up and only left her with shorties, luckily my dad is 6'3".

DesertDan

One Too Many
........ At least other vendors stock 2-pocket khaki longsleeve shirts... now if only they'd make 'em with an 18"-19" neck and 32-33" sleeve.

Amen!!
If I need a shirt with which to wear a tie I inevitably look as though they used pants legs to make the sleeves! :rage:

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I have been lectured on "taking tall men from the tall girls who really need them" - I had been unaware of the wartime rationing! :D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo