Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

For the Gentleman / Ladies of slighter stature.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
I'm 5'-10' so I'm not too short, but I have a difficult time with off-the-rack shirts. If I buy the 16 neck I need, the sleeves are an inch or two too long and the torso fit is like wearing a tent. Nearly every dress shirt I have has to be tapered and the sleeves taken up.

Funny, the only shirts that seem to fit well are all made in the UK.

Oh, and no problem with the taller ladies. I like 'em all, let 'em stare.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
It is not the size of the person, but the Heart and Soul by which a man is measured...;)

Well said NikT!! I must agree! I'm at 5' 3-1/2"or 5'4" (depending on where and who is measuring me) and a social ballroom dancer. I much prefer a slightly shorter man for dancing (and romancing) with! Some moves are just easier and more comfortable when there is not a large height disparity between a man and a woman.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm just used to having my ladies trousers shortened and my evening gowns hemmed up. I've used the same alterationist for many years, she's always done wonderfully for me. Topping out at 5'3-1/2" or 5'4" and being a social dancer to boot, men have never commented on my height or lack of it. Except for one, all of my vintage 40s dresses fit me in the length just fine and dandy.

I've had a gentleman friend call me an Amazon, but I think he wasn't talking about my height!

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
Funny, the only shirts that seem to fit well are all made in the UK.

That is funny, I find the opposite to be true for me! The best fitting shirts I have are all modern off the peg Van Heusens. Perfect in sleeve and torso length. I find Marks and Spencer's shirts the worst - I think they just shove different collar sizes on a gargantuan one-size-fits-all sack.

Last edited:

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Well said NikT!! I must agree! I'm at 5' 3-1/2"or 5'4" (depending on where and who is measuring me) and a social ballroom dancer. I much prefer a slightly shorter man for dancing (and romancing) with! Some moves are just easier and more comfortable when there is not a large height disparity between a man and a woman.
I have never found this to be a problem in fact if I lead (which I will do if there is a male shortage) I have don't have a problem leading ladies of 6" and have never bonked them in the head with my arm.

HepKitty

One Too Many
I have never found this to be a problem in fact if I lead (which I will do if there is a male shortage) I have don't have a problem leading ladies of 6" and have never bonked them in the head with my arm.

Awesome, that says a lot for your leading skills. I've just recently started leading and it's not exactly easy :)

Your average infantryman in WWI would have been about my height, but still only around 1/2 to 2/3 the total body mass--someone of my proportions would've likely been a bar-bouncer or some similar occupation then.

Biggest problems with my height are the mechanics, and the fact that in what I consider my core business it's hard to "meat-shield" for someone if they have to duck so that you can perform the role some of mt friends who retired off the Presidential Protection Detail sardonically call "Catching The Bullet"... :eek: lol

That said, I've always had a weakness for gals I could look up to...;)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Weren't the folks a bit shorter back in 'the day' than people are now anyway- so I'm perfect for vintage, right?? That's my story and I'm stickin' with it:)

That's what I told a guy who was being kind of unlikable about female war reeinactment - I told him I was a lot more authentic to that particular era than he was! (He was 6'2", 250 lbs, capped teeth...)

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Weren't the folks a bit shorter back in 'the day' than people are now anyway- so I'm perfect for vintage, right?? That's my story and I'm stickin' with it:)

I totally agree!!!

And for my leading I just stick to the east coast swing so nothing too complicated. I use my own footwork because I just can't seem to switch to the mens no matter how much I have practiced but I can work it just fine with the ladies footwork it just eliminates anything in closed position so no slow songs just fast ones but thats ok I like those better anyway.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I totally agree!!!

And for my leading I just stick to the east coast swing so nothing too complicated. I use my own footwork because I just can't seem to switch to the mens no matter how much I have practiced but I can work it just fine with the ladies footwork it just eliminates anything in closed position so no slow songs just fast ones but thats ok I like those better anyway.

IF I'm always the follower, its always the man's fault when we screw up- not mine!:)

Mulceber

Practically Family
I'm definitely not short (6' 3/4"), but I can definitely sympathize on having trouble finding clothing that fits right - mainly fedoras. I have a size 7 1/2 head that makes finding vintage hats in my size very difficult, to the point where all my hats are newer custom jobs. That isn't a bad thing, in and of itself, unless you consider it's effects on my wallet. It's really been painful though these past few weeks as I've had to watch so many of Garret's wonderful hats float right by because my noggin is too big. Anyway, sorry to crash your slighter-stature thread - just wanted to let you know that we larger people have problems too. -M

MikeBravo

One Too Many
IF I'm always the follower, its always the man's fault when we screw up- not mine!:)

I know following is fun, God knows I enjoy it on occasion. It is quite rare for me to do that as leads are a bit short on the ground (no pun intended). So I mostly lead. We have lot of gals who lead here and we have a pretty big scene. Go for it

PS They're not "screw-ups", they're called "variations"

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Mulceber, of course we know people of all stature have problems.

Anyone is welcome here, maybe I should re-title the thread to the problems of stature... that doesn't sound good, any suggestions people?

I met a fellow today, who tells me (and I'm excited about this) of a group of sport coat wearing people who make the rounds every weekend... he says he only has one sport coat though. Upon inquiring why, he tells me he's not that tall 5'8" but rather skinny, so its hard to find modern coats... at this I smile, and gesture to my well fitting vintage coat from the 1940s and I say "vintage, my son, vintage." With luck I soon won't be the only vintage Gent running around Juneau.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy