Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Formal Wear and Hats?

Edward

Bartender
IM, as they say, HO.... if you're only going to wear black tie once in a blue moon, a black fedora will do as well. A homberg is preferable, though, if you're gonig to be out in black tie with any regularity. Not expensive, either: seems to me that vintage homs don't command anything like the price of a same-condition fedora in a popular size... OFAS usually has a whole bunch, though be careful if you're looking at new ones. Price is usually the giveaway, but i saw one selling that was listed as "real wool fur felt!" ... on enquiry, turned out to be wool. The wool hats can look great too, of course, and are a cheap way in to homberg owning as well, but naturally you just want to know what it is so you don't overpay.

If you're a little wary of the homburg being too formal, or an odd transition from a fedora, you could go down the route of giving it a more fedora-style bash, a la Mick Collins:

michael-collins-1-sized.jpg

Naturally, for wearing with black tie, black is the only colour.I have toyed with the idea of one in ivory to match an ivory dj, but I don't think I'm quite, eh, hip hop enough to carry that off without looking like a reject from the Scissor Sisters. lol

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Thank you! I wear Black Tie just enough to justify;) the Homburg. Mardi Gras Krewe Ball, Fraternity Founder's Day. University Foundation Donor Dinner, the Lodge Degree nights.....

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
For Black Tie

When I wear a charcoal grey overcoat, a charcoal grey fedora; When I wear a camelhair overcoat :)eek:), a black fedora. Such is the method to my madness. :eek:

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Pull the Trigger, Man...

Buy it! My only other suggestion isto look for one in dark charcoal grey and just see if you like it better (I'm thinking you might get more wear out of it).

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
OldSkoolFrat said:
That brings me to the rub, am in the SE USA. A true, "overcoat," is a total luxury item worn two days a yeardown hee-aye. A lined trench or single button is all that is needed in the winter months.

So: http://bencrafthats.com/product.php?pid=22&subcname=Dobbs

I lived in Atlanta for twelve years and loved it. Don't really like being back in Michigan but the only benefit is I have reason to wear sweaters and overcoats again.

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso said:
When I wear a charcoal grey overcoat, a charcoal grey fedora; When I wear a camelhair overcoat :)eek:), a black fedora. Such is the method to my madness. :eek:

That could make sense too.... When going out in black tie, I like to keep the whole look as close to black and white alone as I can. I'm planning to buy a herringbone patterened grey topcoat eventually, though, for black tie exclusively. :)

Edward

Bartender
Hmmnn..... I've never seen it done, so I'm not sure what it would look like.... don't see why it would be off-limits, though: bowlers were once considered casual but became regarded as a formal hat over time. I don't recall that they were ever considered a specifically day-hat, so you should be fine. AFAIK, they were commonly worn with strollers by bankers and the likes in the City; bearing in mind top hats were worn with both morning and evening formal dress, it would seem logical that a bowler would not be wholly out of place with black tie.

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Wow, Edward

I'm a huge fan of Michael Collind but never thought I'd see the Big Fella used as an example for proper formal wear. Lloyd George must be rolling over in his grave!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
KObalto said:
I'm a huge fan of Michael Collind but never thought I'd see the Big Fella used as an example for proper formal wear. Lloyd George must be rolling over in his grave!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

lol I studied that period of Irish history extensively at school (and again at university in a legal history module), and I'm still a big fan of the era. Back in the old country ('m from North of the border...) you have to be careful just where you express admiration for the Big Fella. ;) Lloyd George I liked a lot too.... as, I believe, did the Republican boys who negotiated the '21 Treaty with him. It's said that the reason deV didn't go to London with them was only in part so that he couldn't be seen to be compromising the Republic: apparently on the early visit he did make before the negotiations proper, he liked George a lot and was concerned that he could talk him into compromising too much.

My "new" vintage homberg just arrived this morning, and it's very Big Fella! :)

Topper

Vendor
If evening attire is Black tie: Then wear a Trilbowler or a Homburg
( never a bowler, which is working day wear)

If evening attire is White tie tails: Black Top hat.

Pip-pip

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I am enough of a Yank not to know what a Trilbowler is, let alone where to get one, or whether or not I'd look like a perfect prat in one.

The "working wear" designation occasionally needs reconsidering. Not doing so was enough to just about kill off the US Navy's best looking uniform, the venerable Aviation Greens, because it wasn't practical around today's aircraft but regs dating to the 1970s forbid it as dress wear.

Topper

Vendor
Trilbowler is one of my own designs - It is a bowler re-blocked with a "trilby" style at the front of the crown, thus making it less formal than daywear Bowler, and more "snappy" to go with Black tie.

ATH_1799.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot