Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found on another site

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you read the Lounge for too long, you might
forget there is a world out there... sort of an
alternate universe...

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showpost.php?p=721690&postcount=4382

I can't iframe the link and it's all about the comments, but
here is the image, to whet your appetite:

2999893510102775237S500x500Q85.jpg

What is a vintage hat?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I can't believe people actually like that crap.

But then again, people say the same thing about us [huh]

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Seems to be a nice site if you're seriously into advertising. And I KNEW there had to be somebody.....some benighted individual who liked that sort of hat. There appear to be more than one actually. How grotesque. Oh well.....chacun à son goût.

KatintheHat

Suspended
I have a couple of Irish Walking Hats that I enjoy occsionally. With their quilted linings they are quite warm on a cold winter day. They're a lot more popular than one may imagine. You just don't notice them until you own one. They are often referred to as, "The original fishing hat."

celtic

A-List Customer
i almost bought a similar one.

i dig them.

good thing people have different opinions, or this globe would be quite boring.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Oh, for sure! Definitely. And I myself like the real Irish tweed hats. The hat shown at least seems to be made from natural materials.....but it is one of the genre I think of as "Grandpa hats"- my maternal grandfather was sort of the quintessential Midwestern American politician, a loud and hearty man who was never seen without one of these trilby-style hats, usually made from some synthetic material in a strangely-hued tweed or plaid, usually with a contrasting sport coat. But that was stylish in the 60s and 70s, at least in his world.
Kind of odd when I look at pictures of him in the 1930s and he's wearing a beautiful wide-lapelled suit and a fine wide-brimmed fedora. Things change, but not always for the better.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I wouldn't advocate rounding up wearers of hats
like these and sending them to re-education camps. There
must be a place for such a look. But check out the link. The
hat is described as "smart-looking" and "That hat, though: hot.
If it coordinates, it can nicely spice up the whole look."

Would someone like to explain how that hat could be "hot"
or precisely which suit it would complement?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure that it would look fine with what it's meant for - an Irish look. Bulky sweaters, tweed coats with wool pants, walking sticks, etc. As suggested above, for fishing, I'm sure it's just the right hat. "Hot" though...[huh]

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Maybe for some idealised version of fishing- casting for trout or salmon in Scotland with a crisp breeze blowing.....on the kind of fishing trips I've been on it would be "hot" all right- your head would roast.

carter

I'll Lock Up
The Irish Walking Hat (referenced by KatintheHat) is great for walking, hiking, rambling, fishing in the damp Irish climate. I have one from Hanna Hats that looked better before the dogs decided to chew on it for awhile.
irishwalk380.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy