Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Guide to Buying a Leather Jacket

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Not to overly plug myself, but my video on this subject is WAAAAAAY better.
Not only that, but if guys like Superfluous were to make something on this subject, it would be even better.
That "A2" was not an A2 FFS!!!

Benproof

A-List Customer
We see the two zip thing on 1 piece race suits. Some riders like them. Those zips are usually straight though. This is because zips do not like being curved. Might just get away with it with nylon coil zips which are a bit more tolerant but we see a lot of failed metal tooth zips where they are asked to run curves. Would probably be fine in the short term but...I bet they are a s*d to replace.

Absolutely. The time it takes to unzip the whole cow off after a race, it's a nightmare with 1 zip. I prefer them even if technical zips for technical suits are probably off the radar for most. Had a gear bag with a curved zip - they work fine and never failed. Look like train tracks which curve - train stays on the curve as well as straight lines as long as it doesn't get done too fast.

John Warr

Familiar Face
Absolutely. The time it takes to unzip the whole cow off after a race, it's a nightmare with 1 zip. I prefer them even if technical zips for technical suits are probably off the radar for most. Had a gear bag with a curved zip - they work fine and never failed. Look like train tracks which curve - train stays on the curve as well as straight lines as long as it doesn't get done too fast.

You are quite right, bags tend to get away with it - although we have seen a couple of big cases for brass instruments where they have failed - and both times on the curve- It is on people that they tend to go. Such awkward shapes, and not always that careful. Damn them :)

Last edited:

John Warr

Familiar Face
Not to overly plug myself, but my video on this subject is WAAAAAAY better.
Not only that, but if guys like Superfluous were to make something on this subject, it would be even better.
That "A2" was not an A2 FFS!!!

I have probably posted this link before. The subject matter is heavily biased towards motorcycle leathers with a bit of info on flying kit...and I own to having an interest - it is strictly our personal view...
http://www.bysonleather.co.uk/BYSON LEATHER AboutLeathers.htm

Gamma68

One Too Many
After skimming this thread, I don't think the article referenced would be a great resource for my next leather jacket purchase. I am interested in picking up a military-issue A-2 to accompany my 1968 G-1. Is there a FL thread that would be a solid primer for making such a purchase? I want to be an informed buyer. Thanks.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I did find the article amusing. The prices quoted are not exactly good value IMO. The A2, what can one say..........a very poor example of this iconic jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran