Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Found something interesting on a prospectin trip...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
This is straight out of an old cowboy movie. In fact, I'm certain that I recall Hopalong Cassidy having a major shootout with some desperados right in this little camp.
:)

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Just out of morbid curiosity..........

This place wouldn't happen to have an old stone fireplace would it? with what looks like either a "swing arm" for the kettle or the pot or a hole where it once was does it? Fairly nice stone mantle?
JUST saying!!!

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
This is straight out of an old cowboy movie.
:)

Or Treasure of Sierra Madre?
06142008_treasure_of_the_sierra_madre_0-300x225.jpg
2521510201_f422e5396b.jpg

TM

A-List Customer
Nice cabin! Imagine all the work that went into making those rock walls.

I wish Mojave Jack were around to comment on this, he's really familiar with the high desert. But he hasn't posted in quite a while.

With a little research you should find a lot of information about the mine. Mine claims had to be registered, and mines were regulated. So probably the County Planning Department would have something. Also check the local historical society.

As far as buying it, you might be buying a very expensive hazardous waste problem. You mentioned you found cyanide. Cyanide and mercury were used in gold mining and that can contaminate a site. This may well be while the former owner abandoned the site. Any present or future owner will be saddled with the expense of cleaning up the site. So be careful!

Also, it's really hard to secure property in a remote location. If there are neighbors, get to know them. And if one seems trustworthy, offer to pay them something to keep an eye on your house. It'll be well worth it.

Tony

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Like I said, though, not directly--if you keep things on the down-low and don't let anyone see that you're upgrading, might make a good place to stash supplies and bug-out to in case of another Watts/Rodney King/Other Civil Unrest scenario.

I like your thinking.

thunderw21 said:
I like your thinking.
Yeah, sometimes it's more secure to not attract attention and "fly below the radar" than to construct a massive fortified compound where friend and foe alike know it's there.

The more attention your retreat attracts from the living, the more they will in turn attract from the undead or other such threats...:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn