Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain pen aficionados: I need an extra-fine point

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Hello all,

I don't have much money to spend, (ie: no more than $85 or so) and I'd like to get as much fountain pen as I can for my buck. That's pretty obvious. Now, comes the tricky part. My handwriting is ...let's just call it a sloppier, cramped impersonation of Spencerian. When I use a very fine-writing pen, it looks elegant. On the other hand, most fountain pens I've tried (never good ones, cheap, sub $30 @ Staples types) write much too wide, and my writing looks horrid. The Waterman Phileas is, I know, highly recommended as a good-quality, entry-level fountain pen. However, A) it's getting darned near impossible to find the fine point version, and B) I've heard that said "fine" point is really more of a medium point anyway, the medium of the same pen being fairly wide.

So, in essence, I want to pick your brains, since you all know this "field" much better than I do. What's a good, sub-$85, readily-attainable fountain pen with a very fine nib? It can be either vintage or new, I have no preference, really, because both have their ups and downs.

Talbot

One Too Many
I have a Rotring Espit with a fine point. I suppose it depends on the paper, but its a little scratchy for my taste, and the nib is not wide enough. I had a very nice entry level Pelikan with a wide narrow nib. I'm looking for another.

Talbot

DerMann

Practically Family
If you're still looking for an entry level fountain pens, the Hero 616 can be had for $10 plus shipping from a member of the Fountain Pen Network. They're basically a copy of the Parker 51, and they have very fine nibs and write very dry. Aerometric filler with pretty good ink capacity.

This particular fellow sells them for the same price retail websites do, but he personally burnishes the nibs, cleans off the factory gun, and removes any defective pens from his inventory.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you his info.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lamy Safari ($30) and All-Star ($35) are great pens, are available with extra-fine nibs, and you can use them with a converter for bottled ink or ink cartridges. I've had a couple for around a decade as my knock-around pens and I've never had any problem with them whatsoever. Colorado Pen and various other fountain pen retailers carry them.

shortbow

Practically Family
I know you're asking about fountain pens, so if this is of no use, ignore it, but if you write at home a lot, you might look into dip pens. I have several, and most of the nibs I've got are as sharp as a needle, and you can get a line so fine it'll boggle your brain. Luck to ya.

Lamy 2000 Extra Fine Point!

Just saw this from the World Lux website.

They have the Lamy 2000 on sale for $135.00. Which is a pretty good price. It has a 14K nib and they have the extra-fines listed, it also is a piston fill pen. I have one that is a very smooth writer. It is a good price for the quality of a 14k nib and a piston fill design. The design is from 1984 and looks like something James Bond would use, modern yet classic and classy plus a near bullet proof pen from Germany.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR