Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pen Ink Questions

Valhson

One of the Regulars
We have had many conversations concerning fountain pens. And as I am more of a serial Lurker rather than a very active member (I spend too much time on a computer for work sorry…) I may have missed the threads concerning the best ink to use for signing documents. I know that Noodler’s is the preferred but I am not sure as to which would be considered the best.

Also I was sort of hoping to find a nice colour of black that would have a tint of something else (i.e. green or blue) as a “signature” to my signature.

Any thoughts?

And should be get back into the pen conversation it is for a Parker 51 (1947, was the year it was purchased by the grandfather) I am eying one of the Modern Xezo pens also but know nothing of them…

vonwotan

Practically Family
My favourite inks have always been the blue-black inks. I also tend to pick up Montblanc or Omas blue-black inks when I take my pens in for cleaning or maintenance. Noodlers is my preferred ink but I won't pass on free or discounted inks from the manufacturer...

wldthistle

New in Town
I've tried quite a few inks, and my favorite has to be Aurora's blue ink, which approaches blue-black. It's a joy to write with, no matter the pen (some pens seem to be a bit particular about their ink). Nice color, too.

If you're going to be signing the next Declaration of Independence, and are concerned about the signature lasting, not being tampered with, etcetera, there are some specially made inks - you already mentioned Noodler's. I've heard great things, but haven't gotten around to trying it myself. Better yet, use India ink with a dip pen, which I think is probably as archival as you can get. Just don't use it in a fountain pen - you'll probably ruin the pen!

If the pen, rather than the document is the priceless object, common advice is to stick to Parker Quink and Schaeffer Skrip, which are pretty mild inks, and less likely to dye a clear ink view window, for example.

If you want to research the matter further, I suggest the usenet group alt.collecting.pens-pencils. Great bunch of pen folk there, including Nathan Tardiff, the maker of Noodler inks.

-Greg

beezaur

New in Town
My attorney says, "just not black," when asked what color ink to use for legal documents. Other attorneys insist on blue. When I bought land a couple of years ago the woman doing the papers insisted on blue.

So, I use Noodler's Legal Lapis. Bulletproof, archival, and a reasonably dark blue from a wet pen. It does have a bit of a teal, blue-jeans looking color which some don't care for, but the ink works well for me. Lots of nib creep though.

Noodler's makes a vintage-colored ink, Ellis Island I think it is called. I don't know a lot about it. I think it is a dark blue meant to replicate the color of old signatures of people coming into America for the first time at Ellis Island.

Scott

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Generally, blue is best for legal documents, as it contrasts with the black print. That contrast helps distinguish originals from copies (with the caveat that a good color copier may break that rule). Also, blue usually shows as lighter than the original print on a b&w copier, although I can say from experience that Noodler's Luxury Blue copies as black as the original print.

Some states (or local courts) specify what color ink should be used, so you may want to check on that in your area. To add to the confusion, sometimes the same jurisdiction will require different colors on different document types! For instance, the same court may require that briefs be signed in black, motions in blue or black, and real estate documents in blue! And state agencies may have their own separate requirements. (Any local attorney should know which is which.)

I work in a law office, and use Noodler's Luxury Blue for everything, but I also carry a pen in my jacket filled with Noodler's Black for certain documents. (At least one form we use regularly specifies "black, nonfading ink.")

Hope this helps!

-Jake

Valhson

One of the Regulars
Most of our contract stuff and typical Documents all ask for Blue or Black with the Black being the de facto color. I was hoping for something that is a little different. Black base maybe with some blue hints? Thanks for the ideas I will be looking up a few of the mentioned types.

Valhson

One of the Regulars
wldthistle said:
If you're going to be signing the next Declaration of Independence, and are concerned about the signature lasting, not being tampered with, etcetera, there are some specially made inks -

-Greg

lol lol Not quite but the documents do transfer tons of money that I will never personally see...

French

Familiar Face
Noodler's inks

Hi,

I mainly use Noodler's inks in my pens. If you are looking for a fraud resistant ink, any of the Noodler's Bulletproof or eternal inks will do quite well. Others have mentioned Legal Lapis and Luxury Blue, I have both. You may also want to consider Noodler's Brown or Verdun Green, both will definitely stand out on the original document.

The one caution I was given regarding these inks is to remember to flush out your pen regularly (I do it when I refill). In general, the old addage "cleanliness is next to godliness" also holds true for fountain pens.

French

What a Lovely Shade of Blue

Noodler's makes several shades of blue I like including the Lake Placid. i love Namiki Blue and Pelikan Blue too.

If you want to address an envelope with a washable ink, you can rub a white wax candle over the writing or get some Micro-Glaze made by Skyrcraft Design it works well too. www.skycraft.com

Highlander

A-List Customer
Well, I am currently using my Pelikan S-800. And I either use Visconti or Pelikan ink in it. Usually the Lapis Blue color. Very nice color and works well in my pen.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Like the attorney mentioned above, and for the same reasons, I never use black for my signature. That lets me tell my originals from my photocopies. As I don't like constantly switching out pens, that means I use blue for everything. Which ink I use depends on the pen.

For my Shaeffer pens, I tend to stick with the basic blue cartridges. The Shaeffer blue is a nice, bright blue. I have a Shaeffer, the model of which I do not know, but that's my "go to" pen. (I've been trying to figure out the model, with no success as of yet.) When my pen must work and cannot fail me, that's usually the one I grab. Unfortunately, the Shaeffer converters don't seem to hold much ink. Add to that the fact that I like medium nibs and write very large, and you can see why I go through ink pretty quickly.

For my other pens, I like the Private Reserve. Naples blue at the moment, but I'm working my way through several different shades of blue.

Haven't tried Noodler's, but I'll have to pick some up if I see any.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Highlander said:
Well, I am currently using my Pelikan S-800. And I either use Visconti or Pelikan ink in it. Usually the Lapis Blue color. Very nice color and works well in my pen.

Last year I started using a 20 year-old bottle of Pelikan 4001 (Brilliant Brown), and received many comments on its color. I recently starting using Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, only because it was the last color available (and I believe on sale). It works very well in my Pen and Ink Sketch pen, but I wouldn't use it to sign documents, either.

univibe88

One Too Many
I am glad this thread turned me on Noodlers Ink. I have been using a Montblanc daily for 10 years with boring, black cartridges.

Today I got a piston converter and a bottle of Noodlers "La Coleuer Royal." It's a very deep purple. I was worried it might be too bright or garish, but it's not. At a glance it looks like a dark blue, but if you look close it is obviously purple. It has a professional look and I won't hesitate to use it in meetings every day.

D

DeaconKC

I am fairly new to fountain pens, but I am having very good results with Parker's Quink Blue.

invention13

New in Town
Aurora blue

I can only speak to blue - never really cared for black ink personally...
I really like the Aurora blue ink. It has a slightly violet cast to it - it reminds me a bit of the blue in the old supermarket price marking guns - a really vivid, rich blue-violet.
It depends a bit on the pen, but in my Pelikan pen, it is really, really smooth. There is no effort or scratchiness to the writing at all and starts instantly.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
univibe88 said:
Today I got a piston converter and a bottle of Noodlers "La Coleuer Royal." It's a very deep purple. I was worried it might be too bright or garish, but it's not. At a glance it looks like a dark blue, but if you look close it is obviously purple. It has a professional look and I won't hesitate to use it in meetings every day.
I bought a bottle of this today for signatures. It's very nice, but slightly too much of a purple for my tastes. I'm considering blending it with some black to see what I can come up with. Have to say, though, that I do like the way the Noodler's writes.

univibe88

One Too Many
My perception was just the opposite. If anything, I wouldn't mind it being more purple. Beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran