Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain pen users - what kind of paper??

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Also, there is the ever popular Moleskines, of which there is a thread as well.

Personally, I like to write on 100% cotton paper of which Crane is arguably the best. Most of my stationary is Crane.

Some papers absorb too much ink and lack a finish, so the ink spreads, or feathers, as if you’ve touched the tip of your pen to a paper towel.

Some papers have too much of a finish and not enough of the ink is absorbed, so the ink pools, globs, and is generally pushed along by your nib.

Crane seems to balance this nicely, with a smooth finish without too much grit or too smooth a finish to cause pooling.

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed!

Hemingway Jones said:

Personally, I like to write on 100% cotton paper of which Crane is arguably the best. Most of my stationary is Crane.

Some papers absorb too much ink and lack a finish, so the ink spreads, or feathers, as if you’ve touched the tip of your pen to a paper towel.

Some papers have too much of a finish and not enough of the ink is absorbed, so the ink pools, globs, and is generally pushed along by your nib.

Crane seems to balance this nicely, with a smooth finish without too much grit or too smooth a finish to cause pooling.

I agree completely with Hemingway here.I sold stationary in the late 80's for a major office supply house and Crane has always been a top brand.The paper is expensive but worth every penny.The weight and composition of the paper make all the difference.Even #20 paper from either cotton or pulp can make delightful writing paper.I use Crane exclusively for letters .And i only use fountain pens.At work,home or office.
The ink makes as big a difference as well.This is where the fun begins as it is a joy trying new inks and papers together in that effort to find the "perfect balance".For me, Crane cotton eggshell white with either Waterman brown or Private Reserve Chocolat have become my usual.No feathering or flaring.I alternate with occasional higher grade copy paper,usually from Hammermill(better pulp in my opinion) when i want to write with less expensive paper.

Just my thoughts.Have fun experimenting!!!

Jim in Vancouver,Wa

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
Hemingway Jones said:

Unless they've improved the quality of their paper in the last couple of years, I've found that the Moleskine's are not fountain pen friendly. They feather quite badly.

EdinLA44

Familiar Face
I've had great results with Crane papers, especially their correspondence cards. Another one I like quite well is Clairefontaine. Their bound notebooks are wonderful. Their paper has a rolled finish so it's quite smooth and if you have a slow drying ink, it can be frustrating, but it's so smooth to write on it's like writing on glass. Other fountain pen friendly papers are Rhodia and G. Lalo. Montblanc makes a very nice paper called Meisterb?ºtten, which is hand made in, I believe, Chezoslovakia. It's expensive though.

Some good sources for paper are Pendemonium and Swisher Pens.

http://pendemonium.com/

http://www.swisherpens.com/

moustache

Practically Family
Indeed!

EdinLA44 said:
Unless they've improved the quality of their paper in the last couple of years, I've found that the Moleskine's are not fountain pen friendly. They feather quite badly.

I have three Moleskines and they all do exactly that:feather badly.I have had them for 3 years.Hopefully the quality has improved.
A delight with ball points and rollerballs though :)

JD

Polyhistor

Familiar Face
I have found that the paper of cheap stationery products sold at discount shops is actually better than that of some name-brand products. Might be different elsewhere, though...

You can´t go wrong with Clairefontaine, it´s just kind of pricey for poor college students! :) And I´ve heard of people who consider it even too smooth and have experienced skipping in connection with nibs that tend to be very dry and smooth either.

Regards, A.

BTW - GregNYC, what pen(s) are you using?

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
moustache said:
I have three Moleskines and they all do exactly that:feather badly.I have had them for 3 years.Hopefully the quality has improved.
A delight with ball points and rollerballs though :)

JD

I bought my first Moleskines a couple of weeks ago, and I don't have any problems with feathering in any of them. Either they have changed the paper, or it's the ink itself on that particular paper. I'm using Noodler's Black ink in the Moleskine lined pocket reporter and pocket cahier notebooks (lined, squared, and unlined might use different finishes, but I'm not sure.)

-Jake

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

I have never had a Moleskine feather. They do, however, pool quite a bit and I almost feel that my nib becomes a trowel pushing the ink along. I have had great success with medium nibs, but it requires a light touch. Certainly, a fine nib would be preferred.

Here is a photo from another thread of my actual writing with a medium nib in two Moleskines: an unlined and a lined:

moustache

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I have never had a Moleskine feather. They do, however, pool quite a bit and I almost feel that my nib becomes a trowel pushing the ink along. I have had great success with medium nibs, but it requires a light touch. Certainly, a fine nib would be preferred.

Here is a photo from another thread of my actual writing with a medium nib in two Moleskines: an unlined and a lined:

They look delightful Hemingway.Moleskine must have changed the paper.I have tried many different inks on said books and never had decent results.
Nice handwriting.

JD

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:

I have noticed the heavy pooling, too. But I also found a nice trick for those like me who tend to not use the back of the pages. If you close the notebook carefully, the back of the previous page will act as a blotter on what you just wrote, and it doesn't smear or soak through.

-Jake

GregNYC

One Too Many
Polyhistor said:
BTW - GregNYC, what pen(s) are you using?

I'm using a Phileas medium with the Waterman cartridge. For fast carry-around, a Pilot Varsity. And I have some nice paper:

-Clairfontaine
-Verge de France (50% cotton I was told)
-Rhodia

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Thank you gentlemen! I have never had a compliment on my handwriting and I sincerely appreciate it. ;)

The blotting idea is a good one, though it would affect that particularly nasty tendency of mine to have everything orderly and clean. On those above, I have written on both sides of the pages.

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
Thank you gentlemen! I have never had a compliment on my handwriting and I sincerely appreciate it. ;)

The blotting idea is a good one, though it would affect that particularly nasty tendency of mine to have everything orderly and clean. On those above, I have written on both sides of the pages.

It probably is better to use both sides, since you get twice the use out of each notebook. I stopped when I was in school and using spiral bound notebooks because the wire was uncomfortable under my hand and arm.

:eek:fftopic: I still curse the teachers who forced me to "pick a hand" in the first grade (I'm ambidextrous). My handwriting with my left hand is now firmly stuck at the first grade level, and I just don't have the time to practice left handed to bring it up to the level of my right hand.

-Jake

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
I always use a fountain pen in my Moleskines with no feathering problems. I do find, however, that different inks will pool or dry differently in these books. I use a burgundy Noodler's ink in my Skyline (which writes a bit wet, anyway) and that ink takes longer to dry than any other ink I've used in that book. The Esterbrook I'm currently writing with uses Waterman Florida Blue ink which dries and writes beautifully on these pages. I also favour fine nibs, so that helps a bit, too. I find the finer the nib, the neater my handwriting!;)

moustache

Practically Family
I use a small oak roller/blotter when i write with slower drying inks.They work wonders.And for those who love vintage style aura they are a delight.
Here is the rocker blotter:

blotter1.jpg

And here is a hurried shot of the blotter next to a few of my pens to give it some size comparison.

pandb21.jpg

The rocker works wonders!!!

JD

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
My only problem with a rocker blotter is that I never have one handy when I need one! I'm usually writing in my notebooks when I'm "out in the field."

"Is that a blotter in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

moustache

Practically Family
binkmeisterRick said:
My only problem with a rocker blotter is that I never have one handy when I need one! I'm usually writing in my notebooks when I'm "out in the field."

"Is that a lotter in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"

True enough.Thats why i bought the small blotter there.Or even take a few small sheets of blotter paper and put them in your wallet like i do.Then roll with the heel of your palm.It works in a bind.

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran