Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fountain Pens: the Nib Test

I am not sure if this came up earlier, so here is the scoop. A short article referenced to one of the Sunday Los Angeles Times Magazine in December 2006 had an article called "the Beauty of Writing" which had a singular stand out piece of information.

When trying a pen for nib smoothness there is one word that combines the different angles of use: Egypt. It is not said if it should be printed, but I suspect used in 'script' AKA 'cursive" will take the nib thru all the angles to see if it is at all scratchy and in need of tweeking.

Write like an Egyptian.

Best regards and happy writing!

J.B.

Practically Family
Thanks!

John in Covina said:
...When trying a pen for nib smoothness there is one word that combines the different angles of use: Egypt. It is not said if it should be printed, but I suspect used in 'script' AKA 'cursive" will take the nib thru all the angles to see if it is at all scratchy and in need of tweeking.

Write like an Egyptian...

Fascinating! This is actually a very good thing to know!

(Now if I can just remember it until I go fountain-pen shopping again?!) :)

moustache

Practically Family
Interesting article for sure.I have a new Omas 360 that i might have nib work done on.Will have to try out a few things first.Hope to ink up tonight.

JD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot