Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frank Sinatra in 'Von Ryan's Express'

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had the opportunity to catch Sinatra's 'Von Ryan's Express' on late night TV earlier this week. It's actually the first time I've seen it all the way through for start to finish (I think!). The early parts did not seem familiar to me, so I watched intently trying to figure out if I'd seen it before.

I couldn't help but notice Sinatra's (Col. Joseph Ryan) flying suit. The first thing that struck me was that it did not appear to be a period cotton flightsuit (L1 or A4) but something more like a modern aramid material - shiny fabric surface. Also, I couldn't figure out what kind of patch he wore on the flight suit and in later scenes, his A2. It appeared to be an 8th USAAF design in a triangle (!).

Some later research revealed the patch to be the triangular 12th USAAF patch for the units in North Africa (http://www.armyaircorps.us/wwii_12th_Air_Force.cfm). This makes sense because the action takes place in Italy and there is dialogue regarding the Allies capture of Messina in August of 1943.

If anyone has seen 'Von Ryan's Express' lately and wants to comment on it's content, I'm in a Sinatra mood!

Here are some stills from my USAAF wall:
ColVonRyan.jpg

-dixon cannon

Last edited:

Kopf-Jaeger

New in Town
I have always love this film. Watched it a few times with my pop growing up. I always loved the scene where the Chaplain was dressed up as an officer and is chewing out the real German in the train station. Here is a copy of the book dated 1964 that I picked up at a yard sale waaaay back in Junior H.S.
VRE.jpg

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
One of my all time favourite war films (I'm a big Sinatra fan, anyway), along with "Kelly's Heroes", and "Where Eagles Dare". I never tire of watching any of them!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Von Ryan's Express

It's one of the first films I can recall seeing in the theater as a child. That and Goldfinger.

I couldn't help but notice Sinatra's (Col. Joseph Ryan) flying suit. The first thing that struck me was that it did not appear to be a period cotton flightsuit (L1 or A4) but something more like a modern aramid material - shiny fabric surface. -dixon cannon[/SIZE][/I]

I wonder if it may have been a sateen type material (not satin) it can have a sheen.

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I saw a sixties Navy flight suit like the one in the movie. I suspect the suit in the movie was custom made for Frank. His A-2 also? Personally, I think he should have lived at the end. Did I read somewhere, that in the book, he did survive? I loved the opening scene, where the Italians hid him from the Germans, very comical, maybe wasn't supposed to be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails