Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fred Astaire movies

suits lover

A-List Customer
Hi everybody, Fred Astaire was one of the most stylish men to have ever live, and when I see him dancing I simply can't stop watching him. In fact he among the peoples who have the most influence me for dressing vintage and in manners too. I have not see all of his movie but for the moment Bleue Skie(1946) and Shall we dance(1937) are amoung my favourite. My favourite dance of him is putting on the ritz. My question is what are your favorite movie of him or mumber he have performed ?
[video=youtube_share;IFabjc6mFk4]http://youtu.be/IFabjc6mFk4[/video]

Peregrine

New in Town
My favourite is "Carefree". Ginger Rogers shows that there's more to her than dancing and sex appeal in this one - she was a first class comic actress with a superb sense of timing too.

The entire set rotated to Fred Astaire's movements and the camera was fixed in place. Today CGI would be used for a scene like that.

[video=youtube;i0g3g6AvLtM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0g3g6AvLtM[/video]

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Gosh, that’s a tough question as I haven’t seen all of his films yet!
I love Holiday Inn, but at the same time I don’t… only because it makes me not like Fred’s character (and how can you not like Fred Astaire, not possible, is it?)! I guess it’s because I’m also in LOVE with Bing, and naturally I don’t like how Fred keeps on trying to take away Bing’s love interests!:eek:

[video=youtube_share;JAwoRHuxLq8]http://youtu.be/JAwoRHuxLq8[/video]
I'd say that this song from the film sums up the struggle perfectly!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I loved the solo dance he did in Swing Time as Bojangles of Harlem. I also adore the Shorty George number with Rita Hayworth in You Were Never Lovelier.

Also, although he didn't dance in the scene, when he sang They Can't Take That Away From Me in Shall We Dance was beautiful!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think "Swing Time" is a high point of thirties culture -- especially "The Way You Look Tonight," which may be the finest popular song of the decade, and Astaire's performance is definitive. His singing doesn't always get the credit it deserves, but he was a sublime vocalist.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I think "Swing Time" is a high point of thirties culture -- especially "The Way You Look Tonight," which may be the finest popular song of the decade, and Astaire's performance is definitive. His singing doesn't always get the credit it deserves, but he was a sublime vocalist.

Totally agree. I love the Astaire and Roger's movies and "Swing Time" really stands out, particularly for that scene.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab

All of the songs in that movie were fantastic. Its hard to believe that was their least popular picture to date when it was released.

I just picked up an original print of the sheet music for Swing Time. I can't read music at all, but its still a great piece of memorobilia.

suits lover

A-List Customer
Gosh, that’s a tough question as I haven’t seen all of his films yet!
I love Holiday Inn, but at the same time I don’t… only because it makes me not like Fred’s character (and how can you not like Fred Astaire, not possible, is it?)! I guess it’s because I’m also in LOVE with Bing, and naturally I don’t like how Fred keeps on trying to take away Bing’s love interests!:eek:

[video=youtube_share;JAwoRHuxLq8]http://youtu.be/JAwoRHuxLq8[/video]
I'd say that this song from the film sums up the struggle perfectly!

I have Holiday Inn on Dvd in color and I don't how many time I have watch it. I simply love this movie. Indeed me too I don't see how can someone not like Fred Astaire;) Poor Bing have a tought time in Holliday Inn:D

Last edited:

suits lover

A-List Customer
I loved the solo dance he did in Swing Time as Bojangles of Harlem. I also adore the Shorty George number with Rita Hayworth in You Were Never Lovelier.

Also, although he didn't dance in the scene, when he sang They Can't Take That Away From Me in Shall We Dance was beautiful!

Same for me. No one Can Take That Away From Me !

suits lover

A-List Customer

This is so true that is singing has not alway get the credit it should have. I love his singing as much as Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby.

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
[video=youtube_share;k72XIuUIxYE]http://youtu.be/k72XIuUIxYE[/video]
You were never lovelier- I love this song..... and what about Rita's Dress!!!

From “The Picturegoer Who’s Who and Encyclopaedia”

ASTAIRE, Adele and Fred. B. in Omaha, Nebraska, on September 10, 1898, and May 10, 1900, respectively, of Frederick E. Astaire and Ann Geilus.

Made their debut in vaudeville in New York in 1912. Toured in Vaudeville; made their first London appearance in 1923 in stop flirting. Have since appeared in London in Lady Be Good, Funny Face; exceedingly popular here and in New York; made a two-reel Vitaphone Short in 1931 but neither of them have yet taken up the screen seriously. Adele married Lord Charles Cavendish in 1931.

I like the "yet to take up the screen seriously" bit. No, that Fred Astaire didn't make many films, did he;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot