Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

From the Hills of Beverly -- Jack Taylor

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Good for you!:eusa_clap
Really looking forward to reading the whole story in the first issue!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Matt Deckard said:
Jack is into the slimming effect. pockets horozontal and up front. No pleats. Very trim legs.

Think about it. Many of Jack's clients are so rich, they don't drive their own cars: their chauffeurs do. Hence, no need for car keys in their pockets.

Wallets? You'd be surprised at how many very rich men don't carry them. They use slim checkbook covers with one or two credit cards and an I.D.
The checkbook covers sit in their owners' breast pocket.

In short, objects don't go into their trousers' pockets.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
MK said:
...When Matt and I left Jack's place we stopped by Brooks Brothers and Ralph Lauren on Rodeo Drive. Usually I feel a little out of place and slightly intimidated going into a place that has the rich & famous as their daily customers. Not this time. I knew I looked like a million bucks and probably the best dressed man there. I could see some of the salesman trying to figure out which suit I was wearing. Most just had that curious expression. One guy at RL ask me, "is that one of the new Brooks Brothers?" I said no, that Jack Taylor made this for me. I enjoyed that confidence.:D
And that is the value that one purchases with a finely crafted suit!:eusa_clap
Feeling like a million bucks... Priceless! ;)

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Matt Deckard said:
I know.

I just like putting my hands in my pockets.

I'm quite sure that Mr. Taylor is one of the preeminent craftsmen of his trade, but frankly I did a bit of a double take when he pitched his preferred pants style.

Almost as big a take as when he asked me which one hung lower.

At first I thought he was talking about the gentleman who was measuring me and I answered that I had never met him before, but when I finally did understand what Mr. Taylor was asking about and I didn't have an immediate answer I half expected him to ask me to look to the right and cough.

Anyhow, obviously a properly constructed pair of flat front pants can look very nice, but the whole slit pockets thing really threw me.

As you said, for one thing you can't put your hand in your pocket and assume that dashing 3/4 pose.

I've also heard that in some circles, this is considered rather rude behavior, but hey its a free country after all.;)

But to me the combination of flat front, slit pockets and no cuffs makes the pants look like they belong to, well... a leisure suit. :eek:

I really look forward to seeing MK's suit, complete with perfectly pleated pants in the premiere issue of Classic Style.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In the business world, putting your hands in your pockets is body language saying, "I am hiding something." It's not so much rude as devious! This is what they taught in my Business Etiquette class when I was in the Management Trainee program.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ah but in the jacket pockets... I don't know if those are included in the ban, but it looks "at home in my own skin." to me. Denotes comfort with that level of attire, rather than "this here's m'soot. Dowanna muss it. (can't wait to change)"

novalis

New in Town
Ghos7a55assin said:
And what, pray tell, is the style preference? 3-piece SB with peaks? DB 6x2? Belted back?

Mr. Taylor's preferred style is single button SB peaked lapels and natural shoulder. Alan Flusser describes his style as "British-inspired, with narrow shoulders, shaped torso, slant pockets, and deep vents". I found that description to be quite accurate when I visited.

However, interestingly enough, the house cut may have evolved over time. I spoke with a bespoke tailor in DC who described working on some older Taylor suits (perhaps from the 80s) with set-in or structured shoulders for a client.

novalis

New in Town
Robert Conway said:
Almost as big a take as when he asked me which one hung lower.

I really look forward to seeing MK's suit, complete with perfectly pleated pants in the premiere issue of Classic Style.

Well, I haven't come across that particular question but a variation. When a fitter measures you for your trousers, he'll ask "which way do you dress?" (e.g. left or right), which is a slightly different question :eek: Or in lieu of that, he'll measure your inseam from ankle to crotch, so be prepared for a quick measurement in that area!

novalis

New in Town
Tomasso said:
Jack Taylor is not a tailor, he's a fitter, a master fitter. He is known to have a great EYE, but he doesn't cut or sew.

That said, you'll walk out of Jack Taylor's shop with a great suit.

Agreed, Mr. Taylor mentioned to me that he doesn't do any of the sewing currently (obviously at his age) or in the past. However, Taylor's head tailor and cutter definitely knows the craft of cutting patterns and putting together suits.

AFAIK, there are only 2 true, bespoke tailors in the LA area. Jack Taylor and Giacomo Trabalza on La Cienega. Anybody else know of others?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
A look at the finished product

MK_jack_suit1sm.jpg

Read all about it in the premiere issue of Classic Style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany