Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Frustration with necklines

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yet another reason why I don't wear modern clothes. I wear (on top) a bra, slip if dress is unlined and then even sometimes if it is, dress, and maybe a button-up sweater left unbuttoned. That's enough layers. Cleavage is for a cocktail dress, so no sweater. That's when I like to show some skin. :)
Just last night we were discussing how much unattractive cleavage we've been seeing on some library patrons lately. Put 'em away if you're not going to use 'em.

Renee

Familiar Face
BegintheBeguine said:
Cleavage is for a cocktail dress, so no sweater. ... That's when I like to show some skin. :)

Yes, I always thought cleavage was okay/appropriate for evening wear, but not for daytime. I'm 42, so not a "gay young thing" but not too terribly ancient, either. :p

SarahLouise

Practically Family
ShortClara said:
I think the sheer cotton camis/ tees are an effective way to make more money. You HAVE to buy 2 or 3 to make "the look" instead of just one garment. Genius really.

And I do agree there's a time and place for the really low V, but it does take a medium to small bust to look good in it I think. The smaller the book, the less hookerey it can be. The crazy necklines just make it harder to find everyday dresses. :(

I agree. I have a large bust and find most tops far too revealing and I'd rather people talk to my face, not my cleavage! It's not just limited to tops either, I find that most modern dresses and even shirts are getting lower and lower.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yeah, and forgetabout finding an oxford that fits around your NECK! What if I wanna wear a scarf? You are swimming in a loose collar :rage:
Unless you order from Lands End, which I have done :rolleyes:

LD

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I don't have a large bust, but I'm not completely flat either, so I can get away with lower necklines usually. However, my favorite form of the low neckline is when it's paired with a high, but non-turtleneck, (like those Chinese dresses, I forget the name!) or up-turned collar on a button-down blouse.

The only reason why I sometimes get self-conscious with low necklines though is because my breast bone protrudes from my chest a lot! I call it my third boob. ;) Just another weird quirk from my double-jointed craziness.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I've been getting really frustrated by the low necklines as well, seeing as I'm trying to find clothes to wear in an office environment (always having worked in retail, the uniforms always solved that problem for me).

It's more annoying as I've recently put on weight and my bust has gone from an A cup to a C, so now I can't quite look professional in anything low cut. :(

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Renee said:
I do, too ... but I'm not sure an office situation (or in my case, working at a public libary) is the appropriate place for a low "sexy" neckline.

The problem I'm having with so many of the new offerings is that exceptionally low necklines seem to be standard. It's not something found just in "evening wear", it's in the common t-shirt offerings.

And while I realize that layering is in style, most of the layering camis I've found are just as low-cut as the shirts I'm supposed to layer them under. I did find a "modesty" site which offered higher-cut camisoles, but they were exceptionally long to cover the skin exposed by low-cut jeans. ~sigh~

For me, I never layer a low cut top, but then again, I'm petite ( 30C, yes, that is a bra size!) so I think I can get away since my bust is not large. I actually love low cut necklines, they make me feel sexy and fine, as do short dresses and shorts ( I loved the past seasons retrograde to the 1960's mini baby doll dresses).

There are a lot of companies that may low cut tops, but they generally target a young audiance that wants a very sexy look. If I were you, I would check out some companies that tend to be on the more traditional side. I am a huge fan of Jcrew basics. They cut their stuff to fit, but most of it is not overly sexy.

LL Bean, Talbots, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic and of coarse Brooks Brothers offer more traditional lines that are not going to be as sexy.

You might also want to try Gap Body.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
TheKitschGoth said:
It's more annoying as I've recently put on weight and my bust has gone from an A cup to a C, so now I can't quite look professional in anything low cut. :(

Ohhh, I went through that at the beginning of this year when I tried a new birth control...I went from a B to a C in two months!! It wouldn't have been bad if I had gained weight elsewhere, but eek! I couldn't wear button-up blouses or anything low-cut, not only because I felt self-concious, but because nothing would stay in place!! I didn't want to be one of those girls who walks around exploding out of her top all day. I'm back to my normal B again (after shrinking to an A for a while), thank goodness.

Adele

One of the Regulars
I personally think I look better with tops that are not so low in regards to the necklines, so between that and just being a picky shopper to begin with, I haven't had much luck in the shopping department (and oh boy, could I use some new clothes!).

I have to say that I will give A&F credit for the way they cut their shirts. In the days when I used to wear their tops, I always liked how it wasn't straight-line, but rather curved (I'm talking about the sides of the shirt). I don't know if I'm making much sense here, really.

Nashoba

One Too Many
I did a stupid thing over the weekend and forgot to bring enough clothes to wear when I went to Atl. So Saturday night found me going to every single store in my square (my little area of atlanta that I know I won't get lost in) trying to find something to wear to work Sunday morning. I was so througoughly frustrated after almost 2 hours of searching I thought I was going to have a breakdown. I ended up finding a decent blouse at walmart of all places but finding a skirt was ridiculous! everything was too short or too low waisted. I ended up with at $40 skirt from the gap that still didn't fit quite right. I felt self-concious the whole danged day and kept pulling the skirt back down. I bought a size 4 and it was too big in the waist and snug in the hips. Sadly I'll probably never wear it again. sigh. serves me right for not paying attention when I packed.

Sunny

One Too Many
*mutters* How did I miss this thread earlier?

I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like how ubiquitous these low necklines are. The right time and place is one thing, but as an everyday thing, no. I'm fascinated by the variety in actual vintage styles. I wish designers would get a clue and realize that no, a wrap top does not have to cross at the cleavage.

I've had a problem with "cover-up" camisoles being too low to cover up. I'm not huge (32 C/D!) but I've never found one that I've been comfortable in. And expensive - wow! It adds up fast.

Maybe it's just 'cause I'm from Texas and it's HOT here (usually) from May into October, but layering is honestly one of the stupidest fashions for summer wear. I do not want to have to wear any extra layers under my clothes for them to be decent. The coolest ethnic summer wear is long, loose, flowing, and lightweight but not sheer; layering tight, thick-knit super-stretchy tops are about as far from the ideal as I can imagine.

Martina

One of the Regulars
I agree totally about the low neckline comments! Being big busted myself, I think that popping out of my shirts not only looks trashy but sloppy as well. I've found that some of the REAL vintage camis are perfect for covering up! I have a flesh colored one that fits like a dream, so any revealing simply shows a cami. I think the trick was finding one to closely match my natural skin color; that way it doesn't stand out too much.

For dresses, I would highly suggest REAL vintags slips! They cover the bust area extremely well, keeping all your 'treasures' out of sight and almost all of them have the most gorgeous lacy necklines! You really need a color to match your dress though, for it not to stand out if the dress neckline shifts.

My hope is in the Fall/Winter fashions. I'm hoping that the designers will lengthen the shirts a bit, if for no other reason than concern about bellybutton frostbite! ;)

timorous me

Familiar Face
well agreed ladies, well agreed.

But... I think lots of modern clothes are cheap and trashy anyway. Which is why I wear vintage.

But on the occasion that I DO wear a modern top (say, in the winter, which here in Maine is the best eight months of the year) they seem so thin and low! Now it's not an issue of me showing inappropriate cleavage (see my "wiggle dress woes" thread) - if my shirt is too low you can look straight down it and all you're gonna see is my belly button. :)

Plus the shirts always seem so SHORT! So in addition to mounds of heaving bosom, if you add a pair of tight pants you're seeing mad muffin top as well. Gross.

And what about that awkward gap at the waist of modern low-waisted pants? Anyone know what I'm talking about??

Martina

One of the Regulars
timorous me said:
well agreed ladies, well agreed.

But... I think lots of modern clothes are cheap and trashy anyway. Which is why I wear vintage.

But on the occasion that I DO wear a modern top (say, in the winter, which here in Maine is the best eight months of the year) they seem so thin and low! Now it's not an issue of me showing inappropriate cleavage (see my "wiggle dress woes" thread) - if my shirt is too low you can look straight down it and all you're gonna see is my belly button. :)

Plus the shirts always seem so SHORT! So in addition to mounds of heaving bosom, if you add a pair of tight pants you're seeing mad muffin top as well. Gross.

And what about that awkward gap at the waist of modern low-waisted pants? Anyone know what I'm talking about??

I most definitely know what you mean!!
That awkward gap at the waist comes from having a shapely body and is absolutely nothing to be ashamed of! Most of today's low-waisted pants are shaped like men's pants, straight up and down. I remember total frustration and embarrasment when I was young because I couldn't wear a pair of boy's Levis, for the same reason you are stating! If I bought them to fit my hips they were huge on my waist. If I bought them to fit at my waist, I couldn't pull them up over my derriere!

The trick is, if you really want to wear the lower waisted pants, to find a brand name that is a little more shapely! Penny's has some very shapely lower waisted pants in their women's department (not the same as the junior department). I got a pair of white linen capris there, which were low waisted but not so low to be disgusting, and they fit like a dream! I got a black cotton pair of cargo type capris also, and they have small sliding belt pulls on each side of the waist, so I can pull the waist in for an exact fit.

nicoline

New in Town
i have a huge problem with this, my 'girls' are on the large side especially for my frame (34dd, try finding a sexy bra in that size) so in anything low cut i'm constantly afraid i'm gonna pop out(my bf loves it...). even in tops with higher necklines my goodies still look like they're about to bust out, any top that isnt tight on my girls makes me look ten pounds heavier.
on a side note my sister loves the layering thing. she wears at least three layers at all times, and in winter occasionally gets up to 6 or 7 layers, no joke. i dont really get it.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy