Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: ‘The Cutters’ Practical Guide to Ladies’ Tailoring, 10th edition’

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
This excellent book will be going to EBay in the near future unless any FL members wish to make me an offer beforehand?

This is a hardback copy of ‘The Cutters’ Practical Guide to Ladies’ Tailoring, 10th edition’, written by WDF Vincent and published by The John Williamson Company Ltd. in London. The book comprises 164 pp. and prelims. Profusely illustrated with line drawings, period photographs and cutting plans. It has been well used (I bought it together with some of the Tailor and Cutters' guide to gentlemen's clothing from my tailor when he retired) and so there is some wear to binding and edges, some light foxing to pages is evident, but this does not detract from this fine book.

There is a very evocative entry detailing the contents of an earlier example of this excellent resource at http://ubiquitousingenious.blogspot.com/

Please P.M. me if interested.
Ian

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Update to book details

Hi Lauren
Thanks for your reply. I refrained from putting a date on it as there was no direct evidence in the foreword, publisher's notes, etc. However, with careful examination (based on the hairstyles, skirt lengths, bicycle and motorcycle designs (!) and the fact that there are designs for female degree gowns in the book) I'm going to go for post war/early 1920s.

I have also just come across another book 'Ladies Garment Cutting and Making. A Standard Textbook giving instruction in all branches of ladies' garment cutting, dress cutting, modelling, and practical tailoring' 3rd edition, by F R Morris (diagrams and fashion illustrattion by Leonora Curry). The New Era Publishing Co. Ltd. 45 New Oxford Street London WC1. xx1 prelims and 471 pp. A much larger book (ca. A4) and in better overall condition, light foxing, tight binding. It has my old tailor's name and address in the front papers. Again, it's undated, but I'm more confident that it's probably from the late 1930s (there are photographs and several models have hairstyles very similar to your own in your Avartar, with rolled profile).

I shall try and upload some photographs.
Cheers
Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran