Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FS: Mid-Late 1940s Shanhouse Brown Horsehide Half-Belt

AHP91

Practically Family
1714077797441.png
Up for grabs is this mid-late 1940s Shanhouse of Rockford Illinois brown horsehide half-belt leather jacket. Quite a rare find in this size and condition. This is also garnering interest on eBay so get it here cheaper - $375 shipped in the continental U.S., PayPal Friends and Family only.

History:

Shanhouse, or W. Shanhouse and Sons, was founded in 1897 in Rockford, Illinois by William, Charles and Harry Shanhouse. This company produced high quality leather goods and garments for over 70 years.

Not much is known about the company's early beginnings, but bits and pieces of information can be obtained throughout many decades of newspaper articles and advertisements. What is known, however, is that they produced some extremely well-made leather jackets for many decades.

This jacket:

This jacket can be accurately dated to the mid-late 1940's based on the Talon main zipper and the Talon branded stopbox. It's quite difficult to find appropriately sized and good condition jackets from this golden era of leather garments. This beautiful half-belt is a rare example of just this.

Proudly boasting the "front quarter horsehide label", this jacket is quite something to behold. A classic 1940's era pattern and fit, the leather and details on this jacket are truly remarkable. In hand, the high quality leather is quite substantial and still has a little bit of that great vintage horsehide squeak to it. Just a perfect example of 1940's workwear clothing.

All original heavier duty twill type lining and hardware remain in good condition. There is a bit of fraying at the main zipper which should easily be mendable at home or by a professional. All heavy duty pockets remain intact. Stitching feel good and strong, and the leather has no significant damage whatsoever. Probably a single stitch or two loose underneath the collar. As is the nature of this color of jacket and it’s age, there is some very minor wear/staining in the upper arm area. Hardly noticeable, quite honestly. This jacket does have shoulder pads.

I did not find a remaining size tag on this jacket, but my best guess is that this fits a true size 40. However, please refer to the measurements below -

Armpit to armpit: 21.25”

Shoulder to shoulder: 18.9"

Length from bottom of collar down: 27.6”

Front drop: .8”

Sleeve length taken straight from shoulder seam: 25.25”

Please note that I do my best to exhibit the jacket as you will receive it. If you have any questions as to the condition of size of this piece, please do not hesitate to reach out to me first.

While the condition of this jacket is overall good for its age, this is a true vintage workwear piece and minor spots should be expected. This jacket will be quickly shipped via USPS upon payment.

Please note that I am not a professional clothier, but I do have a good amount of experience in mid-twentieth century motorcycle and civilian leather jackets. The opinions written are my best educational guesses given a substantial amount of experience and handling of the matter.

These jackets are getting more difficult to find with each passing day; don’t miss out on your chance at this incredible piece of early mid-century American history.

1714077793420.png

1714077812084.png

1714077830586.png

1714077841004.png

1714077849846.png

1714077859278.png

1714077865923.png

AHP91

Practically Family
View attachment 609464 Up for grabs is this mid-late 1940s Shanhouse of Rockford Illinois brown horsehide half-belt leather jacket. Quite a rare find in this size and condition. This is also garnering interest on eBay so get it here cheaper - $375 shipped in the continental U.S., PayPal Friends and Family only.

History:

Shanhouse, or W. Shanhouse and Sons, was founded in 1897 in Rockford, Illinois by William, Charles and Harry Shanhouse. This company produced high quality leather goods and garments for over 70 years.

Not much is known about the company's early beginnings, but bits and pieces of information can be obtained throughout many decades of newspaper articles and advertisements. What is known, however, is that they produced some extremely well-made leather jackets for many decades.

This jacket:

This jacket can be accurately dated to the mid-late 1940's based on the Talon main zipper and the Talon branded stopbox. It's quite difficult to find appropriately sized and good condition jackets from this golden era of leather garments. This beautiful half-belt is a rare example of just this.

Proudly boasting the "front quarter horsehide label", this jacket is quite something to behold. A classic 1940's era pattern and fit, the leather and details on this jacket are truly remarkable. In hand, the high quality leather is quite substantial and still has a little bit of that great vintage horsehide squeak to it. Just a perfect example of 1940's workwear clothing.

All original heavier duty twill type lining and hardware remain in good condition. There is a bit of fraying at the main zipper which should easily be mendable at home or by a professional. All heavy duty pockets remain intact. Stitching feel good and strong, and the leather has no significant damage whatsoever. Probably a single stitch or two loose underneath the collar. As is the nature of this color of jacket and it’s age, there is some very minor wear/staining in the upper arm area. Hardly noticeable, quite honestly. This jacket does have shoulder pads.

I did not find a remaining size tag on this jacket, but my best guess is that this fits a true size 40. However, please refer to the measurements below -

Armpit to armpit: 21.25”

Shoulder to shoulder: 18.9"

Length from bottom of collar down: 27.6”

Front drop: .8”

Sleeve length taken straight from shoulder seam: 25.25”

Please note that I do my best to exhibit the jacket as you will receive it. If you have any questions as to the condition of size of this piece, please do not hesitate to reach out to me first.

While the condition of this jacket is overall good for its age, this is a true vintage workwear piece and minor spots should be expected. This jacket will be quickly shipped via USPS upon payment.

Please note that I am not a professional clothier, but I do have a good amount of experience in mid-twentieth century motorcycle and civilian leather jackets. The opinions written are my best educational guesses given a substantial amount of experience and handling of the matter.

These jackets are getting more difficult to find with each passing day; don’t miss out on your chance at this incredible piece of early mid-century American history.

View attachment 609463

View attachment 609465

View attachment 609466

View attachment 609467

View attachment 609468

View attachment 609469

View attachment 609470
1714077896936.png

1714077903992.png

1714077912495.png

1714077920050.png

1714077927095.png