Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Funniest scenes in cinema history

Haversack

One Too Many
Slim Pickens, the former rodeo clown, making like Munchhausen at the end of _Dr. Strangelove_.

And speaking those immortal words to Dom DeLuise in _Blazing Saddles_: "Pssi on you. I'm working for Mel Brooks!"

Haversack.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Nearly every scene from "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" with Jacques Tati, from the late 40's or early 50's. Funiest comedy movie I've ever seen. TCM runs it every once in a while and I still double over with laughter even after about 50 years of watching it. I first saw it in, I think, the early-mid 50's. It's in French with sub-titles, but there is so little dialogue, you don't need them. It's mostly visual; such as the old English couple at the end of each day, getting up from their chairs in the hotel lounge, walking to the porch, putting up two big black English umbrellas, walking down to the seashore, staring at the sea a moment, then back to the porch, down with the umbrellas and back into the same chairs in the lounge. And the same scene at the end of the next day, etc.etc. And Mr. Hulot's car - it's one of those ugly tin can type Citroen's that belches smoke with every start - usually on several of the other guests. Or the scene where the car gets caught to the back bumper of the bus taking the hotel guests on a picnic, with Mr. Hulot (Jacques Tati) running behind it trying to catch up.....(Tati was something like 6'7" or thereabouts, so he towers above all the other players).

Bill Taylor

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Last Supper in the film M*A*S*H absolutely killed me, especially with the "this is what we reward our finest medals for..." speech.

Almost every moment in Hot Shots with Lloyd Bridges, especially the "crabs always work in pairs" line

In Casablanca, when the young couple tells the captain that they'll be at his office at 8am and the captain says "Good! I'll be there at ten."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
FYI, We are now equipped with a YouTube embedding feature...Use it! ;)

[YOUTUBE]8_RKPGS2vwM[/YOUTUBE]

Levallois

Practically Family
The Thin Man movies crack me up - so many great comic scenes. For example,

Nicky are you asleep. Yes. Good, because I want to talk to you.

Nicky there's a man here to see you. (From under the covers of his bed and after Nora woke him up earlier after a long night) Good, for a minute there I though that I was going to have to go to sleep.

Policeman questioning Nick and Nora in their bedroom and after finding a gun in Nora's drawers (another great line) Have you heard of the Sullivan Act? To which Nora replies, that's alright, we're married.

Illiterate people will misspell certain words a certain way. To which Polly, a singer, replies; what you mean illiterate? My parent were married right here in the New York courthouse.

Nora says, they say you were shot five times in the Tabloids. To which Nick replies, he came no where near my tabloids.

It just goes on and on.

I'm with Lily Powers, the Thin Man series would be my choice for that desert island as well.

John

Levallois

Practically Family
Geronimo - thanks, I completely forgot about "The Awful Truth" - terrific comedy - Irene Dunne was a perfect match to Cary in that movie.

And it reminded me of one of my all time favorites - Bringing Up Baby." So many terrific scenes:
- In the golf course paking lot with Kate Hepburn taking Cary's car.
- In the bar, with the olives, missing purse and torn dress.
- At the country estate with missing clothes, George burying the dino bone, and, of course, the leopard, Baby.
- At the police station with "the leopard gang."

Wonderful!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
For me one of the best comedy moments ever is that hilarious sequence in Harry Langdon's "The Strong Man" (1927) ....in which "Harry, with his tradicional baby-faced innocent guise, is suffering from a vicious cold and sniffs, swallow pills, sneezes, drinks medicine and smothers his chest with a mustard plaster and lashings of vapor rub ( which gets mixed up with some highly pungent cheese)...all aboard a bus :eek: lol to the extreme discomfort of his neighbors" !!!!

I always fast forward my DVD to that scene .... Langdon was a genius :D

Talbot

One Too Many
Bill Taylor said:
Nearly every scene from "Mr. Hulot's Holiday" with Jacques Tati, from the late 40's or early 50's. Funiest comedy movie I've ever seen. TCM runs it every once in a while and I still double over with laughter even after about 50 years of watching it. I first saw it in, I think, the early-mid 50's. It's in French with sub-titles, but there is so little dialogue, you don't need them. It's mostly visual; such as the old English couple at the end of each day, getting up from their chairs in the hotel lounge, walking to the porch, putting up two big black English umbrellas, walking down to the seashore, staring at the sea a moment, then back to the porch, down with the umbrellas and back into the same chairs in the lounge. And the same scene at the end of the next day, etc.etc. And Mr. Hulot's car - it's one of those ugly tin can type Citroen's that belches smoke with every start - usually on several of the other guests. Or the scene where the car gets caught to the back bumper of the bus taking the hotel guests on a picnic, with Mr. Hulot (Jacques Tati) running behind it trying to catch up.....(Tati was something like 6'7" or thereabouts, so he towers above all the other players).

Bill Taylor

Not to mention the flat tire at the funeral ceremony!

Many Tati lovers here. I'd love to get my hands on the original French release. Some 30 min was cut from it for release outside France:mad: .

You don't have a copy showing a scene where he has difficulty with a deck chair do you?

Lensmaster

One of the Regulars
There are so many scenes in What's Up Doc? It's the last great slapstick comedy. It's Barbara Striesands best role. And Madeline Kahn is hilarious in her first movie role.

guellimus

New in Town
The scene in the Three Stooges short, Men in Black (1934) where they operate on Dr. Graves, the superintident, always leaves me rolling around on the floor (I almost said in stitches, then realized it would have been a terrible pun).

Also, I don't think the scene in Back to the Future where Marty's mom comments on his Calvin Klein underwear will ever be not funny. I've grown up with that movie and cannot stop laughing. Every time.

Edward

Bartender
Lensmaster said:
There are so many scenes in What's Up Doc? It's the last great slapstick comedy. It's Barbara Striesands best role. And Madeline Kahn is hilarious in her first movie role.

That is the one with the car chase and the two guys with the large sheet of glass trying not to have it broken? I liked that scene a lot.

scotrace said:
"We'll take foreplay as read, all right my dear?"

Even funnier, if you ever get the chance, is listening to dear Patricia Quinn (best known for her creation of the role of Magenta in The Rocky Horror Show and the subsequent film version thereof) give her version of the story of filming that scene and how the Pythons delicately approached her with the suggestion that she should end up naked...

There are a lot of things in films that have made me laugh out loud - Edward Blake, AKA The Comedian, being revealed as the true assassin of JFK (Watchmen) was hilarious. One of the all-time classics, though, comes from a decade of which I'm not much of a fan at all - the 1980s:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7IZZXQ89Oc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F7IZZXQ89Oc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24