Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 55j14 by Star Sportswear – civilian?

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Just bought a 1950s Star Sportswear G-1 which looks to be private purchase. The label is gold on black but about a third the size of a military label. States G-1 Flight Jacket Star Sportswear Lynn, Mass and a contract number but this is not a military code. I cannot remember the number but will check tonight. The jacket is identical to a military issue except that it is not stamped underneath the collar and has a small tooth blackened zip with rectangular Talon marked puller and plain stopper box which is all original to the jacket. Everything else is exactly the same as the mil spec (single entry pockets, pencil slot, inner map pocket, under collar button tab etc.).

The condition is near mint (perfect mouton fairly pointed short collar) and the goatskin is slightly thinner than the other issue jackets I have. Knits are perfect and correct bi-weave waistband.

It is a large size (fits like a 46) but the label doesn’t state a size. Printed or written underneath it says size 44. Rayon liner is brown but looks slightly lighter shade to mil spec

Are these civilian mil spec/private purchase jackets quite common? I have not come across one before.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
IIRC, Star G-1s were always oversized, military contract or not.

In fact any surplus or overruns probably would have been relabeled in those days - probably would have said G-1, with no other spec data.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner