Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G-1 and M422As

Brettafett

One Too Many
Hi guys,

I was wondering. I have not owned G-1s or M422As before, always had A-2s. Tried on a Cockpit G-1 today.
My question is about the waist knit.
As they generally have single weave waist knits, are they always so loose and floppy around the waist? (assuming normal waist line ;-)
I assume originals are the same...
Perhaps its just me, being used to tight A-2 knits, but this particular (new) jacket's waist knit seems so loose in comparison.
Enough so to make me reconsider purchasing one as it feels so weird....?
Thoughts please....

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,

I was wondering. I have not owned G-1s or M422As before, always had A-2s. Tried on a Cockpit G-1 today.
My question is about the waist knit.
As they generally have single weave waist knits, are they always so loose and floppy around the waist? (assuming normal waist line ;-)
I assume originals are the same...
Perhaps its just me, being used to tight A-2 knits, but this particular (new) jacket's waist knit seems so loose in comparison.
Enough so to make me reconsider purchasing one as it feels so weird....?
Thoughts please....
M-422s, M-422As and older series G-1s did have a single ply waist band which tended to lose elasticity with age. But these jackets are also cut more closely in the torso than is the A-2. So perhaps a loose waist band in a G-1 wouldn’t be as much of an issue as it would be in another style jacket.

AF

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Some contracts did have the A2 style waist knits, eg the Bogen & Tanenbaum an6552. There's a couple more... I know John Chapman makes a Bogen, but it'll come at a hefty price. Keep an eye on the vintage market. USN flights seem to fetch about 1/3 or less of the price of a vintage a2.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I believe recalling the reason for loose fitting knits on USN jackets is in case one has to ditch the plane after landing in water. :eeek:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Nah - USN aviators can fly circles around USAF weenies. Ever see a USAF guy land on a carrier? :D

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I thought all 442, 442a and early G1s came with rib-rack waistbands? It is the best looking waist band on any jacket. I have an original, never installed WWII surplus rib-rack waistband.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Need to include USMC and USCG aviators as well. USN, USMC and USCG all wear the G-1. I still prefer the ANJ-3, which is mostly a G-1 with a goatskin collar rather than mouton. The gusseted underarms and bi-swing back of the G-1 and ANJ-3 both provide far better freedom of movement than the A-2.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Need to include USMC and USCG aviators as well. USN, USMC and USCG all wear the G-1. I still prefer the ANJ-3, which is mostly a G-1 with a goatskin collar rather than mouton. The gusseted underarms and bi-swing back of the G-1 and ANJ-3 both provide far better freedom of movement than the A-2.
As much as I love the iconic A-2, I tend to agree. I am beginning to favor comfort and practicability... And the ANJ-3 oozes style and function. But some pics of repros I have seen the leather looks very boring and flat.
So, who make he best ANJ-3 repro????

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
As much as I love the iconic A-2, I tend to agree. I am beginning to favor comfort and practicability... And the ANJ-3 oozes style and function. But some pics of repros I have seen the leather looks very boring and flat.
So, who make he best ANJ-3 repro????

When I was visiting the G&B factory a couple of years ago, their rendition of the ANJ-3 was my favorite of all of the G&B jackets. Other than the G&B ANJ-3, I have no first hand experience as to who makes the best ANJ-3 repro. [huh] Aero makes an ANJ-3, and I believe I recall Sloan saying that he tried on one while he was recently visiting the Aero factory.

Edward

Bartender
Aero have made a nice ANJ-3 in the past. I briefly owned one myself. Bought it used on eBay, but had to let it go (sold to another UK Lounger) as it was too small for me. I'm not sure how many are out there; I do recall being told it was a rare jacket. I don't think they have them in their catalogue currently, though wasn't at least one contract of the ANJ-3 basically an AN6552 without the mouton?

Otter

One Too Many
I have one of the older Aero ANJ-3's, superb jacket, it realy has developed a beautiful patina. Trouble is, I have become to big for it now! Must clean it up and get it on ebay. I found it more practical than an A-2 due to the extra movement that the bi-fold back allows.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Fanch is right, I tried on Aero's ANJ-3, and it's really nice jacket, though I have no comparison to other makers' versions: the back-collar stitching is beautifully rendered along with the throat latch, the action back works perfectly and handily it had the inside pocket - I was sorely tempted to switch, but stuck with my A-2. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen