Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

g-1 leather jacket

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
HI. What do you guys think about a 1963 foster G1, are Foster Sportswear any good? I'm mostly into A-2s but I am starting to get interested in original G-1's.

kojax

Practically Family
g-i jacket

i was looking at u.s.wings they have a new cockpit vintage goatskin g-i. i guess the fit is milterty fit......see what you people think....

SGB

One of the Regulars
kojax said:
i was looking at u.s.wings they have a new cockpit vintage goatskin g-i. i guess the fit is milterty fit......see what you people think....

Buy an original. Don't waste your money on a repro.

SGB

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Agreed. Used / vintage G-1s for some reason go for a lot less than A-2s and seem to be easier to find.

...and avoid U.S. Wings like the plague. Everything they sell is unmitigated crap.

jacketquest

Familiar Face
I'd have to agree with the others who have advised to pick up original G-1's. There's still relatively plenty available in good condition for a lot less than a premium repro. I had an ELC 55J14 G-1 a few years back. It was a very nice jacket--top quality grainy goatskin, immaculate tailoring--but somehow it was one dimensional when compared to originals. Everytime I went to the closet to pull out a Navy jacket I would invariably pick an original. So I ended up selling the ELC.

kojax

Practically Family
cockpit g-i jacket

my friend just got a cockpit vintage goatskin g-i jacket.....real nice all broke in nice brown redish collar and all the patches on it...

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I was lucky enough to find an original early 70's G-1 in my size (yes, it is a 48). I also have a LW G-1 in seal goat. Great jacket as well. With a little patience you can get what you want on e-bay or maybe a member on here or VLJ will have one for sale to help pay for another one. you could try this website : http://www.leathercoatsetc.com/detail.aspx?ID=319, they are the current supplier of jackets to the Navy and USMC. What a vicious cycle.

kojax

Practically Family
i think for the money gibson barnes makes a very nice g-1 jacket.....the leather is real nice and the collar is not to big and not fuzzy wuzzy lol.......like some mfg ......

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
kojax said:
my friend just got a cockpit vintage goatskin g-i jacket.....real nice all broke in nice brown redish collar and all the patches on it...

I just looked at the price of the Avirex (Cockpit) Vintage G-1. Seven twenty-five for a size 48. About a month ago I bought a C-series original G-1 in size 48 for just over one third the price of that reproduction Avirex. And it came with its original squadron patch.

Good original G-1s are still out there--even in the larger sizes. Just take your time and save your money. You'll end up with something much nicer than anybody's repro.

AF

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Hi sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I'm too looking to get a good quality G1. I've looked at A2's but there is just something I really like about the G1.

From what I've read on here the older jackets are more desirable because:

A. They have authentic mouton collars
B. The quality of the goatskin is higher.

Is this correct? And if so what periods / years should I be looking at? Are there any particular manufacturers to seek out / avoid?

Perhaps there are some threads I should read, that I may have missed.

Many thanks for your help!

Justhandguns

Practically Family
From what I've read on here the older jackets are more desirable because:
A. They have authentic mouton collars
B. The quality of the goatskin is higher.
Is this correct? And if so what periods / years should I be looking at? Are there any particular manufacturers to seek out / avoid?
Perhaps there are some threads I should read, that I may have missed.
Many thanks for your help!

The last post was from 2008, and that was 6-7yrs ago. If you search all the auctions of G-1/M422a and alike online, you will find the prices have gone up quite significantly. I got one wearable 70s' G-1 for 40quids in 2012, I think similar jacket will easily go for more than 100quids these days. I also recently acquired a mint ELC G-1 for a very reasonable price which I am extremely happy with.

When you search for you perfect G-1, most mid/late 70s' jackets come with a synthetic fur collar. There are also some 80s' jackets which come with cowhide rather than goat's as well. I am sure there are other experts who can give you more information with that.

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Cheers!

Yes I've noticed prices have gone up significantly. Should have started my search earlier. I've seen the ELC jackets and they look amazing. If one comes up in my size 42/44 I would be very interested. But in truth I was hoping for an original in goatskin and with a real collar. Seems I should be looking at the 60's and prior. I've discovered they were not issured for a time in the late 70's early 80's is that when savings were made in materials, or earlier.

Many thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats