Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G&B Civil A-2 fit pics?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I normally wear a 44 long suit size and used to own a G&B A-2 in 44T (long) that fit me like a tent. I currently own a G&B "historic" Model 43 A-2 in size 40T that is by no means a snug fit and actually is not as snug as my Aero A-2 Bronco that is a size 44 long. I would strongly suggest contacting G&B for measurements for their Civil A-2 in sizes 36, 38, and 40 before you proceed further.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Anyone have em? Show it off! I know they run large, wondering if I should get a 38 or 40 (my normal jacket size).

I have the civil in a size 42R. I can wear a 40, or 42 without problem. I'm 5' 11", 174 lbs, size 33 jeans. My friend ordered his A-2 from them one size smaller than his normal coat size, and it is a perfect fit. Wish I would have ordered mine in a 40, although thru the shoulder my 42 is perfect.

It would be best to call G&B. They have an extremely liberal return/exchange policy. You will love the jacket! I know of G&B accepting a return/exchange after 70 days...how many companies would do that???

Last edited:

Dracorex

Familiar Face
I don't own a G&B A-2 but I do own a G-1 and M422A. I'm afraid I don't have any pictures to show you but you're right, the jackets do run large. Not so much in the shoulders but definitely in the body of the jacket. You will definitely want to size down! My M422A does fit tighter than my G-1. You may want to go with one of their historical A2's to get a better fit. Other than the larger sizing, G&B makes a great jacket.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
You know how sizes are. Sometimes I wear a 40 and sometimes a 42. Anyway. I bought a 40 GB Civil A2 on ebay. It came with a zip out full thinsulate lining. I'd expected to wear the jacket without the liner; but without it, the jacket was way too big. It fit nicely though when I did have the layer zipped in. Ergo, I'd go a size down.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Photos here actually will tell you nothing as we are all built a little different. You simply have to try the jacket on, see for yourself. I would have G&B send 2 jackets in 2 sizes...try them both, keep the one that fits best. That is what I did.

Here is a photo of my G&B A-2 (cow hide) with a Schott G-1 (goat):

P1010018.jpg

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I'd look to ebay for an older model before buying new. I believe they've revised their patterns recently. I bought their Civil A-2 new about three years ago and sold it. Decided to give it another shot, same size, but the fit was much bigger in the upper chest/shoulders than I had remembered. Could have been a one-off thing or a figment of my imagination...story short, size at least one, possibly two sizes down. Great jacket though.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I look at jackets like underwear...don't want my boys goin' where your boys have been. That is why I would only buy something as personal as an A-2 newly manufactured. Sometimes there are new ones on the Bay. Just a personal problem with me, I guess.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I look at jackets like underwear...don't want my boys goin' where your boys have been. That is why I would only buy something as personal as an A-2 newly manufactured. Sometimes there are new ones on the Bay. Just a personal problem with me, I guess.

What a shame all people don't only buy new A2s. As a collector of wartime jackets I would then be able to buy wartime A2s at a knockdown prices.;)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The only "old" things that are of interest are airplanes. Clothing? I'll stick to new. So the second hand market is all yours!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
How old and what?

Off topic, but just got back from Sun 'n Fun in Florida. We are building a replica P-51D Mustang. So most anything that flew in WWII is of interest. I started my career flying DC-3's out of DFW...

Note the G&B size 42R is actually a bit smaller in some areas than my Cockpit USA size 40R.

Here are the measurements for my G&B Civil A-2, size 42R:

image0.jpg

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for those measurements. I like G&B jackets very much but I hate the ugly side entry pockets on the civilian model. If only they could have recessed them under the cargo pocket like they do on the Indy Jones jacket.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
I had a G&B civil A-2; knowing they run a bit large, I bought mine one size smaller then my usual sport coat size and it fit fine in sleeve length, shoulders and chest but was still a bit blousey/roomy around the waist so I had my tailor taper the sides (from under the armpit down to the waist) and got the perfect tailored A-2 fit I wanted.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I had a G&B civil A-2; knowing they run a bit large, I bought mine one size smaller then my usual sport coat size and it fit fine in sleeve length, shoulders and chest but was still a bit blousey/roomy around the waist so I had my tailor taper the sides (from under the armpit down to the waist) and got the perfect tailored A-2 fit I wanted.

Is this custom tailoring an expensive proposal?

rolando_ol

Familiar Face
Thanks for the help so far, gents. I called g&B and they insisted I go wit a 40, but I was very skeptical. Still no fit pics here ;-) I wonder how they compare to the Cockpit "civilian 21st cent" A-2.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If G&B insists on a 40, I would have them ship two jackets in sizes 38 and 40, and then return one. Only a few dollars shipping return is the way to proceed IMO.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Thanks for the help so far, gents. I called g&B and they insisted I go wit a 40, but I was very skeptical. Still no fit pics here ;-) I wonder how they compare to the Cockpit "civilian 21st cent" A-2.

When I called them, they pretty much said to order the 44...so, I ordered a 42 and a 44. In the end, we kept the 42. Just wondering if a 40 would have fit??? I think it would have been perfect.

Check out my post on the Cockpit USA Goatskin A-2 Review. Lots of photos, and dimensions plus a bonus video! Again, pics of someone else wearing a jacket really won't help you much, unless it is your identical twin...Ha! What looks good on Joe might not look good on Jim.

Last edited:

thor

Call Me a Cab
Is this custom tailoring an expensive proposal?

I have a good local tailor (an older Chinese woman; when I had a blood chit sewn on one jacket she said "oh, Flying Tigers!"; turns out her uncle worked with them at one of their air bases during the war!) who has done alot of work for me in the past; I think she charged me $20-30. Well worth it if you want the fit "just right".

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I have a good local tailor (an older Chinese woman; when I had a blood chit sewn on one jacket she said "oh, Flying Tigers!"; turns out her uncle worked with them at one of their air bases during the war!) who has done alot of work for me in the past; I think she charged me $20-30. Well worth it if you want the fit "just right".

I may have hit the jackpot as there is a local tailor from Thailand who worked in a sewing factory. She was recommended by a Harley biker leather store. She is sewing some patches for me now on an A-2...hoping it turns out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot