Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Galoshes

Galoshes - a.k.a. Overshoes. Apparently devised by an Englishman (plenty of wet weather there on occasion) to keep his feet dry. He was supposedly inspired by descriptions of similar Roman devices. However, Godfather of Rubber Charles Goodyear had a similar device -- both stories date to about 1890 or so.

With Charleston being pretty much at sea level or below, and given that we're fairly tropical with our weather patterns, I have a pair, and use them quite regularly. However, when it's high-tide and stormy, only a raft would do! lol

Find some here.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Galoshes a.k.a. overshoes a.k.a rubbers. When you read old stories and they talk about the men putting on "rubbers" it usually means "galoshes". It probably fell out of favor because of the other meaning: in Britain rubbers are pencil erasers. ;)

Sincerely,
The Wolf

carter

I'll Lock Up
Growing up on a dairy farm in VA, we were very familiar with galoshes. Black with black metal buckles. Worn everywhere in inclement weather. Has anyone ever seen a church lobby filled with galoshes? It's a funny sight. :)

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I suspect...

...most people just got wet. People these days are much more protected from the weather and seem to be much more adverse to getting wet. I think that "back in the day" people just went about their business and got wet.

Something CharelestonBows said got me remembering:

"With Charleston being pretty much at sea level or below, and given that we're fairly tropical with our weather patterns, I have a pair, and use them quite regularly. However, when it's high-tide and stormy, only a raft would do!"​

I was a cadet at The Citadel in Charleston in the 70s and we wore dress shoes all the time. We had a pair of "rain shoes" that we pretty much kept black rather than spit shined. We wore them in messy weather.

In those days, the campus hadn't been re-graded and there were places where the water would pool 2-3 feet deep around some of the academic buildings. You were expected to wade in to attend class. At the end of the day we would tightly stuff our shoes with newspaper and wear them the next day if it was rainy. It's amazing how well that helped dry shoes overnight.

There was one time in particular I remember where it rained like that off and on for three weeks, so we just kept repeating the cycle of stuffing our shoes by night and wading around campus by day.

One good thing though -- no drill or parade then:eusa_clap

Mid-fogey said:
Something CharelestonBows said got me remembering:

"With Charleston being pretty much at sea level or below, and given that we're fairly tropical with our weather patterns, I have a pair, and use them quite regularly. However, when it's high-tide and stormy, only a raft would do!"​

I was a cadet at The Citadel in Charleston in the 70s and we wore dress shoes all the time. We had a pair of "rain shoes" that we pretty much kept black rather than spit shined. We wore them in messy weather.

In those days, the campus hadn't been re-graded and there were places where the water would pool 2-3 feet deep around some of the academic buildings. You were expected to wade in to attend class. At the end of the day we would tightly stuff our shoes with newspaper and wear them the next day if it was rainy. It's amazing how well that helped dry shoes overnight.

There was one time in particular I remember where it rained like that off and on for three weeks, so we just kept repeating the cycle of stuffing our shoes by night and wading around campus by day.

One good thing though -- no drill or parade then:eusa_clap

As a matter of fact they cancelled parade yesterday... but not PT! lol

I'm glad someone understands the Charleston monsoons!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
When I was a kid, we all wore golashes in snowy weather. They kept your feet dry but not warm. I remember playing outside until my toes got numb.

Father also had a pair of mid-shin rubber boots, the kind sportsmen wear when they wade in shallow water. Mother had some fancy red rain golashes that were shaped so that you could wear them with high heels. (I used to put them on to wear sometimes when I played cowboys because they looked like cowboy boots to me. In spite of that wear and tear, they last her for years.)

Businessmen wore those small "rubbers" that you slip over dress shoes. I cannot imagine they really kept one warm or dry, but businessmen dressed for the office, not the weather.

karol

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
I had...

K.D. Lightner said:
Businessmen wore those small "rubbers" that you slip over dress shoes. I cannot imagine they really kept one warm or dry, but businessmen dressed for the office, not the weather.

karol

...a co-worker who wore them years ago. I thought they were too much trouble myself and never bothered.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have th e slip on rubbers

with the hollow heel for dress shoes, they are a pain, but oh, so authentic!
But then, what do you do with the wet and muddy overshoe, if there is nowhere to leave it? Carry them around in your hands? In a bag? It was a quandary.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Agreed...

Fletch said:
I never liked how your shoes always needed reshining after you took off rubbers.

...I think so too.

Funny story day from before yesterday. I was leaving work on a rainy day and had my fedora, storm coat, and umbrella. One of my Lt Cols starting giving me grief about having too much rain gear -- the implication being that a storm coat and umbrella both were too much.

He then related how he has three boys and had told them that "real men" ignore the rain and go about what they are doing without regard to it. The next day they were trapped in a store by a torrential downpour. When he said it was time to run to the car, the boys said: "but daddy, you said real men don't care about the rain." So they proceeded to walk to the car and get soaked to the skin. lol

Lucky Strike

A-List Customer
Also, the modernised version - Swims

green.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

These have some sort of cloth on the inside, which seems to actually polish the shoes somewhat. Very happy with them.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Lucky Strike said:
Also, the modernised version - Swims

green.jpg

DSC01313.jpg

These have some sort of cloth on the inside, which seems to actually polish the shoes somewhat. Very happy with them.

Now, those look like they might work, and you can get them off the shoes again.. Yea, I used to. long ago, have the galoshes, rubbers, overshoes, or whatever they're properly called. Problem was, once I got the on, I couldn't get them off again. Had to remove them with a pocket knife.

Edward

Bartender
I fancy the look of the "Mobster" model Swims!

For the most part, I just wear decent leather shoes in the wet... or boots in a particularly heavy downpour. Keeping the ankles dry is always a bonus.

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
Galoshes and Overshoes

Maybe I overdress for the dirty work I do, but I generally adhere to the one-outfit per day rule. Usually that means dress clothes unless I am doing something truly dirty.

Anyway, I work in and around chemicals all day, and I am tired of chemicals and mud ruining the color of my shoes and worse making them smell so bad they hurt my business!

I'd like to know if anyone knows of a current supplier of golloshes (yes, I know I probably didn't spell it right, but I can't find the dictionary, some yacko probably threw it out; I hate the 21st century. . .) I was told at a local department store that they are a seasonal item a couple of years ago, but I need some *now*.

Also, if someone could recommend protective gels, hardeners for black and brown dress shoes that I tend to have my feet every day, I'd really appreciate it. . .

Thanks!

3PcSuit

One of the Regulars
lizylou said:
Do you mean Wellingtons "wellies" maybe from a Sporting Goods store! Hope this helps

Will they fit on dress shoes, and do they look dressy themselves? Lol. I don't want a Nike logo or something of the same effect on the side of them.

I've never heard of Wellingtons though. Are you in the UK?

Oh, and how do you *size* them?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou