Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

GAMERS of the Lounge!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I'm strictly a board gamer! My current obsession is Pandemic. We just picked up the new expansion pack. We have been known to host epic sessions of
Arkham Horror. We also have Settlers of Catan, Sunken City, Carcassonne. Mt husband likes card games and I occasionally play with him. We have various editions of Munchkin, various editions of Fluxx, Killer Bunnies.

donCarlos

Practically Family
I have currently only three essential games installed on my computers:

Silent Hunter III
Flight Simulator 2004
Rome: Total war with absolutely awesome Europa Barbarorum mod.

anon`

One Too Many
Well this thread sure brings back memories. I suppose.

Anyway, to answer this:
sophia la shok said:
if you had to choose between medal of honour and call of duty..... go on do tell ;)
(Despite the fact that the enquirer appears to have gone inactive.) COD4 is easily one of the top five FPS games in the history of the genre, insofar as story is concerned. I'd put it up up next to the Half-Life franchise, in fact. But I think the multiplayer sucks. World At War is excellent LAN fun (Nazi zombies FTW!) but otherwise unremarkable. It's tough otherwise. The WWII aspect is tough to differentiate between the two. Really tough. Edge, however, I think goes to COD solely for Modern Warfare's (painfully short, but extraordinarily well-crafted) singleplayer campaign, and World At War's Nazi Zombie mode.

Really loving on Sacred 2 over the past few months, wishing Far Cry 2 was a little less generic in the details and really liking late-night sessions of Left 4 Dead.

And I'm hearing rumours of something that might approximate Planetside 2. Maybe the sign is nigh, and we'll have something approximating a Privateer Online soon?

DeaconKC

One Too Many
I'm not too much into computer games but I do love miniature gaming. I play Warhammer 40k, Wings of War, Star Wars minis and am actually one of the demo folks for Classic Battletech.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
didn't realize we were talking board games too (teach me to read before I post next time) but gaming wise I like A&A (miniatures and the regular one) I also like Risk, the good ol' standby.

Also, my dad gave me a bunch of his old games, mostly Avalon Hill, a couple favorites of that bunch are:

Car Wars
Lords of Creation
Civilization
Diplomacy

Maguire

Practically Family
I've got a long list but here goes:

Heroes of Might and Magic (I-3) - played these for YEARS, still dear to me, great great games.
Might and Magic VI.. still haven't beaten this game despite playing it for years as well! Great game. I'm actually really surprised to see these old 3D0 classics on the list (i've got milennium editions for both) as absolutely no one i know in real life except a cousin of mine actually plays any of these games.

the Total War series (Rome, Medieval II, etc). Anyone want to play this let me know

Age of Empires 1 and 2: Really good series, its a shame they are old and unsupported for multilayer now, some of my best multiplayer matches were in this game.

Rise of nations: same as above, undefeated in multiplayer :D

Warlords: Battlecry series (1-3) - probably one of the most fun/underrated games i've ever played.

Gnome: really old game from early 90s that was loads of fun when i first got it (on my now ancient, 4 gig windows 95 PC). It was loaded with glitches and the graphics were awful but i remember it fondly.

Right now i've (finally) gotten into the Half life series, i beat the first one a few days ago and i'm playing Blue Shift now.

I play Left 4 Dead at a cyber cafe nearby every couple of nights, its quite an addicting game, can't wait for the second one.

Anon: you seem to have my pattern up to a T, from what i see. more power to ya :D

Despite this list, i rarely play computer games, or maybe i'll play one at a time everynow and then .The days when i'd spend hours and hours on a game are long over.

anon`

One Too Many
Maguire said:
...Heroes of Might and Magic (I-3) - played these for YEARS, still dear to me, great great games.

Warlords: Battlecry series (1-3) - probably one of the most fun/underrated games i've ever played.
ZOMG you are awesome!

Ever play any of the mainline Warlords titles?

(And glad to see that you didn't include HoMM4/5 on your list. What a tragedy those were.)

/geek

;)

Maguire

Practically Family
anon` said:
ZOMG you are awesome!

Ever play any of the mainline Warlords titles?

(And glad to see that you didn't include HoMM4/5 on your list. What a tragedy those were.)

/geek

;)
I actually played HoMM 4 and 5. They weren't bad games persay, i enjoyed 5.. but it simply wasn't the same game. 4 on the other hand i played for a long time but i remember it becoming rather tedious after a while. Plus they did away with all the best heroes like Lord Haart and Crag Haack and the like!

I never played the mainline warlords games, they looked alot like Heroes type turn based.. so i figured one turn based series is enough. I actually just reinstalled battlecry III for a go.. i really wish they'd make a fourth.

anon`

One Too Many
Maguire said:
I actually played HoMM 4 and 5. They weren't bad games persay, i enjoyed 5.. but it simply wasn't the same game. 4 on the other hand i played for a long time but i remember it becoming rather tedious after a while. Plus they did away with all the best heroes like Lord Haart and Crag Haack and the like!

I never played the mainline warlords games, they looked alot like Heroes type turn based.. so i figured one turn based series is enough. I actually just reinstalled battlecry III for a go.. i really wish they'd make a fourth.
I played both HoMM4&5, but both of them were terrible, IMNSHO, coming off HoMM2/3. I also didn't like the move from hand-shaded sprites to 3D models. Took so much of the charm away!

Warlords was actually fairly different from HoMM. Still turn based, yeah, but pretty noticeably different. It would be like... I dunno, comparing StarCraft to Company of Heroes.

m000m000

One of the Regulars
Tribes 2 Classic CTF

Starcraft

Well, I play a lot of games, but these are the two I keep coming back to.

While I'm not particulary good in either (everything being relative of course, this from the perspective of someone who actually plays them :p), these are my favourites because of the fast-paced, rugged, die-hard competetive aspect to them both - but only because there simultaneously is an insane amount of depth and breadth to both games that comes together as a well-balanced whole.

They're open sandboxes with given rulesets where players use their wit and skill to take mettle of each other, instead of cages where your skill and wit gets artificially limited due to too overbearing rules or simply bad design, like in so many nameless would-be competitors ;-).

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I was sucked into WOW (world of warcraft) for over a year.
I have been clean and sober for 3 months now lol

I like to mess with Sims on occasion, but right now I have no idea where it is. I like when they flirt by showing off and balancing vacuums on their heads.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
I'm resurrecting this thread only to point out that the OP (Diamondback) recognized me by my username on an unrelated board gaming forum, when I was introducing myself over there. It reminded me that I haven't posted here in a while!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Playing GTA Vice City again, but enjoying it more the second time around.
Also, Gran Turismo 5, and L.A. Noire (doing streetcrimes investigations now to finish up the game).

Hamlet

New in Town
D&D
Traveler
Wings of War

Borderlands
Fallout
Battlefield
Civilization

Chess
Backgammon

P1013505-Edit_zps2e6ccbc1.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Just bought Portal 2 on sale for 5 bucks. I couldn't say no.

Recently been playing Sniper Elite V2, which is an awesome WWII sniper game. Battlefield Bad Company 2, Killing Floor, Dota 2, TF2, Portal and Half Life 2 are among those currently installed on my machine. I also have MW2 and MW3 installed, but I only like the single player and I rarely play those recently (although I have gotten to level 70 and unlocked everything on multiplayer)

Maybe I'll post more later reminiscing about the old games I once played, because there are SO many. :D

xXClockwork

New in Town
I play PC games almost exclusively. My all-time favorite is Counter-Strike: Source. Some others I have enjoyed:

Skyrim
Fable (The first)
Day of Defeat (Set in WWII)
Age of Empires 3
Max Payne

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Me: I'm a big fan of Vietcong..the jungle wars of 65 in multi-player mode..great fun & helps me switch off from work a treat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner