Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary Cooper

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Many associate him with westerns, though Gary came along long before "High Noon".

There is even a refference to him in the 1930 song puttin' on the ritz.

An Icon of his day and the regular Joe in his films, Gary Cooper.
gc_sized-vi.jpg
gary-cooper02.jpg

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
Matt Deckard said:
There is even a refference to him in the 1930 song puttin' on the ritz.

Whose is that song originally? I've only heard a cover by a band named Taco and an instrumental version by Benny Goodman.

Love that second picture. There is something very beautiful about smoke.

db5zx

Familiar Face
"Puttin' On The Ritz" was written by Irving Berlin in 1930. The best known singer associated with that song is Fred Astaire, who performed it in the 1946 movie "Blue Skies." Originally, it was written for the 1930 motion picture musical of the same title, starring Harry Richman and Joan Bennett. The lyrics, however, changed from the original 1930 version to the 1946 Fred Astaire version.

Jens

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
db5zx said:
"Puttin' On The Ritz" was written by Irving Berlin in 1930. The best known singer associated with that song is Fred Astaire, who performed it in the 1946 movie "Blue Skies." Originally, it was written for the 1930 motion picture musical of the same title, starring Harry Richman and Joan Bennett. The lyrics, however, changed from the original 1930 version to the 1946 Fred Astaire version.

Jens

Cark Gable famously sang it in "Idiot's Delight" also.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Anybody know why there are two versions of "Puttin' On The Ritz," sung by Astaire, but they have very different lyrics? One is about Harlem, if I recall. I'll have to dig out my CD again to check.

Brad

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Coop

Yes, Gary Cooper was one dapper Canadian. And frustrated cartoonist.
374838867KxQsjl_ph.jpg
374838885PbfFER_ph.jpg

And here's Times Square for good measure:
374838840uebJWq_ph.jpg

Dismuke

One of the Regulars
Vladimir Berkov said:
He also had a small part in "Wings" in 1927.
Matt Deckard said:
Actually he had a big part in Wings.

This movie is a must see for Clara Bow fans.

Vladimir Berkov said:
But wasn't he the guy who was killed in a plane crash at the training camp?

Vladimir is correct on this. Gary Cooper's character appeared for only a few brief moments in the movie before being killed.

It is a great movie and one that I recommend.

Jen

New in Town
Sigh...Coop

He grew up in Helena, Montana, but I think he went to school in England for a bit. Myrna Loy also spent part of her childhood in Helena, and I think they knew each other (Coop was a little older). Style must be in the water...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot