Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary Cooper's fedora

RBH

Bartender
Does anyone have any info or have a hat styled after the one Gary Cooper wore in For Whom The Bell Tolls ?

belllo4.jpg

Last edited:

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

So, you noticed that too...

Last night, I was clicking through the channels when I came across this film, which I have seen, but since it was based on a Hemingway book, I was watching it for similarities or dissimilarities to Hemingway's book. Last night, I am clicking through and with fresh eyes and I came across this fellow in a tan military shirt and brown fedora, and I had to look twice. ;)

Anyway, I thought I would comment, but I don't know which company produced that hat. [huh]

RBH

Bartender
Yes Hemingway, I did a double take also. For some reason it put me in mind of 'The Man in the Hat' lol

Anyway I liked the look so I tried it with my Ecuador Hat. I thought Coopers hat looked rugged and tough yet to use my catch phrase ''classic''.
After putting the c-crown in mine, I think it does look better than with the center dent. The felt in this hat is so easy to work with, I can change the crease as I like with no problem or crease lines.

tollkv5.jpg

Last edited:

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Those of you with an eye for detail help me here - what's different about Coop's hat? The ribbon width and bash look pretty conventional to me.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I think someone posted some pics of Cooper's fedora on a different thread, with a good shot of the crown. The crown was hand bashed and it looked like a teardrop type shape but modified into more like diamond shape, like a triangle facing forward and a triangle facing backwards.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There was a film about an architect starring gary Cooper which I caught on TCM, back when I got my first hat and when I was playing with bash styles, and in that film, the title of which I cannot recall, there was a reverse shot of the fedora he was wearing, a rear view, that clearly showed a diamond bash, which is where I got the idea for the original diamond bashes I had in the grey and Open Road fedoras, later returning them C-crowns.

IMGP0125.jpg

I didn't know it was called a diamond bash. I did notice, in RBH's still from the movie he and Hemmingway saw, that Cooper doesn't have the hat on straight, or it's pinched off center. Probably not on straight. I mention the other film because someone here in some thread indicated that actors in this period of films, like Jimmy Stewart, often wore their own hats in films, and the same hat in several films. I wonder if that was the case here. I wish I could remeber the title of the Cooper film I referenced.

dean

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
deanglen said:
There was a film about an architect starring gary Cooper which I caught on TCM, back when I got my first hat and when I was playing with bash styles, and in that film, the title of which I cannot recall, there was a reverse shot of the fedora he was wearing, a rear view, that clearly showed a diamond bash, which is where I got the idea for the original diamond bashes I had in the grey and Open Road fedoras, later returning them C-crowns.

[snip: cool hats]

I didn't know it was called a diamond bash. I did notice, in RBH's still from the movie he and Hemmingway saw, that Cooper doesn't have the hat on straight, or it's pinched off center. Probably not on straight. I mention the other film because someone here in some thread indicated that actors in this period of films, like Jimmy Stewart, often wore their own hats in films, and the same hat in several films. I wonder if that was the case here. I wish I could remeber the title of the Cooper film I referenced.

dean
I find that look extremely swanky. Bravo. :eusa_clap

Baggers

Practically Family
deanglen said:
There was a film about an architect starring gary Cooper which I caught on TCM...I wish I could remeber the title of the Cooper film I referenced.

dean

Are you referring to Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead?

And speaking of Coop's wardrobe in For Whom the Bell Tolls, did anyone notice his sheepskin jacket? Looks pretty much like an Army Air Corps D-1 to me.

Cheers!

deanglen

Baggers said:
Are you referring to Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead?

And speaking of Coop's wardrobe in For Whom the Bell Tolls, did anyone notice his sheepskin jacket? Looks pretty much like an Army Air Corps D-1 to me.

Cheers!

Bingo! It was in a scene where he was in an excavation site talking to that blonde dame whose father ends up hiring Cooper to design a building. I swear his fedora had a diamond bash.

dean

griffer

Practically Family
deanglen said:
...Some architect....in a scene where he was in an excavation site talking to that blonde dame whose father ends up hiring Cooper to design a building.

Howard Roark meets Dominique Francon.

'Some architect movie with a dame.'

Yeah, understatement of the year.

I shudder.

Try the book, you'll understand. ;)

Baggers

Practically Family
deanglen said:
Bingo! It was in a scene where he was in an excavation site talking to that blonde dame whose father ends up hiring Cooper to design a building. I swear his fedora had a diamond bash.

dean

Oh man, you gotta pay better attention when you watch movies. That "blonde dame" was Patricia Neal playing Dominique Francon, the love interest/conflict between Howard Roark (Cooper), and her boss and eventual husband Gail Wynand (Raymond Massey), the guy you referred to as her "father."

I love to watch that film, if for nothing more than the photography. Ayn Rand wrote the script, but unfortunately the story suffered in the translation and Cooper's monologue in the trial scene seemed to lack conviction ("I'm speaking the words, but I have no idea what I'm saying").

Still, very cool hat. I'm a real fan of imperfect, casual and personalized bashes.

Cheers!

Baggers

Practically Family
Perhaps. But while many of us try to do the turn by placing the front pinch off center so it still looks "centered" when we wear it, evidently Cooper simply turned the hat and let the pinch drift off to the side along with it.

Perhaps we're seeing the 1040s equivalent of the modern day mania for wearing baseball caps turned to side (or completely reversed, blechh!). Puts the whole thing in a new light, doesn't it? Gary Cooper, the Golden Era predecessor to the rapper! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers!

renor27

One of the Regulars
Great hat

Great Hat great Film
FYI it was filmed in the Sonora Pass area of the Sierra south of Lake Tahoe along Hiway 108 am planning a photo trip there next summer. Any body interested in joining me?
The DVD has some great still from the making of the film will be using those stills to try to find as much of the film locations as I can.
Any one have any ideas on the coat he is wearing though the film?
Would love to get one made for the winters here in Western Nevada,
David

OldSkoolFrat

A-List Customer
Baggers said:
Perhaps. But while many of us try to do the turn by placing the front pinch off center so it still looks "centered" when we wear it, evidently Cooper simply turned the hat and let the pinch drift off to the side along with it.

Perhaps we're seeing the 1040s equivalent of the modern day mania for wearing baseball caps turned to side (or completely reversed, blechh!). Puts the whole thing in a new light, doesn't it? Gary Cooper, the Golden Era predecessor to the rapper! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Cheers!

Say it aint so, Joe. Say it ain't so.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

We have all seen many examples of "turned" hats in the Golden Era; purely unintentionally as chaps picked up their hats and placed them on slightly crooked. I am sure we have all done it as well. It's not a fashion choice, but a consequence.

deanglen

Baggers said:
Oh man, you gotta pay better attention when you watch movies. That "blonde dame" was Patricia Neal playing Dominique Francon, the love interest/conflict between Howard Roark (Cooper), and her boss and eventual husband Gail Wynand (Raymond Massey), the guy you referred to as her "father."

I love to watch that film, if for nothing more than the photography. Ayn Rand wrote the script, but unfortunately the story suffered in the translation and Cooper's monologue in the trial scene seemed to lack conviction ("I'm speaking the words, but I have no idea what I'm saying").

Still, very cool hat. I'm a real fan of imperfect, casual and personalized bashes.

Cheers!

The only thing I really was interested in was his hat. But you're right, must focus. Adult ADD sufferer.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic