Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gary "The Sarge" Matthews; Philadelphia Phillies color commentator and hat enthusiast

MattJH

One Too Many
Gary "The Sarge" Matthews can be heard here in Philadelphia all through the baseball season as the color commentator, often alongside the best voice in all of sports, Harry Kalas (R.I.P.). He wears a hat every day, and a different one each time at that -- they're usually brimmed, and sometimes they're fedoras. Here is a slideshow of his hats being worn on television, and here is a two minute video of The Sarge talking about how many hats he has (upwards of 70!).

The reason I mention this is that The Sarge actually released his own hat line recently featuring two different models - a sort-of newsie cap (in Philadelphia, they're almost always referred to as "jeff caps") and a fedora. I had no prior knowledge about this when I immediately scooped up the first Phillies jeff cap I've ever seen from the Citizens Bank Park shop tonight (where I witnessed a sound victory over the Mets!). It was $39.00 -- a bit pricey -- but heck, it's a Phillies hat that isn't a cap! As much as I love baseball caps, with no sarcasm implied, this was too unique to pass up and I genuinely thought it looked good. It's made by New Era, the same company that makes the official on-field baseball caps. As I understand it, it's unique to this team as The Sarge worked with New Era exclusively to come up with the designs.

On my walk back to my seat, I received three separate compliments on it. I included the only picture I could find online showing both models he designed. Granted, the fedora isn't much to write home about, but it will definitely appeal to the intended demographic. The cap is very nice, and includes a nice yellow "P" symbol from the old-school Phillies logo of the 70's and 80's stitched on the back -- it isn't gaudy or in your face, but unless you're a Phillies fan, you won't have much reason to own one because of it.

Even so, good for The Sarge for making available alternate headgear styles to reflect your fandom of a sports team. I just wish this was national rather than local. I think this sort of style would sell well for any sports team.

Anyway, I just wanted to share the information and, okay, fine, gloat about the Fightin' Phils :).

Photo:

sarges-hats.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24