Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Question

rebel12th

New in Town
I know have a small stable of 5 hats, 3 wool felt and 2 straw. Seeing as I live in Texas our winters are not terribly cold so by the time lunch rolls around you can walk around outside without a jacket of any kind. My question is this, if I am wearing a short sleeve shirt and jeans is it proper for me to wear my fedora along with it?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Welcome to the Lounge! ;)

I think could be hard for many to answer the question without an image. Can you post a picture of the outfit in question? You will certainly get opinion regarding what looks good or otherwise to the onlooker.

pipvh

Practically Family
It isn't really "proper" to wear a short-sleeved shirt and jeans, period...

Seriously though, there are hats made to be worn with this get-up - something like this comes to mind:http://www.lockhatters.co.uk/_Panama___Straw_Hats-Miami-P291.aspx. It's a certain look - a great one, I think. If on the other hand you were wearing a long-sleeved shirt with the sleeves rolled up and something like khakis down below, a fedora would be fine.

Bear in mind, though, that this advice comes from someone who was taught that 'a gentleman never rolls his shirtsleeves above his elbow,' advice that I've rarely actually followed...

quickerNu

New in Town
rebel12th said:
I know have a small stable of 5 hats, 3 wool felt and 2 straw. Seeing as I live in Texas our winters are not terribly cold so by the time lunch rolls around you can walk around outside without a jacket of any kind. My question is this, if I am wearing a short sleeve shirt and jeans is it proper for me to wear my fedora along with it?

I have pretty much traded in all of my jeans for khakis, just for that reason. I'll wear a straw with a t-shirt and jeans, but I've realized khakis are much cooler than jeans in the summer, have a classier look, and allow me to wear any hat. So, yes, some people will wear a hat with jeans (only straw with jeans is my rule) but I why even bother with jeans? Then nice boots and shoes follow, then watch chains, then it's all downhill.

rebel12th

New in Town
I appreciate all the advice, I do have a couple of straw hats for the summer but with my line of work khakis would be ok but I'm working in dusty areas and I'd rather not ruin a good pair of pants. Might just have to go that route though. Thanks guys!!

HatRak

Familiar Face
Well now, there are dress up fedoras and there are dress down fedoras. I don't know that I would wear a gray Borsalino Como with jeans and a short-sleeved shirt, but I wouldn't hesitate to wear a fawn Stetson Open Road that way. And just because I wouldn't do it doesn't mean you couldn't pull it off with panache. Try it, if you're uncomfortable, don't wear it that way, but you might be surprised what you find looks good when you step outside the comfort zone of conventionality.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I very rarely wear anything other then jeans and a casual shirt, yet still get compliments. I've certainly been known to wear a casual short sleeve button down and jeans with a fedora, and I like the way it looks and feels. Once it starts getting warm though, I have to turn to caps as I don't have any good straws. I have a straw, but it's a crappy one from Lids. (Hey, it was $5, and I put a respectable ribbon on it.) These days I wear more layers though, so the formality of those layers varies. However, with anything I wear I reserve the right to wear a fedora, work jacket, blazer, or hockey jersey.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Fedoras are hats, not only dress hats. Some are dressier then others, yes, but there is no rule against the form. No, you wouldn't wear a wingtip with baggy jeans and a hoodie, but a chukka book wouldn't look out of place. A homburg or top hat would look very out of place with that outfit, but a fedora wouldn't.

As a general rule I would stay away from hats with both large brims and bound edges with that kind of getup, but anything else should be doable.

4and1

One of the Regulars
Yeah, Rebel. You can get away with that if you want to, but I would suggest you scrap the wool and get some fur. You'll be glad you did.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Be who you are.... Wear it anyway you are comfortable.

ofsg80.jpg

rebel12th

New in Town
Thank you Gentlemen this has been a great help!!! I have been wearing either my brown gangster or my black stingy brim center crease depending on what jacket I wear that day. As I said I mostly wear jeans and I have gotten tons of compliments on all my hats. The gangster is a Bailey hat and goes well with just about everything as does the black stingy. It truely was a much more civialized world when men wore hats!! Thanks again......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner