Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General questions and help needed for a '50s Cagleco G1 Leather Bomber!!!

Returningson

New in Town
Hey

I scored this amazing jacket at a local second hand shop. The tag states that it is a Cagleco Sportswear Intermediate G1 with specific contract/spec numbers etc. I've done some research and know that Cagleco was one of the few companies that had an original military contract. The jacket has USN stenciled under the flap and the "USN" perforation in the windflap. Seems to be made of seal goatskin. Only mine doesnt seem to have the mouton collar as all the others ive seen have. Was the collar removable or is mine a variation? Furthermore, the condition is not that bad considering the jacket is nearly 60 years old. In its current state and condition, whats its current worth on the market? Also, would it be worth to have the knitted cuffs and waist redone professionally what does that usually cost? And lastly, would putting a coat of pecards leather dressing on the leather in any way diminish the value? Any input on this amazing piece would be most welcome! Thanks!

Here are pics
DSC05031.jpg

DSC05029.jpg

DSC05030.jpg

DSC05033.jpg

DSC05035.jpg

DSC05038.jpg

DSC05032.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your Cagleco G-1 originally had a mouton collar. The leather collar facing is quite clearly a later addition and you can see the rows of yellow thread used to attach it to the original goat skin collar back. This addition is likely to de-value the jacket. In its current state it might sell for $150-$200 on Ebay and would cost around $100- $120 to replace the waistband and knits professionally. A coat of Pecards would help to protect the goatskin. I own an original from the same 1957 contract in excellent condition in a size 44.

karhu21

One of the Regulars
Must agree with aswatland.
The collar is a later addition but the jacket looks very classy indeed.
Getting the cuffs and waistband replaced and a coat of Pecards would give you one cool
looking jacket at a fraction of the price of say, an ELC Timeworn version.

pipvh

Practically Family
Am I right in thinking, though, that this Cagleco contract had both the USN stencil and the perforated windflap? So might be the original collar badly re-attached after fur removal?

Definitely a nice jacket regardless.

Returningson

New in Town
No the leather facong on the collar is solid and has a grrat patina itself. I mean its so natural that i didnt even know this was supposed to have a fur collar until looking at other ones..

karhu21

One of the Regulars
The jacket looks as though it had a name tag at one time on the left side.
Perhaps William Holdens from The Bridges at Toko Ri!
Aside of the jacket, just noticed a bottle of Jim Dunlop juice behind it.
If you have any classic axes see you over on the Display case guitar forum
a bit further down.

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
Nice looking jacket. Although, it is not a "bomber" jacket. Sorry, a pet peeve of mine when people call a G-1 a bomber jacket. I concur that the collar has been replaced and it looks like a name tag was removed from the left side. Pecards would only help the jacket, along with replacing the cuffs and waist band.

Last edited:

Returningson

New in Town
Greased up the jacket with pecards but i left the stencil area under the collar slone. Looks really great but it really doesnt fit in with my current style aesthtic so i might sell... I will post some pics after the pecards dries out..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24