Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentleman's umbrella, where to find?

nihil

One of the Regulars
Hello everyone

I'm looking for a new walking umbrella. The one I got right now is sporting a small logo on the Velcro closure, the handle is plastic, and it's too short. I don't really think it's manufactured with the intention of being used as a walking umbrella.
After some consideration, I ended up purchasing a 'Gents/Mans Fulton Huntsman Walking Umbrella In Black' off the bay. It looked ideal, but when I received it, it turned out to have a massive handle. Almost 3cm in wood diameter. The rest is also a bit beefy. Not exactly my idea of an elegant gentleman's walking umbrella.
Do any of you know where I can source a suitable and stylish umbrella? My only criteria as such is that the canopy is very dark or preferably black, the entire umbrella around 90cm or longer, and that the handle is not made from plastic. It would be ideal if I could purchase it from within the EU, to avoid taxation.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
You might consider sourcing a vintage one perhaps? My local "umbrella man", as well as operating an umbrella sales and repair stall in the local market, maintains an eBay store retailing vintage Fox-frame umbrellas which he has restored himself, often making the parts by hand. They are not inexpensive, but the final product is very handsome: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/canesbrollysfollys?_trksid=p4340.l2563

nihil

One of the Regulars
Those are very nice, but also a tad pricey. I haven't used an umbrella as an accessory often, and I'm unsure if it fits my style. Therefore I would prefer if the first proper one, isn't overly expensive.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
I used to have one of those Huntsman umbrellas - far too heavy, I'd rather get rained on!
I gave it to a charity shop and got a vintage Fox umbrella from Ebay for £30 - I think the silver in the handle was worth more than that!

nihil

One of the Regulars
I've been watching ebay for a little while now, and there doesn't seem to pop reasonably priced vintage umbrellas up. They start at 100£+, which is too much for my liking.
Any suggestions for more mildly priced, reasonably beautiful umbrellas?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I tried to get a quality vintage umbrella on ebay for quite some time, but had no luck. Most of the ones I wanted went to for pretty close to the price of a new one... I finally broke down and got a new solid stick one from James Smith a few years ago. Expensive but really a great brolly.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I luckily picked up a very, very cheap brolly a few months back from a shop here in Melbourne which is almost an exact copy of a leather handled Fox. I couldn't believe it, $AU15 and it's remarkably well made. One of those great little buys that you occasionally stumble upon!

Edward

Bartender
I purchased a bamboo handled one from them last week. Super value for money at £25 and very stylish

Thanks for the tip! I've been looking for one for a while, but just couldn't justify what Fox etc fetch these days....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner