Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gentlemen: The most beautiful actress from the beginning of film up to the 50's....

dr greg

One Too Many
no contest

Jane Greer in Out of the Past, when she walks through the door, c'mon guys, it can't be beat.

180pxjanegreerto5.jpg

pennycarrol

A-List Customer
Sorry I'm not a gentleman, just a lady lol!! The most beautiful women are (for me): Rita hayworth, Constance Benett, Greta Garbo, Clara Bow, Veronica Lake.... Actually all those actresses from 20's to the 50's were absolutely stunning!!! It's hard to make a choice!!!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I'm not a man, but I tend to prefer actresses over actors.

My picks are Joan Crawford, Dorothy Lamour, Kay Francis, and Glenda Farrell. I like my women to be unconventionally beautiful and a bit over-the-top glamourous. I also like them with a bit of sass!

joan_crawford_1306-1.jpg
dorothy_lamour_1303-1.jpg

kay_francis_1300-1.jpg
glenda_farrell_1300.jpg

Camille

Familiar Face
I'm no gentleman either, but...

2-1009-garbo(3).jpg

1-1016-img239a.jpg

2-1040-marlene(2).jpg

I don't know what it is with me and cigarettes. [huh] They look sooo good on pictures, but I can't stand them in real life.

Bill Taylor

One of the Regulars
Absinthe_1900 said:
Mabel Normand, she swore like sailor, threw one of the first pies in film, was the first Keystone bathing beauty, and was a natural comic.

MabelNormand.jpg

I agree 100%. Mabel was wonderful. Regarding the pies, as I have read the story, Charlie Chaplin was the new guy on the block and Mabel was directing him (she directed many of the Keystone films). Chaplin didn't like to be directed period and certainly not by a woman. There were some pies on a window sill that the hobos were to "swipe". Chaplin got p.o.'d at Mabel, grabbed one of the pies and threw it at her. She ducked (used to fast responses, I guess). Then Mabel grabbed another pie and threw it at Chaplin and "splat - right in the face". Meantime, the cameramen had just kept grinding away during the "scene". May not be true to what really happened, but it makes a great story.

Besides Mabel, there was Lillian Gish. Between the two of them, they made what we think of as the movies. Anything after them is just a copy, so said Lucille Ball. Late in Gish's life (she was 95, I think), she, Bette Davis, Ann Southern, Vincent Price and (I think) Harry Carey made a movie called "The Whales of August", a dreadful film. But the old pros were sort of great. Anyway, after a close up, the director said, "Miss Gish, that was a wonderful close-up. Bette Davis whipped around and said, "it should have been, she invented them". Probably high praise from "ole Bette".

But again, Mabel is my all time favorite. What a gal! Thrown pies, black and blue from doing her own stunts, murder mysteries (William Desmond Taylor), shoot outs with the chauffeur, booze, physical fights with other stars (especially Mae Busch) and so on and on. Although, it is rumored that the fights (which were supposedly over Mack Sennet) were put ons by Mabel and the others to protect Mack Sennet's reputation and keep the public from knowing that he didn't...uh...ahem..care for the ladies all that much. You gotta love Hollywood!

Bill

Hondo

One Too Many
If i could, I'd take all of these timeless women, I just feel its all Rita Hayworth,
and can't argue with Veronica Lake, check out 1941's "Sullivan's Travels", she was gorgeous ;)
Rita's my main love, true Goddess :)

veronicalake13ce.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Bill Taylor said:
I agree 100%. Mabel was wonderful.

Mabel is my all time favorite. What a gal! Thrown pies, black and blue from doing her own stunts, murder mysteries (William Desmond Taylor), shoot outs with the chauffeur, booze, physical fights with other stars (especially Mae Busch) and so on and on. Although, it is rumored that the fights (which were supposedly over Mack Sennet) were put ons by Mabel and the others to protect Mack Sennet's reputation and keep the public from knowing that he didn't...uh...ahem..care for the ladies all that much. You gotta love Hollywood!

Bill

Ironic screen name you have for a Mabel fan. ;)

I've heard of the Sennett rumor, whatever happened that day in 1915 between Mabel Normand, Mack Sennett, and Mae Busch, almost killed Mabel, and profoundly affected her for the rest of her life.

MabelNormand1916.jpg

It's too bad Mabel and Charlie didn't work together after Keystone, Mabel deserved much better than she got from Sennett & Goldwyn.

mabelandcharlie.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I asked my 88-year-old mother who she thought was a most beautiful, glamorous actress pre-1950 and she mentioned that her she and her sister were crazy about Clara Bow.

I agree that Ingrid Bergman was stunning on camera. She just ate up the screen.

An old-time Hollywood camera man, who had filmed all the great beauties for many decades, was asked who was the most beautiful actress he had filmed, and he said his first choice was Carole Lombard, as she was someone you could film at any angle and she always looked great.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou