Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gents, the gods have smiled upon me!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
I never thought I would be saying this but I am the proud owner of a custom-made hat.

One of my co-workers has taken notice of my appreciation of hats. It turns out that he himself has a large collection as his step-father is a hatmaker. He told me that his step-father had started a hat for him long ago, but he was not crazy about the style and it has been sitting in a box, unfinished, ever since. He asked me if I would be interested in it. I told him that I appreciated the offer but I could not afford a custom made hat. He said that I could have it as a gift and that his step-father would finish it to my liking.

Of course I accepted his gracious offer and a few days later he brought it to me as is. It was a beaver felt hat, silverbelly in color, with a flat 2 1/2 inch brim and a perfectly molded teardrop crown. The crown was completely horizontal, and when pushed out was just over 5 inches; the edge of the brim was raw cut. There was a 1 inch grosgrain ribbon in complimentary color with a 4 1/4 inch bow. As there was no liner yet, the hatter's marks were still visible on the inside:

16920 (a stock number?)
5X (beaver content?)
7 3/8 (size?)
1500 (?)
2 1/2" (obviously the brim)

Even though the hat was apparently intended at one point to be a size 7 3/8, it sits just a bit low on my size 7 1/4 head, meaning of course that with the sweatband in it should be a perfect fit.

It was my intention to take pictures as soon as I got home, but my hands could not keep themselves away from it. First I bent the back of the brim up and the front down. Then I dry-bashed a nice diamond into the crown with the back lower than the front. The diamond edges took well dry but the center of the teardrop does not want to come out without steam. Lastly I attempted side dents but I'm not pleased with their shape just yet.

I wasn't crazy about the color of the ribbon at first but the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I can't decide what I want to do with the edges of the brim. I actually like them just as they are!

I just called and left a message with the hatter and I am waiting to hear back about making an appointment to bring it in to be finished. Please give me any suggestions that may help me at this stage, and if not then just feel free to tell me what a lucky son of a pistol I am!

Oh yes... my friend's name is Buster, and I have named the hat (and added the pin) in his honor.

DSC04108.jpg

DSC04106.jpg

DSC04107.jpg

DSC04102.jpg

DSC04103.jpg

DSC04104.jpg

DSC04105.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Now that's a gift that's a head of the pack!

I think a 16 ligne grosgrain ribbon in willow green or cranberry would look great on that hat. It would add a winter white sorta pop. Whadaya think ?

I'm looking forward to seeing the completed hat. Congratulations, SP!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks promising. Is the hatter a pro? That is, does he make hats
for a living? Have we heard of him? There aren't so many custom
hatters out there, so I'm curious to know more.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What a lovely present Slim..!!

The ribbon looks fine to me (although it's easy enough changing to a more bold and contrasting one if that's your taste) and alongside a light summer suit, you'll be the talk of the town!!

What a lovely gesture by your friend :eusa_clap

Edward

Bartender
Beautiful hat. I too like it's own ribbon - great, as Paddy say, with a Summer suit; also, it has (at least on my monitor ;) ) a neutral hue that would make it more 'flexible' when it comes to matching it to a range of outfits.

As to the brim, the raw edge is nice, though were it me, I'd be thinking about a bound edge matching the ribbon.

duggap

Banned
When you talk with the hatter, ask him if you can post his name and contact information and web site if he has one. Maybe we can send him some business. From the hat you have it looks like the man knows what he is doing. Nice looking hat, by the way, enjoy it.:)

Spats McGee

One Too Many
The gods have indeed smiled on you, Slim! That's a beauty of a hat. I have to agree with these other gents that have requested more information on the hatter. There just aren't that many professional hatters out there and we'd love to know more.

carldelo

One Too Many
Cat's Pyjamas

That hat looks about perfect as-is, add a sweat band and I think it's very nicely done. You can always get the bound brim and contrasting ribbon on the next one to come down the pike...

Slim Portly

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
Nice looking hat Slim, how 'bout a pic of you wearing it when your done?
Not done yet, of course, but this is what it looks like donned now.

DSC04113.jpg

The hatter is out of town this week but when he returns I'll ask if he minds me posting his name and contact information here. Thank you one and all for your kind comments and suggestions.

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Great Hat!!!

Slim, as always, you look amazing! Anyone with your sense of style and class deserves at least one custom hat! What a great gift. And the outfit you have paired it with...well, it's magnificent. May this be just the first of many more custom lids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24