Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

George Raft - Forgotten Style Icon.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Not forgotten in my book! I admit to having a little (and by "little," I mean huge) crush on George Raft and even have a framed photograph of him relaxing in light colored, high-waisted stripe pants and a short sleeve black shirt, hanging in my office. Thanks for the link to the blog. :)

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I don't think much of Raft as an actor, but he was a snappy dresser.

Odd that the blogger, who fancies himself a "sartorial bon vivant," seems to exhibit little knowledge of 1930s menswear.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I recall watching an old movie at my grandmother's house when I was in high school. She walked in, saw George Ranft on the screen, and said "Ohh, George Raft, he always wore spats." So somebody remembers his style, anyway, even if he's not often cited to like Clark Gable or Cary Grant.

-Dave

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
Not forgotten here either! A revelation when I got the opportunity to see him on the big screen in a showing of "Bolero". That gent could move! Smokin'! An underrated performer for sure.

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
More George Raft

Hi all,
Many thanks to all for dropping by my blog. Its great to meet other people with an appreciation for George Raft - on other forums, there are always the inevitable "past and present style icon" lists which for whatever reason never seem to include Raft . . . :confused:

I posted Part II on Friday:

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/05/george-raft-americas-lost-sartorial_06.html

Just an fyi - my interest primarily lies with the racketeers of the twenties and thirties. Despite their criminal activities, they seemed to be regarded as larger than life characters that were reported on extensively in the newspapers of the era. The accounts of the day seemed to always point out how even the cheapest hood was apparently quite well-dressed. Some of my first posts were about dapper racketeers such as Pittsburgh Phil Strauss and Jack "Legs" Diamond.

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/04/jack-diamond-most-picturesque-racketeer.html

http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/2011/03/pittsburgh-phil-dandy-by-another-name.html

As I read more and more, Raft's name kept coming up in books such as "The Rise and Fall of the Jewish Gangster in America" as someone who was intimately familiar with the rackets and the racketeers (from having grown up around them and having worked in their nightclubs as one of the top dancing attractions of the era). So it seemed logical to do a post about him since I also love his films.

I apologize if my blog gives the impression that I'm an expert on men's styles of the 1930s and 1940s. Nothing could be further from the truth (that being said, please feel free to let me know where I went wrong; most of the clothing terminology referenced was taken from Raft's autobiography). The "sartorial bon vivant" was really just meant to be a sort of whimsical phrase that underscores my appreciation of men's style and men's shoes in particular. As you can see from the blog, most of the posts are really about shoes that I own or Japanaese shoe magazines that I've come across :eek: That's mainly where my interests lie.

Again, many thanks to those who have dropped by An Uptown Dandy. I'm sure you'll see more posts in the future about other well-dressed racketeers with a golden era film star thrown in occassionally for good measure!
Dan

PS I love what I've seen of the site so far and I think you'll be seeing me around here more often :D

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I have always liked George Raft. He had a good career and some very interesting friends like Ben "Bugsy" Siegel. He started off with bit parts and worked his way up into playing both the good guys and villians in a lot of RKO pictures in the 1940's and 1950's. I loved him in "Nocturne" and as the bad guy in "Rogue Cop". Regardless of what you may think of his acting abilities, I think we can all agree that George had style.

Regards

Kirk H.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi Dandy,

I read your postings about George Raft with great interest. Somehow I remember him from SOMEWHERE (probably from a film) but I can't remember where. He was obviously a snappy dresser if those photographs are anything to go by. Your blog is a wonderful collection of writings.

An Uptown Dandy

New in Town
Hi Dandy,

I read your postings about George Raft with great interest. Somehow I remember him from SOMEWHERE (probably from a film) but I can't remember where. He was obviously a snappy dresser if those photographs are anything to go by. Your blog is a wonderful collection of writings.

Many thanks for the kind words Shangas. I've been reading some of your blog posts on sunken ships - I may be there for awhile :) An incredible site.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
[Goofy]Gawwrrsh![/Goofy]

Thanks! I hope you like them. My blog covers all kinds of history. I'm currently writing a posting on the Dam Busters Raid of 1943.

I have only seen a handful of films that he has been in but recognize him instantly. Funny thing although I don't recall the cartoon specifically I do recall Raft being portrayed in one or more of the Warner Brothers cartoons.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Not forgotten here either! A revelation when I got the opportunity to see him on the big screen in a showing of "Bolero". That gent could move! Smokin'! An underrated performer for sure.

Always been a fan of Raft. I didn't know he was a dancer!

Mind you, in those days, everybody who wanted to act in Hollywood had to be able to at least tap dance

And yes, he did wears spats a lot. Sadly these days he's probably most remembered for turning down the role of Rick in Casablanca

Interesting article

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Of course he could dance!!!!!:eusa_clap also... he was one of the great loves of the Queen of MGM, Miss Norma Shearer!;)

17vtulxffr2q1qvf.jpg

look at him now!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

[video=youtube;UaQ7tUkp-FA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaQ7tUkp-FA[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou