Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

seabass

Call Me a Cab
MIKE !
your Killing me ! that Stingy is super cool !
reminds me of when i was a kid in new york & i used to hang around guys that had that look !
High Quality those Huckel's
Im dancing the HuckelBuck now !!!!!!:cool:
[video=youtube;rxQAhWJD07E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQAhWJD07E[/video]
I really can dance the hucklebuck too.......Its my ice breaker at partys

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
FYI! The Hückel situation was complicated by WWII and some what by WWI. Mike's hat was produced at Hückel Weilheim Hutfabrik, West Germany. This factory was started by expelled J. Hückel´s Söhne (JHS) employees in the early 1950s. The JHS main factory was in Novy Jicin, Czechoslovakia (was Neutitschein, Austria before WWI) was nationalized as TONAK after WWII. Prior to WWII JHS was the largest hat factory in Europe (3 locations) and made the finest Velour hats in the World. Hückel Weilheim Hutfabrik had trademark rights in Germany but outside of Germany TONAK had the rights. Hückel Weilheim Hutfabrik closed operations in the early 1970s. Hückel hats bought today are produced by TONAK (Novy Jicin, Czech Republic) which is the oldest hat factory in the world (originally JHS est 1799). If you want more detailed information you can check out the ever expanding Hückel thread on my website.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hueckel%c2%b4s-soehne-hueckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/

Steve, I just read your link and have to say how much I admire a collector with your passion. My Hückel quest just seems selfish compared to yours, but I'm still going to be on it!

Thanks for sharing all the great info.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
MIKE !
your Killing me ! that Stingy is super cool !
reminds me of when i was a kid in new york & i used to hang around guys that had that look !
High Quality those Huckel's
Im dancing the HuckelBuck now !!!!!!:cool:
[video=youtube;rxQAhWJD07E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxQAhWJD07E[/video]
I really can dance the hucklebuck too.......Its my ice breaker at partys

:eusa_clap That's krazy kool Che! Which version do you do, Jackie's or Art's? Gotta say I like Art's better and if you can do it your are the MAN!

That coat is faux fur and was a hand me down from my uncle, he used to wear it to 49er games at Candlestick in the 60's. I just found it cleaning out my closet and it's too small for me now. I wore it to a few high school football games when I was a kid, gets cold up here. It's gonna end up in the classifieds here soon, hope somebody will appreciate it.

I found this photo while doing some searching. It's from Berlin circa 1910. Some serious crown height (Josh Alert!) for a city style hat! Also worn brim down front and back with back bow(?). The lady's hat is also sporting some serious dimensions but typical of that time period. :)

8057895959_2e14537389_c.jpg

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
That crown is high and its a great looking hat. But I think its another case of wearing a hat too small, notice how high the hat sits on the gents head.
If it sat lower as I think hats should, the crown would lose a little of the 'high' look.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Wilke Caballero arrived today. It's a size 55 but I stretched it a bit and now he fits.
It's half a Fedora and half a Homburg. Caballero is the Spanish name for noble men.

wilkecaballero6.jpg

Took a quick look under the sweatband, and the label is dated 1953. I guess Mayer was the store that sold it, as it was made by: Oberbayerische Hutfabrik GmbH. Miesbach. The sweatband stamp says Mayer-Hut, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, which I guess is just inside the German side of the German-Austrian border.

I don't think I have come across one. Please post photos when you get a chance.

Manfred, Wow! I like everything about it! That style is very market unique. I would say mid to late 50s. By the way what does it look like snapped down?

Baron, Oberbayerische Hutfabrik rings a bell but I will have to do some digging. Looking forward to the photos!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany