Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Manfred, Probably just meant to wear brim up. I think it looks fantastic that way.

It sure looks like an up-brim to me. Very nice find, Manfred! I wouldn't reshape the brim. The flanging is perfect; the dip in the front and back sections of the brim is beautiful!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Nik and Mike thank you, guys. You have right, It looks good so as it is. I don't want reshape it.
Nik, yes, your guess is absolutely right, it's a upbrim Fedora and would be so worn.

Here are some photos of the Mayer Hut. At 57 cm, it is too big for me (it sits on my head but the slightest gust blows it off), so I'm looking to pass it on. If anyone's interested please PM me.

mayervelourhut1.jpg

mayervelourhut2.jpg

mayervelourhut3.jpg

mayervelourhut4.jpg

mayervelourhut5.jpg

Mini Porcelain Top Hat, Th. Scheunpflug Spezialhaus für Herren u. Damen-hüte, Erbrischestrasse Ecke Stollngasse, Freiberg, Saxony. Probably early 1900s.

8075115998_5936d1a29b_b.jpg

One Too Many
Nice hat ¡¡¡

Here are some photos of the Mayer Hut. At 57 cm, it is too big for me (it sits on my head but the slightest gust blows it off), so I'm looking to pass it on. If anyone's interested please PM me.

mayervelourhut1.jpg

Really a beautiful vintage hat ¡¡¡

mayervelourhut2.jpg

http://baronkurtzvintage.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/mayervelourhut3.jpg?w=545&h=613[/img

[img]http://baronkurtzvintage.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/mayervelourhut4.jpg?w=545&h=320

mayervelourhut5.jpg
Really a beautiful vintage hat ¡¡¡¡

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve, very nice your new Top Hat. :D

my Melone is arrived, Chapeau Beyer Haguenau wonderful shape, stiff like a helmet, size 56 but a bit to snug!
I don't know IF it's right here.

beyermelone7.jpg

beyermelone8.jpg

Manfred, That is a beautiful old Melone! German maker in Alsace counts in my book. If you give it a heavy steam around the base from the outside (let it really soften up) it might self conform (put it on while soft and let it harden).

I like to pickup old advertising gimmicks when I find them! :) I enjoy them as much as the hats!

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

These are awesome velours, Baron. Like Manfred said, its the same manufacture as mine, but my hat is from 1954. Whats interesting is that I also bought a size 57 which would be a 7 1/8. I wear a 7, and more towards a 7 long oval, and figured that the hat would be just a tad loose. Its HUGE on me. The 57's from this company fit more like 58's. I swear my hat feels like a 7 1/4.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Steve and Perry, thank you for your kind words, I appreciate it.

Steve, I compared the Beyer Melone with my Hückel Melone and the Hückel is soft and malleable.
The Beyer Melone is hard as steel, could it be that is for horse riding? I have no experience with melone's and for comparing only the Hückel.
Have you some hard melone under your melonen.

Manfred, I am sure it's not a riding Melone but just a more rigid / standard design. It should still soften up if you hit with a heavy dose of concentrated steam. Hückel was great at making light weight / flexible Melone. The ones I have wear more like a soft felt hat which was a great selling point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany