Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Beautiful hats Manfred, the German Stetson particularly kool. You might try a gas bath for the Habig stain if it gets too distracting to you. If it's an oil based stain that usually works.

Mini Ceramic Kreissäge (Boater), probably from Saxony and early 1900s. I have a similar mini Ceramic Top Hat (see first photo) from Saxony.

8232533883_44030d613c_b.jpg

8232463775_443b1aced5_b.jpg

8233534264_ea41b2613b_b.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
yttclothing, thanks for posting these photos!
I want to hear Steve's opinion to this Homburger.
He is the expert with such a big knowledge about German and Austrian hats.
My opinion, he could be from the 50s, maybe earlier.

Super! I am not familiar with the liner tip logo mark or the paper label format (very generic) but it's either from a German or Austrian maker. Can you take a close up photo of the liner tip logo? Also one of the stitching of the sweatband to the hat body? It's definetly at least early 1950s but could be older.

Thanks! Based on the sweatband stitching / construction I believe this hat is older than the 1950s. It could go back to the 1930s maybe further. I am not familair with the company mark. I see two figures with Top Hats standing on top of a soft felt hat but are there any letters you can make out on the figures? Also what are the letters (or word) after Form: on the paper label? By the way where did you find it?

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
the word is luckfa ... it came in with a shipment of vintage hats, I sell vintage things but hats have caught my attention and now I like to research them before deciding whether to keep them or sell them! It's hard to limit the amount I keep! This one caught my attention due to it not having any marking on the sweatband, normally I get Mayser or Wegner etc.

Last edited:

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I have been on your website many a time very interesting & very useful most hats i have delivered are German or Austrian so I gain a lot of knowledge from your site

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
A late 40's Mayser hat. 13 cm high crown front (bashed), 6.5 cm wide brim. I had to steam and re-block it. The rotten original leather sweatband also had to be replaced. But the felt is of such exquisite quality... my favorite hat. Found at a Munich fleamarket.

SAM_3438.jpg

Best Regards

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou